Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins (Read 15 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I'm going to try to run the next 4 days in a row since I'm not sure how easy it will be to run in Iceland.  The last two days our hotel has a gym, but other than that none of the hotels have gyms.  This is pretty common for European hotels unless you stay in the big chain hotels.  Anyway I figure with yaktrax and some ambition I'll get at least some runs in while I'm there :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Trying for 7 and weights tonight.  Still coughing but we'll see.

Jill, go for it.  Enjoy Iceland!  We are headed there for the marathon in August.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Jill, Hope you can get your runs in the next 4 days.  Don't pressure yourself to run on vacation, though it can be really, really fun to run in new different locations.

DR-- good luck on your run & weights tonight.  And you dang beast you, you have a marathon in Iceland?   You always just blow me away with everything you do.

I'm so gonna sound like a Debby downer.   Last week I felt so tired, and ended up with only 10 miles for the whole week.  Gave it 3 days off, and today, it was like running through quicksand.  I felt so drained.  I guess I was expecting it to be easy after the break last week.  Anyway, got in 4 miles (finally)  I probably did 2 extra miles walking!  Uggh@ my body.  I feel so betrayed!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Wandering Wally

Happy Monday all!

I've been fighting off a cold. Still, managed 5 miles on Saturday and 6 miles on Sunday. Rest day today.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Zelanie

Jill, that Iceland trip sounds awesome!

Cherie, I always feel sluggish at the start of the week following a cutback. Usually I feel better by the end of that week.

PADRunner

Another day another pain. Woke up this morning and my right heel has decided to  act up. RD for me.

GinnyinPA

Jill - have a great trip!  I hope you get to see the Northern Lights.  Maybe do some x-c skiing in lieu of running?

Cherie - sorry your energy is lagging.

Damaris - are you collecting countries as well as states for your maniac points?

PAD - sorry your heel is bothering you.

MJ - I hope your cold gets better with the rest.

AFM:  I'm in New Mexico at the moment.  We spent the last two nights at Palo Duro State Park in Texas, so I was able to do some gorgeous trail running.  I just found out the forecast is for heat next weekend.  Not what I wanted to see on marathon day.  OTOH, it might be cloudy, which would help.

Docket_Rocket

For Maniac stars, countries are hard because you would have to do multiple countries in one year or so, but we are taking advantage of the places we want to see and combining them with races.  But yes, most of the ones we are doing this year should give us a new state.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page