Beginners and Beyond

Cold shoulder, yay or nay? (Read 81 times)

Unwelcome visitors, how do you deal?

cjones1

I had a guy come to the door the other day.  His T shirt looked very official and said "Weed man of Southern Illinois."  Of course I invited him in.  Imagine my disappointment when I found out he just wanted to mow my lawn. Smile

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

happylily

As shy a person as I can be, I have no problem giving a cold shoulder. But I would never slam the door on those young people in suits, or long dresses, because that would be impolite and, frankly, I feel sorry for them. As for the in-laws, they always made me want to be nice around them. For real. So I cannot vote.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

I sic my dogs on them. 

happylily

I sic my dogs on them. 

On the in-laws? 

onemile

On the in-laws? 

No, no, I like them!  Just the unwelcome visitors!

happylily

No, no, I like them!  Just the unwelcome visitors!

Ha! Ok...

My SO is lucky. When he answers the door and there is some unwanted Bible person or salesman, he just tells them that he does not speak French and they quickly leave. I can't use that excuse because of my accent. 

LRB

As shy a person as I can be, I have no problem giving a cold shoulder.

Never wanting to be rude or offend, there was a time when I stood at my door staring aimlessly into space, wondering how in the hell I was going to remove myself from a particular sales pitch or situation.

With age comes wisdom however, and more important less tolerance for things I am not interested in. So I worry less about what it is someone is selling or saying, and more about whether I want to hear it or not.

As such, I can get myself out of a situation much quicker these days, the exact method of which depends on the person(s) and my mood.

This could be a polite but firm, "No thank you I am not interested. You have yourself a pleasant day now" or a belligerent, "DID I STUTTER MOTHER FUCKER?? I SAID NO!!!" 

happylily

Never wanting to be rude or offend, there was a time when I stood at my door staring aimlessly into space, wondering how in the hell I was going to remove myself from a particular sales pitch or situation.

With age comes wisdom however, and more important less tolerance for things I am not interested in. So I worry less about what it is someone is selling or saying, and more about whether I want to hear it or not.

As such, I can get myself out of a situation much quicker these days, the exact method of which depends on the person(s) and my mood.

This could be a polite but firm, "No thank you I am not interested. You have yourself a pleasant day now" or a belligerent, "DID I STUTTER MOTHER FUCKER?? I SAID NO!!!" 

LOL!

Brilliant

If I'm home alone I don't answer the door to strangers - I will talk through the door to find out who it is (don't want to accidentally turn away Ed McMahon delivering my $10 Million).

If my hubby or adult son are home, I make them answer it.

So...I don't know how to answer the poll because apparently I never actually open my front door.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I normally politely get them to go away.

Even HS kids now, between a dozen different sports teams, band cheer etc etc etc, I am getting intolerant.(or should that be old and cranky?)

On occasions when they wake up a napping DD, I may be more than a little bit less than polite. I literally chased one guy off my porch with a broom.*

Several neighbors have signs about "No soliciting unless you bring wine and/or girl scout cookies".

I need to get one of those.

*This is of course why we need more guns. If you open carry at home maybe word gets round and no-one bothers you.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

catwhoorg

Labrat

Oh and I had a job in college doing door to door sales.

I lasted 2 weeks. My soul was dead after the first couple of days.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

a polite but firm, "No thank you I am not interested." 

This is generally my approach to uninvited solicitors at my door or on my phone. Minimum waste of my time, and of their time.

Dave

I did door to door newspaper subscriptions. That lasted exactly one day.

For a summer I had a job making unsolicited phone calls, but not really telemarketing, more doing research for the actual telemarketers. That was actually not too awful. And I learned every area code in the country. Although that was 30 years ago, and there were a lot fewer then.

Dave

LRB

I learned during the 5th grade candy sale that I was not cut out for sales. I mean if you even hinted that you might say no I took it as a no and looked the other way!