Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Boerne YMCA Turkey Trot 5K and 10K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 60th race of 2015 and was held on November 21, 2015 in Boerne (pronounced Bernie), Texas, about a 40 minute drive from where I live in San Antonio.  Weather was overcast and VERY windy, but at least the temp was fairly mild at about 60 degrees. Race supported the local YMCA programs.  As I am a 'city-wide" member of the YMCA I have access to 10 YMCAs in the area, including those in Boerne and New Braunfels.  Convenient as I was able to go to the local Y post-race and take a shower and change clothes and not have to drive back to San Antonio all sweaty-wet.  There was a 10K and a 5K.  I did the 5K, ending up with a 32:34 chip time finish and 4th in my age group (60 - 69).

BEFORE THE START

Event was held at the Main Plaza of Boerne, a nice little park with a fountain, a couple of local hotels nearby, etc.  Arrived with about 40 minutes to go to the 8:15 a.m. start for the 5K (10K started a bit earlier) and wandered around getting some pre-start photos.

Pavilion and fountain area at the plaza

photo 019_zpsxzx8kney.jpg

One turkey, two turkeys, three, and four...

photo 001_zpsisymrxry.jpg

photo 002_zpsyyqfapff.jpg

photo 003_zps26yejybm.jpg

photo 018_zpsi5pa5lzb.jpg

photo 022_zps3pisgqdt.jpg

photo 023_zpsw6lnv41z.jpg

...and a bagpiper from the moor....

photo 006_zpseryviny3.jpg

photo 004_zpsn7pvtluk.jpg

photo 007_zpsn3ztf8t2.jpg

photo 008_zpsj7khg2ir.jpg

photo 011_zpsxtildltz.jpg

These two fine people give a nice view of the tech tee race shirts participants got

photo 012_zps6cehaqtk.jpg

photo 013_zpsglqh27ud.jpg

photo 014_zpsbhf4bxnn.jpg

photo 015_zpsccxh148z.jpg

photo 016_zpsm924y1zj.jpg

photo 017_zpsybcj0oje.jpg

photo 021_zps5mo34xrp.jpg

Yay Air Force!  Not that I am biased or anything, being retired Air Force...

photo 024_zpsu3zmsba0.jpg

photo 025_zps7yvuhysx.jpg

photo 026_zpsoskqnsm5.jpg

photo 027_zpsqibwyxnj.jpg

Air Force Junior ROTC was there to present the colors

photo 009_zps67lhlj3w.jpg

photo 010_zpsqt68is7a.jpg

Old Glory blowing in the strong wind as the National Anthem was played

photo 020_zps5ycfclfa.jpg

ON THE COURSE

This was a loop course, very well thought out, that went through a pretty nice neighborhood, then brought us past a local school and back to the start/finish area. The course was mainly flat with a couple of short hills along the way.  By Texas Hill Country standards, you could not really call these 'hills"...but the legs felt them a bit, never-the-less.   The roads were open, but all the traffic I saw along the course at any given point where I was at the time, the drivers were pretty cooperative and patient. Post-race, did not hear about anyone else having problems with drivers, so I assume everyone behaved, drivers and participants.  Pretty nice course.

photo 028_zpstnsttjko.jpg

I turned around and walked back a little to get this photo...I guess I was not paying attention to that sign... 

photo 029_zpsm2h9h7ml.jpg

photo 030_zpsvdxxuwfu.jpg

photo 031_zpsllciol4t.jpg

photo 032_zpsfhwlq9gs.jpg

photo 033_zps2est4u60.jpg

photo 034_zpslpigmaqh.jpg

photo 035_zpsx1zwxasm.jpg

This is one speedy kid!  I started chasing this kid at about the 2 mile-mark and just could not catch him for quite a while.  We ran and ran and ran...and I finally caught up to him just before the finish line and we both finished.  He did great!

photo 036_zpseqlcrmzn.jpg

What..who put this darn small hill on the course as we were approaching the finish?  Someone has a wicked sense of humor.

photo 037_zps0ynerjwg.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Post-race goodies included these guys serving up eggs and biscuits with gravy.

photo 041_zpsewfvcc1q.jpg

That's Texas Hill Country breakfast...

photo 040_zpsgdivisom.jpg

I passed on that and went and found these guys post race....oh yeah.....

photo 005_zpsogxb2r0z.jpg

Oh yeah...my type of post-race breakfast...

photo 048_zpsq3semk8n.jpg

And after 'breakfast"... on to some of  the "Happy Finishers", volunteers, vendors, etc.

My on-course 'motivator' and his Dad

photo 038_zpsl0wz6fk0.jpg

photo 039_zpsbqh39hry.jpg

This lovely lady and I had nice chat.

photo 042_zpsb2tm2wzk.jpg

She told me about her young niece - I think it was her niece, if I remember correctly - who was currently battling cancer; so I got one of the many "I BEAT CANCER" shirts I keep in my car for just this, maybe to help motivate someone, and gave her one she picked for the young lady...and here we are, with her holding the shirt.  Wishing her niece all the best!

photo 044_zpsrmlm1evk.jpg

photo 046_zpsnyhjellu.jpg

photo 047_zpssiz3t5wv.jpg

In the shadows...

photo 049_zpsifwqtu2o.jpg

...and out of them...nice of the sun to come out after the race was finished...

photo 050_zpsswygrxdd.jpg

yeah, it got brighter by the minute....crazy Texas weather

photo 054_zpsa73mwqua.jpg

MC

photo 051_zpssndi86oh.jpg

This guy ran the course with the flag and carries the names of veterans with him to honor them..that's what the writing on the stripes is...names of veterans who served....

photo 052_zpsgwxuurm1.jpg

photo 053_zpswjaklm9j.jpg

My speedy pal, Bernadette, got first in her age group

photo 055_zpsdhv8mxmy.jpg

EPILOGUE

I like running in Boerne, though I don't go up there very often.  Most weekends I'm doing some kind of race somewhere or other and on weekdays I work at UTSA and the I-10 West that goes up to Boerne is a freakin' traffic nightmare during rush-hour times, so I usually just avoid that area altogether and run somewhere in town after work. But when I do get up there to run or to race, I've never been disappointed. Plenty of interesting courses, lots of trails to run and I get to use the local Y as my 'base" which is very convenient.  This race was no exception.  A very well-organized event for a good cause, nice course, lots of post-race goodies between the food and the vendor give-aways. Runners love free stuff!    Definitely would recommend this race and do this one again.   Mucho thanks to all the residents along our route for having patience with us as we took over their roads for a while. And, of course, thanks to the local Y, all the volunteers, sponsors, vendors, law enforcement and medical folks out there for us, etc....all the people who made this one happen for we participants.  Good times for we runners - no pun intended...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt