Beginners and Beyond

Fantastic Friday Penguins (Read 21 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

Since I got my tempo run out of the way yesterday, today is just an easy run day for me :-)  Probably somewhere around 4 miles, but the plan calls for 30-45 minutes, so maybe I'll just do 3.

D - so weird about your rib -- hopefully all of your pain subsides now!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

TGIF.  Everyone have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Good morning!

TGIF.  Everyone have a great day!

How's your week of rest going? Smile you'll probably still beat my mileage because you are a beast! Smile

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

How's your week of rest going? Smile you'll probably still beat my mileage because you are a beast! Smile

I have a sore foot that is making me nervous.  But, it's Friday and the sun is shining- it's all good.

Runner with a riding problem.

PADRunner

Morning, 6 more on the mile pile.

Friday is Friday again for me. Back on M-F till April.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6-7 miles tonight.  Woke up with a migraine so I am having coffee and with an extra shot to boot.

Jill, enjoy the easy run.

PR, hiya!

PAD, nice 6.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

TGIF indeed. TFGIF, even. My experiments aren't working, I got locked out of my car yesterday afternoon on my way home from work, and the kid got sent home with a note saying she's racked up $20+ in school lunch charges - I send that little sneak with a bag lunch every single day! She's only fessing up to 2 lunches, I've emailed the lunch program to see if there was some kind of mistake - if it's really all her, she's paying for it out of her piggy bank!

Running 4-5 later, heading to the gym now, trying to make my experiments work in between.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jill, have a good easy run. Nice that you feel good enough to add in tempo runs already!

PR, are you really resting?  I know your team isn't competing this week (neither is mine bc we got our butts kicked,   ) but I thought you had a weekly increasing mileage goal.

PAD, keep adding up those miles.

Damaris, I hope the caffeine kicks that headache to the curb.

Lauren, I wonder what the kid found so appealing in the cafeteria?  The school where I volunteer has horrifyingly bad lunches.  I pity the kids.  More than half of the food gets thrown away.

Jack, I didn't register for the Chino Hills race right away bc I was waiting for someone to send me a discount code.  By the time I got the code, the weather forecast had gone from a high of 77 to 85.  (this morning it's back down to 83).  Anyway I decided that was no good for a race with no shade that starts at 8AM and would probably take me 4-5 hours.  So, tomorrow I'm back to my regularly scheduled long run instead.

5-6 easy planned for me.  Then I get to go to a Thanksgiving potluck this afternoon.  I got a very late start to the official Fall Baking Season this year - usually by September, as soon as I see the first pumpkin in the store, I'm baking pumpkin bread and other goodies.  It's been a busy semester.  Anyway last night I baked a Pecan Pumpkin Dessert for the potluck.   Mmm, can't wait.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Friday!  I have two 5K scheduled this weekend, one for Saturday and one for Sunday.

Very nice run/walk in my neighborhood last night.  Got in 3.8 miles with a couple of pretty good-sized hills thrown in.  Today is a rest day and at work it is our Thanksgiving luncheon at noon.  Probably will want to nap at my desk after that, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Fellow Flightless Birds!!  Well, I had a sore throat last night, and combining that with how tired I've been the past few days, I decided to bail on rehearsal in favor of an early bedtime.  Which was good, because I'm definitely fighting off a cold (which explains my sudden craving for grapefruit juice).  Since I have quartet coaching tomorrow and I'm rehearsing with another pick-up quartet on Sunday (one song, one performance) I think I made the right choice.  Woo-hoo!!

sapf -- Enjoy your easy miles!!

Pleasant -- good morning!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 6 done!!

Docket -- Hope the rib at least is feeling better!!  Good luck with your 6-7!!

Lauren -- Geez, what a day!!  Good luck with the 4-5, and with the experiments and the food $$!!

Brilliant -- Enjoy the 5-6 easy and the potluck!!

Scotty -- good luck on your races, and enjoy the Thanksgiving luncheon!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Brill: There is a 5k in my town tomorrow. It is the one race we have so I'm running it. I went to the packet pickup last night and the shirts are nice. You should come up and run. Smile  http://www.fit4fall.com/

I will try to do a few easy miles later and we have the awards banquet for the XC team. Sigh...  Tomorrow is the 5k and then we're off to Zion. Yes sir.

GinnyinPA

Jill - enjoy your short and easy run.

PR- good morning!

PAD - no horse races over the winter?  Must be nice to be able to enjoy weekends again.

DR - I hope the head feels better.  How is the rib?

HopesMom - I hope your cold is better today.  Have fun this weekend.

Scotty - another busy weekend.  Have fun.

Jack - have fun in Zion.  Sorry about the banquet, but it is one of the prices of having an active child.

Lauren - your daughter's friends probably do the school lunch, so she wants to do what they do.  Maybe if she makes her own lunch, she'll be more likely to eat it?

Allison - that dessert sounds delicious.  Have fun at the potluck.

Rest day for me.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Lauren - can you tell the school not to give her lunch?  If she doesn't have cash on her to pay for it they shouldn't let her randomly charge food.

Docket_Rocket

Ginny, I am breathing better, at least that is good.  We'll see when I run tonight.  It seems to be aggravated by exercise and Pilates so if it's in place and it's nothing like the gallbladder, that should be gone by now.  Wish me luck!

Lauren, ugh.  Hoping it's all a mistake or maybe she is just too hungry?  Sorry, but it's also funny.

Brilliant, enjoy the potluck and the run.

Scotty, nice run.

Hope's Mom, feel better soon.

Jack, enjoy the run and the awards banquet.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page