Beginners and Beyond

Oh no! We're all going to die! (Read 528 times)

sugnim

OK, you knew you were going to die someday, right?  I mean, it's kind of an inevitable side-effect of living.  But apparently, we're all going to die of running.

“Running too fast, too far and for too many years may speed one’s progress toward the finish line of life,” concludes an editorial to be published next month in the British journal Heart.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323330604578145462264024472.html

So funny.  Each week there seems to be either a study saying that running will kill you, or that running will add years to your life.  The interesting thing is that the folks who author these studies don't ever seem to consider that mortality rates aren't exactly what motivates us to run.

Thoughts?

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

After a life of racing motorcycles, driving fast cars way to fast and jumping said cars like the Dukes of Hazzard, along with other acts of dangerous living, I would have to say that anyone who knows me would say that running is the last thing that would kill this cat with 9 lives!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

sugnim

You jump cars on a motorcycle?  Wow.  I've never even been on a motorcycle.  Cool avatar--it made me laugh.

Chasing the bus

"There is coming a day when I will not be able to run anymore. Today is not that day." Who said that? I'd love to give them credit.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
          Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Trail Monster

And drugs, alcohol, smoking, obesity (and related illnesses), sedentary lifestyle, etc will fix that right?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Philliefan33

“Running too fast, too far and for too many years may speed one’s progress toward the finish line of life,” concludes an editorial to be published next month in the British journal Heart.

I'm slow, I only run about 25 miles/week, and I've only been running for 11 months.  I think I'm safe for the time being. Smile

Philliefan33

I noticed this in the article:

“If you are running more than 15 miles a week, you are doing it for some reason other than health,” said Dr. Cooper,

When I could finally run for 15 miles per week was about the time it started getting more enjoyable.  I run more than 15 miles a week because I can.  Oh, and also because if I want to run 13.1 miles at once next April I need to prepare.

Jenven

I noticed this in the article:

“If you are running more than 15 miles a week, you are doing it for some reason other than health,” said Dr. Cooper,

When I could finally run for 15 miles per week was about the time it started getting more enjoyable.  I run more than 15 miles a week because I can.  Oh, and also because if I want to run 13.1 miles at once next April I need to prepare.

WTF does that comment even mean? Like, if you're not running for health you must be insane?

Started C25K on 9/6/12. First 5K set for 1/13/13.

I will consider myself lucky if I reach the age where I need to worry about such things. 

I will say that the comparison physically between my oncologist - who is a hardcore runner in his early 60s - and my father who is completely sedentary and is three years younger - is pretty damn stark. 

What they seem to forget with these studies is length is only one measure of the quality of one's life. Given the choice between dropping dead of a heart attack at 70 and dying slowly over a period of years from cardiovascular disease at the same age 70 ... which would you choose?

Of course, moderation could always be the better alternative.  Smile  But moderation is sooooo boring ....

Love the Half

I don't think there is any surprise that folks who push their bodies to the limit over decades are doing some harm to their bodies.  Too much of anything is not a good thing.  My disclaimer is that I am one of those folks who pushes his body to the limit.  I run 50-70 miles per week most of the time, I do very hard workouts, and I race all out when I race.  I have however repeatedly said that I will end my competitive running one of these days and just start running for fun.  Still, to deny the harmful effects of decades of very hard training is to ignore the evidence.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Just B.S.

I will consider myself lucky if I reach the age where I need to worry about such things. 

I will say that the comparison physically between my oncologist - who is a hardcore runner in his early 60s - and my father who is completely sedentary and is three years younger - is pretty damn stark. 

What they seem to forget with these studies is length is only one measure of the quality of one's life. Given the choice between dropping dead of a heart attack at 70 and dying slowly over a period of years from cardiovascular disease at the same age 70 ... which would you choose?

Of course, moderation could always be the better alternative.  Smile  But moderation is sooooo boring ....

I am now only 6 years younger than my Dad was when he passed away. He spent much of his 50's in ill health, overweight, with diabetes, back issues and cancer eventually took him at age 57 after his second go round. It wasn't until I reached my mid 40's that I began to realize how young he was and how much more life he could have lived.

Part of the reason I started running at 38 was to not go down the same road.  I feell very fortunate to be healthy and fit enough just a few weeks shy of 51 to be able to run marathons. I know how i feel and I know it's way better than I would have felt if I had kept on and added to the 40 extra pounds I was carrying at 38. So to hell with naysayers!!

Jenny, I recently ran into someone I haven't seen in about 10 years. She asked me why everyone else was getting older and I was looking younger. I think she was hinting that I had work done!LOL If I could afford it I would but running is cheaper and more fun.

It's not the years in your life, it's the life in your years.............

I am now only 6 years younger than my Dad was when he passed away. He spent much of his 50's in ill health, overweight, with diabetes, back issues and cancer eventually took him at age 57 after his second go round. It wasn't until I reached my mid 40's that I began to realize how young he was and how much more life he could have lived.

Part of the reason I started running at 38 was to not go down the same road.  I feell very fortunate to be healthy and fit enough just a few weeks shy of 51 to be able to run marathons. I know how i feel and I know it's way better than I would have felt if I had kept on and added to the 40 extra pounds I was carrying at 38. So to hell with naysayers!!

Jenny, I recently ran into someone I haven't seen in about 10 years. She asked me why everyone else was getting older and I was looking younger. I think she was hinting that I had work done!LOL If I could afford it I would but running is cheaper and more fun.

It's not the years in your life, it's the life in your years.............

That's sad, Beth.  That's the route my dad is heading down.  He had cancer and is cured, but he is very overweight, has high blood pressure (cardiovascular disease runs in the family), and now has pre-diabetes.  And he won't do anything.  He does at least take his blood pressure meds .... I have always been extremely close to my dad and it pains me that he won't change.

I am glad you decided to do something.

I don't doubt LTH (and that article) are right about the potential long-term damage of hard training, actually.   But we're talking about hard training and racing, which is different than just running of course.  Moderation is usually best in all things.  However, like I said ... the physical contrast between my doctor - who has run hard for over thirty years - and my dad ... It's so stark. 

runfoolery

I really wish these summaries would include details like how many quality workouts and races, in addition to 25 mpw. 25 mpw of tempos and intervals is different from 25 easy mpw. And 50 mpw of mostly easy with 2 quality workouts and a long run each week are different from 50 mpw. And I'm too lazy to look at the original study and figure that stuff out, since a lot of times the studies themselves don't seem to include enough information on that level of detail anyway.

MTA: Moderation in all things is self-contradictory. If you practice moderation in all things, that includes moderation in moderation, requiring you to do some things to the extreme. That's not consistent with moderation in everything. Therefore the only rational way to live is to do everything to the extreme.

RunJasonRun

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

A Man On The Run!

Damn...I just increased my mpw to 16!  I'M DOOMED! Dead

Zeke

http://zekerunning.wordpress.com/

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.- Albert Einstein