Beginners and Beyond

What's your favorite hip flexor stretch? (Read 74 times)

Hip Redux

Whatcha got?

I've been trying this but either I'm doing it wrong or it doesn't agree with my back or I'm really damn inflexible.

Lizard pose. As usual with yoga poses you may not look like the picture. Back knee can be on the ground, and elbows/forearms may not make it all the way down. But you'll feel your hips opening up.

Dave

meaghansketch

Supine/upside down pigeon

(regular pigeon doesn't agree with my knees)

http://yogagypsy.blogspot.com/2013/07/yoga-tip-tuesdays-3-great-ways-to.html

Hip Redux

Do you have a photo of what that might look like for someone with absolutely no flexibility?  Because.... I don't think I could get anywhere close to that.   Is this something you do in your crazy yoga class?

ETA - I googled to try to find the answer to my question and I found this.   Going in the wrong direction!

Lizard pose. As usual with yoga poses you may not look like the picture. Back knee can be on the ground, and elbows/forearms may not make it all the way down. But you'll feel your hips opening up

Hip Redux

Supine/upside down pigeon

(regular pigeon doesn't agree with my knees)

http://yogagypsy.blogspot.com/2013/07/yoga-tip-tuesdays-3-great-ways-to.html

Is a pigeon good for the front of the hip?  I've used it mostly for like glute/back of the leg stuff.

meaghansketch

Is a pigeon good for the front of the hip?  I've used it mostly for like glute/back of the leg stuff.

I definitely feel it in the front of the hips but YMMV.

I have a yoga DVD I like--"The Pursuit of Happy Hips" -- which I feel does a good job of targeting that whole hip area, which is really tight for me.  I have to do a lot of modifications on the poses but I always feel better after I do it.  It has 4 different levels of workouts, from restorative to more intense.

Hip Redux

I definitely feel it in the front of the hips but YMMV.

I have a yoga DVD I like--"The Pursuit of Happy Hips" -- which I feel does a good job of targeting that whole hip area, which is really tight for me.  I have to do a lot of modifications on the poses but I always feel better after I do it.  It has 4 different levels of workouts, from restorative to more intense.

Ooh, cool!   My hips are super tight (and super weak, in addition, but working on that) and I'm noticing that it's just getting worse as I work on the strength thing.

I can't do a full yoga class since I manage to always injure myself when I do it, but specific poses are ok.   Something like this might at least give me some other ideas on how to get at the hips.

Do you have a photo of what that might look like for someone with absolutely no flexibility?  Because.... I don't think I could get anywhere close to that.   Is this something you do in your crazy yoga class?

Try this.

Dave

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Lizard pose. As usual with yoga poses you may not look like the picture. Back knee can be on the ground, and elbows/forearms may not make it all the way down. But you'll feel your hips opening up.

We call those spidermans.

Hip Redux

OK, that is more my speed. Big grin

Try this.

MothAudio

Thanks!

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

This is what the PT gave me.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I typically get between 2 chairs and do the "lean" forward in that standard hip-flexor stretch pose.

Then I also take that same position and stretch really long by doing an almost "splits" like pose.  In the 1st pose I keep my knees and feet where they are and simply "lean" forward.  The 2nd pose is about stretching out long ways.

Both versions I do to each side so the left front hip flexor and the right front hip flexor get stretched.

THEN IF YOU'RE REALLY AMBITIOUS, THERE'S THIS GUY'S VERSION.......

If your quads are not well loosened already, this move may bring tears! Shocked

Randy

Hip Redux

This is what the PT gave me.

I can't see!

So I did the modified Dave yoga stretch.  Worked ok.  Leaning forward on my hands seems to be easier on my back than the one I was starting with, so that's good.

Redrum - wtf, no way am I able to do that stretch.  I tried it. lol

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Oski,

The only reason I'd opt out of doing the blocks on the floor is that if you do it between two chairs, you can increase the stretch between the upper torso and the quad.  Notice in the pic that the gal on the floor is still not even straight between her stomach and thigh.  They should be *at least* perfectly straight.

If you get yourself between two chairs and kneel you can control that better.  Keep your torso perfectly vertical and then stretch so that your thigh goes behind you so that it's *past* vertical creating more stretch.

Remember that the key hip flexor troublemaker is the iliopsoas (or "psoas") muscle.  It connects from your femur......in front of & thru your pelvis......and attaches to your spine.  Once you can picture that, you'll understand why you need to get your torso and thigh apart from each other.  Anything that leaves you bent forward at the waist will simply not stretch the psoas muscle.

Randy