Beginners and Beyond

Boxing Day Penguins are sleeping in (Read 17 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

Happy Kwanzaa, Boxing Day and St. Stephens Day.  Any miles on the menu?

I need to do a good run to make up for all I ate yesterday.  It's another wet day, so I'll probably end up doing at least part of the 10 on the TM.  Ben woke us up early again, so I need to find some energy first.

PADRunner

Morning, i got 30 on the elliptical done. Not sure what the rest of the day holds.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

6 for us before the rain started.  I don't think it made a dent in yesterday's food orgy.

Zelanie

Probably not making up for yesterday's candy consumption, but I will likely run 6ish today on the TM.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

On Saturday, Dec 26th, I enjoyed doing 3.5 miles in O.P. Schnabel Park, a local city park with paved and off-road trails. I took my camera with me on this run and took a few photos of the area I was running in. I started at the YMCA, did a loop through an adjacent neighborhood that had a trail leading into the park. After I was on the trails, I enjoyed the peacefulness of the park – although I did have to do a lot of uphill on one of the trails. Then it was around the local Little League baseball fields and back onto the final paved trail that that took me back to the YMCA. Here is a ‘slideshow”” of my route:

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/nru443/slideshow/OP%20Schnabel

"Happy Finisher" back at the YMCA

photo 040_zpsohnjrp7q.jpg

My new 'red socks' bling from "Sock Guy" got their first run today and worked well...very comfortable!

photo 041_zpsqdroubap.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Hello Penguins!

Ginny, I ate too much yesterday too.  

I ran 5 this morning. It was really really windy - we are having gusts up to 50pmh with tree branches down!  Not looking good for the pinata busting at our party tonight.   My husband keeps saying we'll move it inside  - but I can tell you that is not going to happen.

Philliefan33

Tried a new activity today-- DD took me to a rock gym. She belayed me on a few top rope climbs and we did some bouldering. I had fun, but will definitely be sore tomorrow. I'm thinking of adding climbing to my cross training, especially in the winter when I can't kayak or paddle board.

After carb-loading yesterday and climbing today, all I could manage was two miles late this afternoon.

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

Day 5 of no running - got dressed for it this afternoon but after walking around a bit and still having some occasional calf pain on impact I called it off. Maybe tomorrow. It's feeling really, really close to 100% healed and I can handle another day or two off if it means coming back pain-free with no setbacks. PT exercises and 5/3/1 overhead press day instead.

PADRunner

Another hour on the elliptical this morning for me.

From the Internet.

I jogged two miles and I'm not limping yet, so that's good, hopefully? Still not really feeling 100% but doesn't feel like it made anything worse (and brought to the surface some other knots and kinks that need to be worked out - just normal I-haven't-moved-for-five-days type stuff).

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Sorry I was MIA yesterday but in and out online.  Went to watch the new Tarantino movie yesterday, and ran 4.56 with hubby after lifting weights.  The weather was so yucky we cut the run short.  Ran 15 with the last 5 @ MP on the TM and cut that one short from 18 because of all the coughing yesterday's run outside gave me.  Oh, well.  Summer all year long?  Meh!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

I had my first 20 on the schedule today.  I was sorta looking forward to it and picked a route I'd done before and enjoyed but this time it turned into a sufferfest.  Heavy fog when I started meant I was soaked from the start, even though it burned off after a few miles.  The rain held off until after I got home. The route was rolling hills, which seemed a lot more frequent and steeper than I remembered. I kept the pace slow but still ran out of energy at about mile 13, then got stomach cramps at about 16.  I ended up doing a lot of walking to try to get the cramps to ease and to get my heart rate lower.  I even sat down a couple of times and rested a bit, but as soon as I started running again, the stomach pain was back.  When I stopped I got really nauseous and dizzy. Jim passed by when I was about a mile and a half from home.  I got in the car, drank a pint of cold water, rested while we drove home, then I went ahead and finished the last .9 to make up my 20.  I haven't had a really bad run for a while.  I guess I was due.  Last week was a big mileage week for me (56 miles) and I think I just started out too tired.  Aside from a few grumbles from my hamstring, my body behaved.  It just didn't want to run.

PADRunner

I had my first 20 on the schedule today.  I was sorta looking forward to it and picked a route I'd done before and enjoyed but this time it turned into a sufferfest.  Heavy fog when I started meant I was soaked from the start, even though it burned off after a few miles.  The rain held off until after I got home. The route was rolling hills, which seemed a lot more frequent and steeper than I remembered. I kept the pace slow but still ran out of energy at about mile 13, then got stomach cramps at about 16.  I ended up doing a lot of walking to try to get the cramps to ease and to get my heart rate lower.  I even sat down a couple of times and rested a bit, but as soon as I started running again, the stomach pain was back.  When I stopped I got really nauseous and dizzy. Jim passed by when I was about a mile and a half from home.  I got in the car, drank a pint of cold water, rested while we drove home, then I went ahead and finished the last .9 to make up my 20.  I haven't had a really bad run for a while.  I guess I was due.  Last week was a big mileage week for me (56 miles) and I think I just started out too tired.  Aside from a few grumbles from my hamstring, my body behaved.  It just didn't want to run.

Good job getting it done.

Zelanie

Ginny, 20 miles is a long way to run in any conditions.  Glad you got through it!