Beginners and Beyond

It's Friday Penguins! (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

5 plus this morning.

What would a workout of 200/100/200 x5 up hill be? Interval, hill, or fartlek?

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  Still sick.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Chorus rehearsal was really good last night -- we all had our costumes for contest, so that was fun.  For our package this year, we're all recently departed souls, at the decision point of Heaven or Hell.  One of our singers is an angel, ticking off the souls headed to Heaven, and our director is "Beelzebubbles", trying to induce people toward hell.  My death story is that I was on vacation in Hawaii, had a few too many drinks at a luau, and I tripped and fell into a volcano.  So I smudged up a red shirt with charcoal eye shadow, donned a couple of leis, and smudged my face with the same eye shadow.  Then I brushed my hair.  Since I usually have to move mountains to keep my hair from frizzing, this produced an instant bush standing out a foot from my head.  I walked in to rehearsal and the whole group cracked up!  We have coaching on Saturday, which is 9:00 to 4:00 singing and dancing!

PAD -- I think that workout would be called "insanity".  Enjoy!!

Docket -- hope you feel better soon!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

PAD - 500m uphill x 5, I would call that hills. I'd also call it a killer workout.

HopesMom - what song will you be singing in your competition?  Have fun this weekend.

Damaris - sorry you're still sick.  Home or at work?

AFM:  I've got 4 or 5 today, which I may do in town to get some protection from the wind. OTOH, they're setting up for our annual ice fest, so parking could be a problem, especially with so much snow on the streets still.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

PAD - 500m uphill x 5, I would call that hills. I'd also call it a killer workout.

HopesMom - what song will you be singing in your competition?  Have fun this weekend.

Damaris - sorry you're still sick.  Home or at work?

AFM:  I've got 4 or 5 today, which I may do in town to get some protection from the wind. OTOH, they're setting up for our annual ice fest, so parking could be a problem, especially with so much snow on the streets still.

Not 500!

But (200m jog back, 100m jog back, 200m jog back ) x5

I classify it as not fun!  Especially about 3 sets in, when I'm shouting expletives.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's a 3-song package.  1st song is an uptune called Your First Day in Heaven.  2nd is a ballad called If I Had My Life to Live Over, 3rd song is Sit Down (from Guys and Dolls).  Should be fun!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

Hey Jill, glad you're doing better.   Wow, that race sold out quick.  Lucky you for getting in in time.

Jack in case you come into the forum today, HI, and I'm sorry life's been throwing you some darts.  Sad @ losing a family member.

Brilliant-- you did great yesterday!   I'm curious if the run ended up helping your sinuses some?   I know running does seem to clear up so much congestion for me, and I usually feel better afterwards.

PAD-- good job on the 5.

DR-- you've been sick a while now.  ARe you sure its not more serious than you first thought?  Anyway, get your bad azz better!

HM-- LOL, how fun that sounds!   Now you almost needed to supply us with pictures for that story.  Loved it though!

Ginny-- what's an ice fest?   Like ice craving, or ice skating?  Enjoy your run, and stay outta the wind.

Yesterday I did the bike and gym, but no run, today I did an easy 4 mile run.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Brilliant

Hello Penguins!

PAD, I'd call it a hill workout.

Damaris,   Wish we had a group hug emoji for you.

Hopesmom, that sounds really fun. Smile

Ginny, have a good run.

Cherie, nice running. 

10.7 done this morning.  Yesterday my heart rate was freakishly high on my run (seemed about 10 beats per minute faster than it should have been for the pace, I suspect the sudafed I'd taken). So this morning I went without sudafed, which means I was a little more congested.  But the run was otherwise fine.  Cherie, I don't think it either helps or hurts if I run when I have a cold.  So I just try to run if I feel up to it.

PADRunner

Not 500!

But (200m jog back, 100m jog back, 200m jog back ) x5

I classify it as not fun!  Especially about 3 sets in, when I'm shouting expletives.

I need to add that category to RA.

Wandering Wally

Got 5 miles done last night. By the time I went out all precipitation had quit. Yay! Rest day today.

Damaris - Boo! Hope you feel better soon.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Zelanie

D- Sorry thato you are still sick!

PAD- Sounds like a hill workout to me too.

I got a good TM run in last night even though I got home late. That is a relief since I need to start marathon training soon and I wasn't sure how Thursday evening runs would go. If I do Hansons, that would be my longest midweek run unless I swap things around a bit.

GinnyinPA

Cherie - Ice Fest is an annual street fair of sorts, with about 50 ice sculptures, an ice slide, a ball, food vendors, chili cookoff, free cake, a 5k, etc.  Not a lot of vendors, but it's the town's attempt to get people to realize that downtown has some interesting stores and restaurants.  Checking out all the sculptures is always fun, though usually the last weekend in January is unusually warm, so you need to get there fast before they start melting.

Z - which marathon will you be running?

Running in town was a bit weird.  Not all the sidewalks have been cleared, and those that have been shoveled had some melting and refreezing so I had to stop and walk sometimes, or run out into the street then back to the sidewalk, or climb over a mound of snow.  It was supposed to be MP but my pace was all over the place. At least the snow had stopped.  When we walked Ben it was coming down hard.

Philliefan33

Ran/waddled in a gentle snowfall this morning. The snow had covered the roads, so I couldn't tell if I was on asphalt or ice until I put my foot down. Since I'm aftaid of falling, that really slowed my (already pitifully slow) pace. Let's just say I was really a penguin today!

But it other tha the footing, it was lovely. Since I was going super slow I didn't get tired. I only quit after five miles because I didn't want to concentrate on where to put my feet.