Beginners and Beyond

increased heart rate in cold (Read 33 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I know that 1 possibility is tech error and the HRM part of my Garmin 220 is malfunctioning. That said, I've noticed that the last few HM paces runs I did in cold temps (like 32 or well under), my heart rate readings are about 10 bpm higher than usual. Is this normal? This is the first year I've made myself do quality in the cold, last year, I pretty much skipped it and did only easy stuff outside or did it on the treadmill, where my effort is lower because my treadmill is old and feels kinda scary at higher pace.

With both my 220 and old 405, I get a fluky high reading when I switch from my warm up walk to running, I think this may be a static thing. I ignore that blip. It definitely is not "true" heart rate, I have stopped to take it manually and it is not even close to what the Garmin says.

delicate flower

Yeah, my HR is always higher in the winter compared to the same paces in warmer temps.

<3

Cyberic

I don't wear my strap enough to say, but I know that, come Spring, all those Winter doubts disappear as everything becomes easy again.