Beginners and Beyond

The other RnR Montreal RR (Read 57 times)

Docket_Rocket

I was thinking of not writing a report at all, but I really think I should talk about this "race" to get it out of my system.  Although this was not a goal race and I was not racing, the plan was to test my GMP outside since I have been stuck indoors since April.  So, the plan said 5 easy, 8 @ MP.  I had done this workout before the Paris Marathon at the A1A Ft. Lauderdale HM and it went well that time, finishing in 2:10 something.  This time, I was running faster than then and my GMP was faster, so I was curious to see what I ended up with, maybe a 2:08-2:09?  Something to tell me I was on the right track.

As you know, I have been training for the Chicago Marathon and since our weather has been like this since April, with July, August and September looking like this morning, noon, and night:

There was no way in hell I was going to do MP runs outside, so I stayed on the TM.  Every day.  So, this would be the first time I would run outside since basically April.  Although last time I did this workout I had a cutback week, this time my coach had assigned me a normal week with 56mpw, a 16 miler on the weekend prior (with quality miles) and another 16 miler on Wednesday (with more quality miles).  My legs were trashed, to say the least.

We left Miami on Friday with a husband that had been throwing up since 3am, even in flight.  Due to problems with the parking at the airport, we almost missed the flight (even though we arrived 2 hours prior to it) and my husband was this close to quitting and driving back home.  By mid Friday he felt much better.  We arrived in Montreal late afternoon, drove to the hotel, and enjoyed the area.  Went to the expo on Saturday morning, spent the afternoon in Montreal's Old Town, tried to connect with Cyberic (we ran late and by the time I contacted him again it was too late for him to meet, my fault) and enjoyed great food and people.  Happylily had left Montreal on Friday afternoon due to her race being in Ottawa, but she was very nice and sent a delivery of Canadian bagels to the hotel.  I still have two frozen here to eat this weekend.  Thank you, Lily!

By the time I got to the hotel on Saturday night, I was the one sick.  I had stomach issues for most of the night, and I woke up with the fear of not being able to run without stopping to use the bathroom.  I had two Imodiums (which I never take but it's a staple of my husband's pre-race ritual, had some water, and tried to eat something.  I wasn't having it.  I just felt blah, not sick.

We got to the start line with time in advance so we went to the bridge near the start, hoping to meet Cyberic.  Every tall skinny guy in blue we saw was suspect.  Until he came by us and said hi.  Here is a picture of the two of us.  My 5'7" felt like 4' tall:

He was as nice as he is online and it was a pleasure to finally meet him.

Off to the race!

We parted ways and I entered Corral 12.  I started exactly at 9am.  Too late for me but the weather here is nothing like back home.  It was windy and mid 50s, I think.  This race is not as flat as the course elevation pointed out.  And it's nothing like Miami where is nice and flat with 0ft elevation either way.   This had some nice rollers, two hills, and the rest was flattish but never flat, IMO,  I am sure Cyberic will find it flat as a pancake, though, ha.

The sun came out after my Mile 5 and that's when things started feeling bad for me.  I started running easy miles.  Except my HR said I was racing a 10K.  I was not racing by HR but I sure did not want my HR to be off either.

Here are the splits of my easy miles.  I felt fine during them, enjoying the sites, but never felt right.

1 Interval 1 mi 10:29 10:29 10:29 86 136  
    2 Interval 1 mi 10:10 20:39 10:10 145 156  
    3 Interval 1 mi 10:04 30:43 10:04 153 160  
    4 Interval 1 mi 9:59 40:42 9:59 156 161  
    5 Interval 1 mi 9:56 50:38 9:56 157 164

After this, I took my first gel and started my MP run.  Or so I thought:

6 Interval 1 mi 9:15 59:53 9:15 162 169  
    7 Interval 1 mi 9:34 1:09:27 9:34 164 171  
    8 Interval 1 mi 9:16 1:18:43 9:16 162 166  
    9 Interval 1 mi 9:50 1:28:33 9:50 161 166

Completely off on a stable pace and with a HR creeping into the 170s. This is not going to end well.  And it ended between Mile 9 and 10.  With me puking by the side of a bridge.  Awesome.

After I puked, I decided to just give up.  Seriously.  I hate running HMs but this one was taking the cake.  I just decided to not even try to hit MP for the next 4 miles.  In fact, if I could've quit and get to the finish line other than running, I would have.

10 Interval 1 mi 10:41 1:39:14 10:41 153 164  
    11 Interval 1 mi 11:37 1:50:51 11:37 147 156  
    12 Interval 1 mi 10:10 2:01:01 10:10 154 161  
    13 Interval 1 mi 11:10 2:12:11 11:10 154 162  
    14 Interval 0.29 mi 2:42 2:15:05 9:19 161 170

Mile 10 included the puking incident, Mile 11 the first hill.  Somewhere between 12 and 13 there was a larger hill that I just basically walked.  I know the splits do not look as bad as I thought they did but at that time I felt like I was just walking the rest of the way.  Looks like I recovered enough to run 9:19mm to the finish so yay me.  I suck.

Finished in 2:15:05.  And I felt like a loser.  On my birthday.

Anyway, after a few days of introspection and a 10 miler with 5 X 1 mile @ 8:34mm on Wednesday, I realized I was sick.  I actually came to Miami with 4lbs less than when I left.  There was definitely something going on with me on that day.  But, part of me feels like I've wasted all these weeks for nothing.  That I am slower than when I ran Paris even though all my workouts have been faster.  That the TM is lying.

Anyway, I feel better now and have been hammering this week well.  But with two weeks until Chicago, I'll remember this as I head to the start.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Read your RR during dinner... Thanks !!!  Chicago will be much better.  Don't look for a Mountain Dew at AS12, we will be in Massachusetts.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's really a bummer getting sick on the course. I probably would have stopped at an aid station to see if I could get a ride back. Hope you've completely over whatever it was and can train well until it's time to taper.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Read your RR during dinner... Thanks !!!  Chicago will be much better.  Don't look for a Mountain Dew at AS12, we will be in Massachusetts.

I'm bringing my KK donuts and buying my MD.  Will see you next year, I am sure!

Thanks George!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

Hey, nice pic D 

I don't find the course pancake flat. In fact the two hills and the very slight uphill near Park Lafontaine at the end make the HM course tricky IMO.

I don't think you can evaluate your fitness based on a race in which you were sick... I wouldn't.

Lily never sent me bagels, you know.

Hope we meet again some day!

bluerun

Super B****

I'm sorry it was a sucky race for you, but like I said... you got all that crap out of the way, now Chicago can be awesome!  (It totally does work like this, you know.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Little Blue

Dang, that was disappointing.  But if you could do a 10:41 mile while stopping to puke, you were ok.   Seriously, you can't be too hard on yourself, sick like that.  Look to Chicago and forget it.

How tall IS Eric, anyway??

Docket_Rocket

He has never said. Maybe 6'5"?  Based on he has almost a foot above me!

blue, thanks. I know that but I have to believe it.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

happylily

First of all, let me say that you both look like rock stars in that picture. I love that pic. Secondly, my personal opinion on your stomach issue is that your DH is not the one who gave it to you. You should blame the poutine you had. Poutine is evil. Sure, it tastes good while you're eating it, like anything evil, but think of what it's made of and what happens to your body after you've ingested it... No wonder your poor stomach reacted the way it did!

D., I would have loved meeting you and Richard in Montreal. Such a bad timing... I hope the city treated you well. As for your race, I think that not tapering was a contributing factor to your slower than expected pace. That, along with a course that I would not consider easy (not the hardest, but certainly far from flat), and the overall feeling of nausea you had are probably what caused this race to be a let down for you. I'm so sorry that it had to happen in Montreal. At least I think the weather was nice for you and you rocked your Ink 'n Burn outfit and it was still a great mental exercise to push to the finish line after being sick. I don't think I would have had it in me to do that. So congratulations for being so hardcore!  How did Richard do?

P.S. The TM does NOT lie. Ever.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

LOL.  Richard had his best race ever!  Not a PR but his fastest in a year.  And he was smiling in all the pics.

Yeah, I had thought about the lack of taper but I know my coach did this on purpose.  I did make comments during the week that he was purposely killing my legs, maybe to give me a harder effort on Sunday to see how I would do.  I do think the additional BP meds had me a bit off when I run outside but this week I have been working on that and it has gotten better.  And I think I failed because mentally, I quit.  I need to work on that, eh?  And yes, maybe the poutine was not a good idea but IT WAS SO GOOD!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

And glad the TM does not lie!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

onemile

Yeah, I had thought about the lack of taper but I know my coach did this on purpose.  I did make comments during the week that he was purposely killing my legs, maybe to give me a harder effort on Sunday to see how I would do.  I do think the additional BP meds had me a bit off when I run outside but this week I have been working on that and it has gotten better.  And I think I failed because mentally, I quit.  I need to work on that, eh?  And yes, maybe the poutine was not a good idea but IT WAS SO GOOD!

I don't think you should have had to taper to run 8 at MP, which was your plan. I am thinking it had more to do with you being sick than anything.  Nice job finishing despite the difficulty and cool that you got to meet Cyberic.

Docket_Rocket

I sure hope so!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Nice InkNBurn.  At least you looked good if you didn't feel good. 

I'm with Little Blue - you barely broke your stride to puke, and only missed your goal by 6 minutes total with stopping and puking, walking, etc!  I think you'd have had that goal in the bag if you hadn't been sick.

outoftheblue

Sorry you had such a tough race and it seems totally unfair that it happened on your birthday.  The good news is that you got an awesome picture with Cy.  I agree with Lily, you guys do look like rock stars.

Chalk this one up to being sick and un-tapered.  You've had too many quality workouts for this race not to be just a fluke.  A 5x1 mile at 10K pace is really hard workout and you nailed it.  Onward to Chicago!

Life is good.