Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins - We have Free Admission Today Only! (Read 208 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!  Swim today, and then run tonight.  Probably another week 3 run, and then we can start week 4 come Monday.  I am SOOOOO glad it's Friday!  You'd think after a 3-day week I'd still be fresh and up, but unfortunately I like sitting on the couch playing video games with DH too much!  I'm also doing the 30-day plank challenge with the Masters group, and now laughing is difficult.  Guess it's doing something for me!

Gustav -- sounds like you had a busy exercise night!!

Kristi -- enjoy your RD!!

Jen -- I like your building idea, woo-hoo for getting it done!!

Bill -- It was 35 when I got to work, and I had on a hat, gloves, scarf ... it's still cold!!

Docket -- have fun with your miles and weights!!

D2 -- have a good loose run!!

kristin -- woo-hoo for no pain!!

Bin -- partial indoor track?  That would be weird ...

Awood -- you've got this whole plan going on, woo-hoo!!

Jerryb -- hope DW feels better!!

Phillie -- have a good SRD!!

traci -- hope your SRD cures all your woes!!

hog -- I ran across myrtls when I was looking around for strengthening exercises.  Check on YouTube.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Myrtl is a strength routine for the hips. Supppsed to help recurrance of ITBS.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Great runs everybody.

I called the doctor.  Trying to have her see me Tuesday morning.  I am sure she wants to see the pics of the reaction before she gives me another shot.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Good morning friends

I just knocked out 5. Cold wind sucks to run in, but in a few months I will be begging for cool weather again. So I guess I should be happy with this stuff.

Looks like a lot of good runs this morning. Keep up the good work.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

From the Internet.

Hi penguins. Feeling kind of sad/pouty today. Ugh I hope I never have another injury again. Trying out the stationary bike this afternoon just because I need to do *something* - no cardio = I've been sleeping terribly and MTA: forgetting to finish my posts :P and feeling pretty anxious (maybe just due to the lack of good sleep).

Bin, MNMickey - 2 months for shin splints?? Surprised And I was thinking I got off easy with "just" shin splints and not a stress fracture. I think I might die before that much time is up Surprised

So follow-up question - I took 2 full weeks off then ran a mile on New Year's Day. Does that totally set my recovery back to square one, or was it short enough not to make that much of a difference? Shin itself feels good today but the muscle next to it that I massaged pretty aggressively feels bruise-y.

Snickers1230

Morning penguins!

I've been having a great running week so far! I made a commitment to do better with my training and so far so good Smile  I know I'm only 4 days into the year, but I'm feeling really positive about this year!  Anyway, I've already run more miles Tues-Thurs than I have in a while so I'm going to rest today and do an easy shorter run tomorrow.  And since I've already done a long run this week, I'll use Sunday as a mid-long run.

Happy New Year everyone!

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My friend, who got me into running, got shin splints 4 weeks before her last Half. She took off until the race, ran it anyway and rocked it and was fine after. 4 weeks was all she needed. So it depends.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Decided I better have a plan so 5x400 intervals on the track.  Felt really good (but I missed my DRP).  Warm up on the way, so hope to get a 10 miler in next week.

QUESTION...  Max HR went to 155 from 135 on an average run.  Should it be higher for intervals?

Docket_Rocket

That cannot be your Max HR.

Decided I better have a plan so 5x400 intervals on the track.  Felt really good (but I missed my DRP).  Warm up on the way, so hope to get a 10 miler in next week.

QUESTION...  Max HR went to 155 from 135 on an average run.  Should it be higher for intervals?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - great cross training.  I agree... pretty determined and good for you!

Kristi - enjoy the RD.  Smart planning on your part IMO.

Jen - good for you getting up.

Bill - well done.

Damaris - hope the work day rocks for you!  Good luck at the doc's.

Dave - I envy your lunch time run!

Kristin - AWESOME!

Bin - figures!

Awood - hope the cut back takes care of it.

Jerry - I got lost on a track once... ran in circles for an hour but I absolutely refused to stop and ask for directions!  LOL   I cannot officer advice on the intervals question.

PF33 - I say you did the right thing.  You're legs were telling you something.  I wonder if the early hunger is part of the equation to your legs feeling heavy?

Traci - yuck...  to both the cold and the shin.

Tomas - I agree.

Mitch - I was wondering the same thing, assuming it isn't the myrtle plant nor my friends grandma.  he he

HM - it only hurts when you laugh?!  Wink

Lauren - I'm not familiar with the entire injury story but if you feel good and go for an easy run with no aggravation of the original injury, I say stick to that level and gradually build from there.  Cut back if you do and leave plenty of rest/recovery time.

Snickers - way to rock!  Keep it up!

AFM - 6 on the dreadmill after work last night.  I am going to try to get in another 3 today since tomorrow is an SRD.  A week from tomorrow I have a 12 on the radar.  I will probably go easy most of this coming week.  I am **officially** registered for my first marathon - October 6th.  Nervous, excited.  The fee is paid and no backing out now.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Howdy, Colony!  So much for snow here in San Antonio, lol.  All that rhubarb over nothing.  The temps actually warmed up a bit overnight and this morning it was 38 degrees when I headed to work.  We are getting some rain though.   Supposed to taper off by tomorrow.  I did run around the university campus after work yesterday.  4:30 PM and it was  a pretty brisk 44 degrees with a 20 mph wind blowing making it feel like 38 according to Weather Guy.  Long as I kept moving I felt okay.  Ended up with 3.4 miles.   As I headed back inside the warm university gym, I was thinking how lucky I am that I can go run in different places and then shower and change after my run so I don't have to drive home wet in the cold weather, because of all the facilities I have available to me:  University gym at 1604 campus and University Downtown Campus gym in downtown San Antonio; Fort Sam Houston gyms (there are two); Lackland Air Force Base gyms (two) and Randolph Air Force Base gym.  So...seven gyms and shower facilities available to me, nice!  All for a great price:  FREE.  Well, I do pay a minimal service fee to use the university facilities, but I'm cool with that, it's very convenient.   All these facilities give me the opportunity of running lots of different routes during the week, which I like too.

Today is a rest day.  No local races here tomorrow Sad but I do have one on Sunday Smile, a 5K called Crocodile Run-Dee, lol. Tomorrow Gail and I will probably go to one of our local parks and then Sunday will be Race #4 for 2013.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

That cannot be your Max HR.

You're right Damaris, I meant the high for this run.  I don't know my max HR.

Snickers1230

I think it sleeted here the other night.  But on the north side of Houston, not by me.  Lol.  And I ran last night wearing running tights, a long sleeve shirt, a long sleeve running shirt, and very fuzzy gloves!  I was still cold at the start of the run, but did end up warming up.  Had to ditch the gloves at the car after my first loop Big grin

Howdy, Colony!  So much for snow here in San Antonio, lol.  All that rhubarb over nothing.  The temps actually warmed up a bit overnight and this morning it was 38 degrees when I headed to work.  We are getting some rain though.   Supposed to taper off by tomorrow.  I did run around the university campus after work yesterday.  4:30 PM and it was  a pretty brisk 44 degrees with a 20 mph wind blowing making it feel like 38 according to Weather Guy.  Long as I kept moving I felt okay.  Ended up with 3.4 miles.   As I headed back inside the warm university gym, I was thinking how lucky I am that I can go run in different places and then shower and change after my run so I don't have to drive home wet in the cold weather, because of all the facilities I have available to me:  University gym at 1604 campus and University Downtown Campus gym in downtown San Antonio; Fort Sam Houston gyms (there are two); Lackland Air Force Base gyms (two) and Randolph Air Force Base gym.  So...seven gyms and shower facilities available to me, nice!  All for a great price:  FREE.  Well, I do pay a minimal service fee to use the university facilities, but I'm cool with that, it's very convenient.   All these facilities give me the opportunity of running lots of different routes during the week, which I like too.

Today is a rest day.  No local races here tomorrow Sad but I do have one on Sunday Smile, a 5K called Crocodile Run-Dee, lol. Tomorrow Gail and I will probably go to one of our local parks and then Sunday will be Race #4 for 2013.

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Docket_Rocket

Have you run a recent 5K?  Racing it?  If so, look at the highest HR for that race and add 5 bps.  That's a good approximate.  Without HR Max, I cannot say whether your HR was too low or too high for intervals.

You're right Damaris, I meant the high for this run.  I don't know my max HR.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Enjoy the bike, Gustav! Umm, what the heck is myrtle exercises?  The only myrtle I know is Myrtle the Turtle...you have an exercise video with her leading?  Cool....

I am Myrtle, you follow my shell

And we'll all exercise and feel well!

Big grin

Good luck with the long run tomorrow, Kristi!

Congrats on getting your run in this a.m., Jen.  What time is getting up early for you?

Way to go, Bill!  28 is just too darn cold, wind or no wind!

Happy recovery miles and weights, Damaris.  Hope the asthma is behaving.

Glad the knee is feeling better, Kristin!

"Partial" indoor track, bin?  The builders just got lazy for the last part of building? Wink  I don't mind getting rained on, I just hate starting out in it.

but I keep having nagging little niggles that pop up.  Umm, yeah, Awood, this is called 'getting older" buddy....get used to it. Wink  Good luck with your run tomorrow!

Get lost on the track, lol, Jerry. Sounds like me, "directionally challenged."  At Fort Sam Houston I once asked this Army guy for directions and he said "Well, you go North for about a mile...." and I said " Wait, wait a minute...I was Air Force, I didn't have to go on hikes with a 50-lb pack and camp in the woods and have to learn to read a compass, so none of this 'North' and 'South' stuff, just tell me left or right."  Joking  He started laughing.  And then said, VERY slowly, to me..'Sir, you turn LEFT here..."  lol.

Margo, hope your legs are well rested tomorrow and you have a great run!

My left shin is bugging me again too.  It hurts in the front and the back.  So sorry to hear that, Traci.  But also impressed that you have a back-of-the-leg shin! No wonder your leg is hurting! Joking   Seriously, hope you feel better.  Traci, you've seen my race photos and see my brace on my right shin.  I have to wear this EVERY time I run because I have a little 'dent' in that shin (stupid helicopter crash! Angry)  You might try a brace for a bit and see if it helps. I HATED the usual 'shin sleeves' they slip off my leg when I run cuz I sweat so much and if I went a size down, they were way too tight.  So what I did was go to a local sports store and I got an X-LARGE neoprene ELBOW sleeve.  This thing works perfectly!  It's large enough for me to slip over my shin and then stays just tight enough where it does not slip when I''m running, but also is loose enough so it does not restrict blood flow to the leg. It compresses my sore area so I have no discomfort there.  So you might try that.  This is also a cheap fix, the elbow sleeve only costs about $8 compared to about $20 and up for some of those shin sleeves.

Hope you had a good 'night's" sleep, Mitch and have some great miles after you get up.

Yeah, HsM, sometimes these shorter work weeks mentally seem longer than an actual full work week, lol.  Happy progress with your program!

but in a few months I will be begging for cool weather again.  Not me, Tomas.  I don't care if it gets up to 100 this summer, I HATE running in cold weather, give me warm weather every time.  Congrats on getting your 5 in!  Are you home now?

Lauren, for 2 weeks off, you probably would not have to start from zero again.  BUT..given what you have been going through for the past few weeks, it might be better to start from scratch again. Following a beginner run/walk program from Day 1 would ensure you proceed very gradually and not re-aggravate your problem area.  Just a thought.

Congrats on your great running week, Jackie!  How is the weather down Houston way?  Gotta be warmer than ours!

registered for my first marathon - October 6th.  Umm, gee Vance..you missed it! Joking  Seriously, happy training!  You have plenty of time!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt