Beginners and Beyond

New Year New Penguin Weekend (Read 25 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

I'm going to do something sometime today but it's too early to tell what that will be.

Good luck Jack.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy New Year everyone !!!

Short run for us later if it warms up.

Good luck weekend racers.

Zelanie

Did the group NYE trail run- 3.5 miles up, up, up to the top of a hill in 20-some degree weather:

From the top we could see the whole town and the fireworks below, and somebody brought sparkling wine.  We put all our headlamps out to light the shot.

Then it was back down the hill for the first miles of 2016!

I'm heading off in a bit to help out at the club's free 2K/5K.  I may also jog the course if there is time.  Gotta stay ahead of that pace bunny!

GinnyinPA

Z -that was a pretty steep climb/descent, especially in the dark.  Nice way to start the new year though.

PAD and Jerry - enjoy your miles, whatever they may be.

I'll do either 6 or 12 today.  We're driving to MD tomorrow for the weekend so my runs this week have to be pushed forward.  It's cold and gray and looks like rain outside, so I don't know if I want to  run for an hour or two.  We'll see how I feel after walking the dog.

Zelanie

Ginny- One nice thing about that route is that it's not very technical- it's pretty much logging road the whole way (we did take the trail down the first part of our way back).  There were some fallen branches to dodge, but other than that the footing was very good for the dark.

Hope that you're able to get your full run in today, and have a good trip!

PAD- Have a good day, and thanks for getting us started!

Jerry- Hope it warms up for your run!

Docket_Rocket

Morning! Happy New Year!  I have 10 tonight, on the TM since it's already 90F.  FFS.  Give me some relief!

PAD, enjoy whatever you decide.

Jerry, enjoy the run later.

Z, nice tough route.  For me, LOL.

Ginny, enjoy the 6 or the 12.

Have a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hi Pens & Happy New Year!

I did an easy mile on the TM with DH on the TM next time me.  He's in the miles game and just needs to get back to running period.

We saw Star Wars this morning -- New Year's Day morning was an excellent time to see a movie -- there were maybe 15 other people in the theater in total :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

I did an easy mile on the TM with DH on the TM next time me.  He's in the miles game and just needs to get back to running period.

We saw Star Wars this morning -- New Year's Day morning was an excellent time to see a movie -- there were maybe 15 other people in the theater in total :-)

And those 15 were probably seeing SW for the 3-4th time. :-D

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

And those 15 were probably seeing SW for the 3-4th time. :-D

That's probably true.  Nerds up early on New Year's Day :-)

I'm about to head down to the TM to do something before we head out for the day.  A friend got reservations at Gramercy Tavern (fancy pants place) and so we're having lunch there before board games at google.  This means I have to dress nicely - which I don't do very often.  I have either really fancy clothes (for cocktail parties, weddings, and the like) and really casual clothes (for work/everyday living, since I tutor).  Dilemmas.  I guess I should fill that gap in my wardrobe some day, but I hate hate hate shopping =(  Anyway, I figure it is better to get some small distance out of the way now rather than risk not running at all.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Will run 6 on the TM and maybe lift some weights later.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Jill, that sounds nice.  I was looking up Gramercy Tavern the other day and they looked awesome!  I've gone to Stitch Fix to add a few slightly nicer pieces to my wardrobe, and I like it, because I don't have to go in to a store (they mail you the clothes).

I'll probably run 6ish some time today.

MTA- Yesterday we walked the dogs and verified that the path is no longer flooded at the 2-mile point, so that's good news for running outside.  Some of the flooded bits were still there as broken ice sheets off to the side.  We also saw a skunk and were able to call the dogs away from it so that nobody got sprayed.

PADRunner

An hour of core and leg work this morning at the gym. Going to make another attempt at running tomorrow..

GinnyinPA

I ended up doing 13 on the TM yesterday and 6.6 outside today.  Tomorrow will be a much needed belated rest day.  I ended up with 61.8 for the week, thanks to moving up my LR.  No wonder I'm tired.

Jill - the only movies we've seen this year we ended up being almost the only people in the theater.  At one there was one other couple.  It's nice because you don't have to worry about people  talking or texting or eating noisily during the movie.  I've heard about Gramercy Tavern.  I hope it was as good as its reputation.

Damaris - I hope the run and weights went well.

Z - I'm glad you were able to avoid the skunk yesterday.  Your dogs are much better trained than mine.  Enjoy your six.

PAD - good luck with the run tomorrow.  How does the knee feel?

Scotty - I assume you're resting up after your very busy racing schedule?

Philliefan33

Yes, he does!  (We are on the same team). Thank you for helping.

Mel, I also used Stitch Fix recently to help me update/get some nicer things. Not only do I not like going to a store, I tend to buy the same styles over and over without even trying new things. I'm definitely not stylish. Stitch Fix sent me things that I wouldn't he even tried at the store but I ended up keeping them because they worked. When she saw the outfit I put together, DD knew right away that I had help. Brat.

Today was a SRD from running, but I did yoga and 10 miles on the spin bike at the gym. Time to shower and eat.

Note to those of you with access to Wegmans.    If your store ever has lobster Mac and cheese for sale, buy a few and freeze them. It's heavenly...and I'm having some for lunch.