Beginners and Beyond

The dumbest anti-running law ever (Read 82 times)

Turtle Power

Tossing your empty Gu packet or water bottle in someone’s trashcan (or on the ground): Again, this law varies by city, but in many cases you can’t throw out your trash in someone else’s bin. According to Seattle 911, a police and crime blog, “No person shall throw, discard, or deposit litter on any street, sidewalk, or other public property within the City, on any private property within the City and not owned by the person, or in or upon any body of water within the jurisdiction of the City, whether from a vehicle or otherwise.”

Really??

The rest of the list.

Jaywalking: This is defined differently depending on the state, but in general, jaywalking laws require that pedestrians obey traffic control signals unless otherwise instructed by law enforcement. FindLaw explains that beginning to cross the street at an intersection with a “Don’t Walk” sign flashing would violate jaywalking laws. Many states require that pedestrians cross only at crosswalks, which can be designated by white lines or can be unmarked. An unmarked crosswalk is simply an area around 10 to 15 feet wide between two adjacent street corners. Some state and local laws allow pedestrians to cross certain streets outside of a crosswalk but require pedestrians to yield to any vehicles when doing so.

Generally, pedestrian traffic rules require that pedestrians yield to motorists any time they are outside of a crosswalk. Many local jaywalking laws forbid crossing an intersection diagonally, unless traffic signals specifically allow diagonal crossing. Many jaywalking laws forbid walking in the street when a sidewalk is available. Disregarding signs or barricades put up to guide pedestrians also constitutes jaywalking.

Public urination: Urinating in public is illegal in every state. According to CriminalDefenseLawyer.com, violations of local ordinances are generally punishable by fines, community service or both. Local governments set the amounts of the fines. A typical fine might be from $50 to $500, depending on the circumstances.

Spitting: Think twice before hocking that loogie. According to the Massachusessets Legislature website, “Whoever expectorates or spits upon any public sidewalk, or upon any place used exclusively or principally by pedestrians, or, except in receptacles provided for the purpose, in or upon any part of any city … shall be punished by a fine of not more than twenty dollars.”

Running on the wrong side of the road: According to Alaska law, “where a sidewalk is not available, a pedestrian walking upon a highway shall walk on a shoulder as far as practicable from the edge of the roadway. Where neither a sidewalk nor a shoulder is available, a pedestrian walking on a highway shall walk as near as practicable to the outside edge of the highway and, if walking along a two-way roadway, shall walk only on the left side of the roadway. No pedestrian may walk on a controlled-access highway except in an emergency.” In Washington state, “Where sidewalks are not provided … move only on the left side of the roadway or its shoulder facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction and upon meeting an oncoming vehicle shall move clear of the roadway.”

Running in the street when there are sidewalks: In Washington, D.C., “Where sidewalks are provided, it shall be unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadway,” BeStreetSmart.net reports.

Running at night (if you’re younger than 18): In many cities, there are curfew laws in place to “prohibit or limit your right to be out in public at certain times and are intended to maintain a certain level of order and safety in public spaces,” FindLaw reports. Most curfew laws apply only to those under the age of 18, while other curfew laws are enacted temporarily in response to a natural disaster or civil disturbance.

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2015/08/just-for-fun/7-laws-you-might-be-breaking-on-your-run_45381

LRB

Caller: 911? Um, hi yes. Someone just threw some trash in my garbage bin.

911: GTFOH.

Caller: Excuse me?

911: No really, get your ass off the phone, idiot.

lol

LRB

I do not run in the streets, but I spit like a flippin' Saint Bernard. lol

In fact, just reading that makes me want to spit. Where's my spittoon? lol

Yes to all of those (on the same night, even), and I'll raise you an open container.

I spit like a flippin' Saint Bernard. 

+1 OMG I spit so much.

Dave

Yes to all of those 

+1, except to running at night while under 18

Dave

Cyberic

I spit like a flippin' Saint Bernard. lol

I urinate like a Bull Terrier. Every flippin' lamp post. Can't control myself. It tends to affect my pace a little.

LRB

I urinate like a Bull Terrier. Every flippin' lamp post. Can't control myself. It tends to affect my pace a little.

Start running with blinders on. lol

LRB

+1, except to running at night while under 18

When I ran at night before I was 18, I was not a runner yet. Big grin

happylily

There is a good reason for every one of those laws, but common sense should be exercised whenever we catch someone breaking them.

For example, I have a garbage enclosure that I had built at the cottage. It's to avoid that animals rip the bags open, etc... Garbage disposal on the island is EXTREMELY strict and if one item is in the wrong colored bag, or not disposed of correctly, the garbage men will tag the bag or item and just leave it there. It's a friggin' nightmare. So what happens? Unknown neighbors leave their crap, such as huge old TVs, broken chairs, bags of food remains mixed with recyclable products, etc.. in my enclosure. ALL THE EFFING TIME! All of it is of course rejected by PEI Waste Management and I have to pick everything up and bring it to the dump, AFTER I've sorted the guilty garbage out. Plus, I have to pay a fee to leave my garbage at the dump. So I say hang the people who throw their garbage on my property... OTOH, if someone were to throw his GU, empty bottle or piece of gum in the appropriate bags (the gum in organic, the bottle in recyclable and the GU packet in waste), then I don't mind, because I'm a very generous person. Big grin

As for jaywalking, I'm from Montreal. Contravention or no contravention, if one doesn't jaywalk (and diagonally please), he's a wuss. Plain and simple. The key is to not be seen by the cops. I like that they have started implementing that very anti-jaywalking law here, because it adds to the thrill of jaywalking.

Public urination... Hey, do what you want, guys, I don't get offended by little things like that... In a race, though, it should be a cause for disqualification. If women have to waste precious seconds/minutes waiting for a porta-potty, so should men. It's only fair.

Spitting... What the hell? I just clear my throat by coughing and then I recycle (trying to avoid the word swallow, here).  Come to think of it, it also sounds gross... Okay then... you can do what you want. We're both gross, I guess. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

There is a good reason for every one of those laws, but common sense should be exercised whenever we catch someone breaking them.

For example, I have a garbage enclosure that I had built at the cottage. It's to avoid that animals rip the bags open, etc... Garbage disposal on the island is EXTREMELY strict and if one item is in the wrong colored bag, or not disposed of correctly, the garbage men will tag the bag or item and just leave it there. It's a friggin' nightmare. So what happens? Unknown neighbors leave their crap, such as huge old TVs, broken chairs, bags of food remains mixed with recyclable products, etc.. in my enclosure. ALL THE EFFING TIME! All of it is of course rejected by PEI Waste Management and I have to pick everything up and bring it to the dump, AFTER I've sorted the guilty garbage out. Plus, I have to pay a fee to leave my garbage at the dump. So I say hang the people who throw their garbage on my property... OTOH, if someone were to throw his GU, empty bottle or piece of gum in the appropriate bags (the gum in organic, the bottle in recyclable and the GU packet in waste), then I don't mind, because I'm a very generous person. Big grin

As for jaywalking, I'm from Montreal. Contravention or no contravention, if one doesn't jaywalk (and diagonally please), he's a wuss. Plain and simple. The key is to not be seen by the cops. I like that they have started implementing that very anti-jaywalking law here, because it adds to the thrill of jaywalking.

Public urination... Hey, do what you want, guys, I don't get offended by little things like that... In a race, though, it should be a cause for disqualification. If women have to waste precious seconds/minutes waiting for a porta-potty, so should men. It's only fair.

Spitting... What the hell? I just clear my throat by coughing and then I recycle (trying to avoid the word swallow, here).  Come to think of it, it also sounds gross... Okay then... you can do what you want. We're both gross, I guess. 

Hilarious! All. Of. It.

Mmmmm...beer

I jaywalk 6-8 times per run, depending on my route.  I hate waiting at intersections, so if I can't cross when I get there, I just turn and run down the adjacent street until traffic is clear enough for me to cross, then head back to the intersection and get back on my route.  

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

bluerun

Super B****

I jaywalk 6-8 times per run, depending on my route.  I hate waiting at intersections, so if I can't cross when I get there, I just turn and run down the adjacent street until traffic is clear enough for me to cross, then head back to the intersection and get back on my route.  

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

Hilarious! All. Of. It.

#artbydmcbride

I don't spit....but I can snot-rocket like a pro!  

Runners run