Beginners and Beyond

Tantivy Tuesday Penguins (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Tantivy:  At Full Gallop;  Headlong;

photo penguinhorse_zps04c937b0.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Apparently none of our Penguins are at full gallop today yet!

I am tired today.   Kept dreaming last night about my time in Somalia and, as Springsteen sang, " wake up with the sheets soaking wet and a freight train running through the middle of my head"...not fun.  Gail got worried  I was having some kind of attack, I was sweating so much, and finally shook me to wake me up, thank goodness, to get me out of a really bad time.  To paraphrase what LRB said yesterday, I could not get my brain to SHUT UP!   Probably end up going to bed earlier tonite.   After work, however, I plan on enjoying the day as it will be nearly 75 degrees here in San Antonio, with sunshine, and so I will get out there and get some miles in, maybe even do some hill running.  I have to enjoy this weather, we are like a spinning weather top here, for pete's sake, tomorrow we are back to the low 40s and by Thursday, freezing rain is predicted for San Antonio again.  Apparently, our city is just Mother Nature's experimental weather toy, as she can't seem to make up her damn mind about us being either warm or cold!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I took cold medicine last night which caused me to overlseep my alarm. Ok, fine, no gym this morning but I can run on the treadmill at the place where I swim after Homecare tonight. Pack up my gym bag. And....leave it on the floor of my apartment. Fail. I suppose after work I can go home, change, then go to my gym a block away from my apartment- the beauty if now having 2 gyms. But I'm afraid since it will be after 9:00pm once I walk in my door I won't get back out! Lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Enjoy the warm weather for me Scott.  Sweet Dreams !!!

URD.  Right knee is really sore after yesterday's 7.  Guess I'll go to the gym after work and do some weight machines.

Have a great day Scott and Pengs !!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Awwww....Bill Sinkin, of our San Antonio community, passed away.  He had a long life, died at 100 years old.   I got to know him a little bit over the last few years when I did some races that supported solar energy causes, and got to chat with him a bit. He was a great guy and had some very interesting stories to tell.  He will be missed in San Antonio.    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Solar-San-Antonio-founder-Bill-Sinkin-dead-at-100-5201717.php

Kristin, sounds like your body is telling you to take a rest today.

Sorry about the sore knee, Jerry.  The pool might be better for your knee today than weight machines.

Docket_Rocket

That picture is just so wrong!

Morning!  In court all morning.  My bike arrives tonight so either a bike ride with hubby and/or a short run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning everyone!  Work is kicking my butt this week, but I am getting my miles in.  8 tonight.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I took yesterday off after my late Sunday night, so that was all kinds of nice.  Today it's back to the grind, and quartet practice tonight!!

Scotty -- sorry you had a rough night!!  Hope tonight is better ...

kristin -- sounds like the universe wants you to take a day off!!

Jerryb -- sorry about your knee!!

Docket -- enjoy the bike!!

Zelanie -- hope you kick work's butt!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Scotty: Oooh... that does not sound good. I hope you are better and get some sleep tonight.

Kristin: You will do it... Wink

Jerry: Does the gym have an elliptical thing? That would be easy on the knee.

D: What kind of bike did you get? I must have missed that.

Zel: It's too bad you don't have a race coming up sooner. I would really like to see what you could do in a 10k right now.

HsM: "All kinds of nice... "  Smile

As for me, SRD today. Before yesterday it had been awhile since I put my runs on the computer from my watch. I hooked it up yesterday and saw that I had run seven days in a row without even realising it. I think running has become such a habit for me, even with a bum wheel, that I just get out there and do it. Strange, that. Now that I am back on a training schedule I will pay more attention to rest days.

Have a good day.

SheCan

Apparently none of our Penguins are at full gallop today yet!

Scotty-- LOL, not this one...and OMG @ that picture!  LMAO!

Sorry you had such a sweaty, difficult night, hope you're not getting sick.  Enjoy your beautiful weather today!

kristin-- good luck to you on getting to  the gym today.  I know if I couldn't go to until 9 pm, it probably wouldn't happen at all.  Maybe fate is telling you that you need the day off?

Docket-- ohoh@ your new bike!  Tell DH to get a picture of you riding!  I'm sorry about your race Sunday.  I know if you called it short, you must have really been in pain.  So glad you've set up everything for your surgery.

Hi Jerry, Z, HsM and Jack!

Just did an easy 4 today.  After yesterdays weight and core workout, 4 seemed like plenty, plus it was colder then usual.  I'm not used to running at 40*.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The thing is when I'm running such low mileage if I missed today I'd only be able to run like 7-8 miles this week....Sad

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

The thing is when I'm running such low mileage if I missed today I'd only be able to run like 7-8 miles this week....Sad

Ugh@ choices!  You really just have such a busy life. Hugs.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

obiebyke

Hi all.

No time for personals for everyone, but a special shout out to you, Scotty. Sounds like some rough stuff last night and today.

I'm planning to do another pool workout tonight.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

GinnyinPA

Scotty - sorry about the memories disturbing your sleep.  Hope your run this afternoon is a good one.  Very weird picture!

Kristin - hope you get to the gym anyway.

Jerry - good idea to rest the knee.  Snow does make running/walking harder on the knees as you have to lift your foot up higher.

D - what kind of bike?  Is that part of your rehab?  Biking instead of running or are you planning to get into tris?

Z - enjoy your 8 this evening.  Sorry it's being a difficult week -- and it's only Tuesday!

HopesMom - hope work treats you well.  Enjoy rehearsal tonight.

Jack - definitely time to rest, especially with the pf.  That's one big advantage I can see with using a schedule:  it would keep me from doing too much.  But that would require me to actually follow it, and I've always been bad at that.

Cherie - When is your race?  40 sounds really nice right now, but I can see how it would feel cold when you're not used to it.  Last night when we walked Ben I was surprised how comfortable I was at 27 degrees, and what crossed my mind was "It's been a hard winter if this feels good."

AFM:  Treadmill later.  It's not that cold outside, but the fresh snow/ice means no place to run that's safe.  The streets are clear, mostly, but the sides are lined with banks of lumpy snow.  Tonight the forecast is for 2-4 inches of snow followed by .25 - .5 inches of ice.  Yech!  And we have two doctor appts. tomorrow.

Dad on the run.

Hey Pens! 3 on tap for tonight maybe an extra 1 or 2 just depends on how I feel once I get out there and the weather conditions.

Also purchased my domain lastnight so now I just got to get started on the creation process! Hopefully I can have some stuff going by the end of the week, right now I'm having some URL issues with it not pointing where it's suppose to.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.