Beginners and Beyond

Resting Monday Penguins (Read 17 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

... or at last I'm resting today :-)

I might do some easy yoga or swimming, but today should solidly be in the rest day category for me.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight.  Didn't run yesterday trying to shake this cold off.  I feel much better but now I have asthma congestion, meh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Morning RD with weights tonight.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, it's been an interesting weekend.  Friday I bailed on running for no good reason at all (except it was pretty hot, but seriously, it's only 25 minutes).  Saturday I met up with the chick I was buying the used Forerunner 10 from and swapped my cash for her electronics.  Then I worked some on bike riding ... I'm getting better -- less falling, more control.  Unfortunately it's still completely terrifying when I'm sitting there, one foot up on the pedal, ready to push off.  So I bailed after a couple of times across the yard, and sat in the shade chatting with DH instead, regarding the nature of fear and other deep ponderings.  I finally decided that half a glass of wine would be just the thing, so DH boozed me up and then I rode across the yard several more times.  I'm still not ready for the road yet, because I figure I'll wobble right into the path of a car.  But I am getting better.  
            No running tonight -- I have a friend who had back surgery a couple of weeks ago, and she had to go back into the hospital over the weekend because her incision was infected.  Not a big deal, and she's home now, but we're making some soup and homemade bread to take to her and her mom, just to help out.  So an RD for us.

sapf -- both yoga and swimming sound fun!!

Docket -- glad you're feeling better, enjoy the 6!!

PAD -- enjoy the RD and weights!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

LRB

Then I worked some on bike riding ... I'm getting better -- less falling, more control.  Unfortunately it's still completely terrifying when I'm sitting there, one foot up on the pedal, ready to push off.  So I bailed after a couple of times across the yard, and sat in the shade chatting with DH instead, regarding the nature of fear and other deep ponderings.  I finally decided that half a glass of wine would be just the thing, so DH boozed me up and then I rode across the yard several more times.  I'm still not ready for the road yet, because I figure I'll wobble right into the path of a car.  But I am getting better.  

When in doubt, WINE. Cool

GinnyinPA

HM - The wobbling mostly comes from going so slowly.  When you are going faster, it's easier to stay straight.  Enjoy your visit with your friend tonight.

sapf - you earned your rest day.

D - I hope your lungs clear up this evening so you can enjoy your run.

PAD - enjoy your gym time tonight.

AFM:  I may do a recovery run on the TM later.  My body had a lot of weird aches and pains last night, probably from the sustained downhill.  I need to loosen up the knots, but if there is real pain, I'll just rest.

Singer who runs a smidge

When in doubt, WINE. Cool

Yeah, DH thought I was kidding.  I'm like, "No, seriously.  Get the wine!" 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Ginny, your run yesterday sounded fun. I hope your recovery run works to loosen you up.

Jill, you deserve a rest day!

Hubby and I ran 5 hilly miles at 9000 feet...I need oxygen!

Zelanie

Hi guys!  Ran 8 this morning.  The temps are much more reasonable, but I decided on the TM anyway.  Sometimes it's just nice to be home already.

sapf- Enjoy the rest!  Good work on the LR, too!

D- Glad at least the cold is subsiding.

PAD- Enjoy the RD!

HsM- I agree with Ginny.  It will be much easier to ride when you're on a smooth surface and can go faster.  Maybe a big marking lot or bike path?  Glad you got the Forerunner!

LRB- Somebody said the magic words!

Ginny- Hope the rest helps.  I was feeling weirdly achy this weekend too.  Hoping it has passed.  I was talking to DH and think I need to get some races scheduled to give me a little structure to my running, maybe that will help.

Brilliant- I am out of breath just thinking of running at that elevation!  When we were up in the rockies last week, it was hard just walking around at that elevation!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Maybe try a full glass next time, HsM

3 for me and DW.  Sluggish after gym machines or maybe just Monday blahs.

Amazonian Princess

No rest tonight, got 45-60 minutes of pool running planned 

Did the Summer Breeze 5k on Saturday. Three unhappy things:

• 3 minutes slower than my PR (crowded and poor pacing on my part)
                          • friggin' cold temp - found out the race is aka Summer Freeze
                          • lost my mind and stopped after the wrong timing mat  

Three good things:

• my time was still better than a couple of the coaches (!)
                          • my backside/legs were in the background of several photos and I'm actually okay with my booty pop and quad definition
                          • Uptown Funk sing-a-long in the back of the Google bus with the other RPD'ers was hysterical!!!

Ran the neighborhood loop on Sunday but there was tons of traffic so it was mostly sidewalk and now the aching shins need a rest, so it's time to break out the floaty belt and resistance gloves!

I can. I will. I am. 

From the Internet.

No rest tonight, got 45-60 minutes of pool running planned 

Did the Summer Breeze 5k on Saturday. Three unhappy things:

• 3 minutes slower than my PR (crowded and poor pacing on my part)
                            • friggin' cold temp - found out the race is aka Summer Freeze
                            • lost my mind and stopped after the wrong timing mat  

Three good things:

• my time was still better than a couple of the coaches (!)
                            • my backside/legs were in the background of several photos and I'm actually okay with my booty pop and quad definition
                            • Uptown Funk sing-a-long in the back of the Google bus with the other RPD'ers was hysterical!!!

Ran the neighborhood loop on Sunday but there was tons of traffic so it was mostly sidewalk and now the aching shins need a rest, so it's time to break out the floaty belt and resistance gloves!

Hold up girl, you're complaining about this in AUGUST?!?! :P

Also: floaty belters unite!

Me: AM 82 minutes in the floaty belt, PM weights at the gym. Yesterday was a quick pool workout, then headed north for bachelorette brunch and beach with high school friends - a few of us can't make the bride-to-be's official bach in NYC at the end of the month, so we opted to do something cheaper and close to home with her. Brunch was at a little hole-in-the-wall BYOB place and it was SOOOOO GOOOOOD - Nutella and banana stuffed Portuguese French toast, side of bacon, mimosas w/ cranberry juice instead of orange juice.