Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 18: SASH 5K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

A BIG THANKS to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my many photo reports.

Full report below.  

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%2018%20SASH%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 18th race of 2019 was the SASH Spring Thing 5K on March 30, held on the campus of San Antonio State Hospital (SASH). About 200 or so participants for this one. If I remember correctly I think this was their inaugural race too. The run benefitted the Volunteer Services Council of SASH in their efforts of supporting and providing quality mental health treatment.  SASH is one of 10 state mental health facilities within the Texas Health and Human Services department.  Race start time 8 a.m.  Weather was pretty cooperative for Texas; 63 degrees at the start, lots of cloud cover as storms were predicted for later in the day, and the humidity was pretty low.  Also, no gusting winds. I arrived with about an hour to go – I was let into the grounds, but wasn’t sure I would be let out  Wink – and got some pre-start photos.

Thanks for being out there for us, Air Force volunteers

photo 002_zpsroefzzgn.jpg

photo 006_zpsm7dpkmu3.jpg

Race day volunteers

photo 004_zps5fg7tizs.jpg

Lady on the left is YMCA staff for our local Y's.

photo 013_zpsdjeigy3p.jpg

iaap crew that did the course setup, timing, results... iaap is a really good local race management company that  puts on several excellent events during the year.

photo 014_zpsug6iewkc.jpg

Our sound-and-music man

photo 015_zpsr3dvqvut.jpg

My friend, the lovely Kim, bike lead for the race toda

photo 018_zps8uiyacfm.jpg

Waiting for the start.  A couple are a tad blurry.. between my oh-so-great camera skills and my camera not liking not having full light...

photo 003_zpsyxr1xupi.jpg

photo 005_zpsrsp06som.jpg

photo 007_zpswnnmrdog.jpg

photo 008_zpsmbqrvena.jpg

photo 010_zpsbuvll8h5.jpg

photo 011_zpswkxn98we.jpg

photo 016_zpszrytxd2x.jpg

photo 017_zps9oxe3wm0.jpg

photo 019_zps0cumdxgp.jpg

Getting ready to go...

photo 020_zpsrhogwrzb.jpg

photo 021_zpspnhxu6wu.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The SASH campus is much bigger than I thought it was, and really nice and peaceful. The 5K route was an out-and-back, and well thought-out with us running along some tree-lined streets and getting views of a few peaceful green pastures along the way.  The course was mainly flat with a couple of inclines you could not really call hills.  Well-located Air Force folks and other volunteers along the way as course marshals, so you really could not get lost, miss a turn, etc. The halfway point turn-round was also the water stop area – no beer, darn it.  Wink  - and then it was back the way we had come out.  I ran in the last 1.2 miles non-stop, giving me negative splits, and a finish time of 32:45. I might have finished a little faster but, with friends sometimes telling me I am a little 'off', lol, I kept checking around to make sure some guy with a butterfly net wasn't out looking for me.     I was 14th overall.  Small race on a tight budget so only the top 3 females and top 3 males got awards.

photo 022_zpsijjhdhnb.jpg

photo 023_zps4aphpste.jpg

photo 024_zpsn6ryf7st.jpg

Leave it to me to find a fire hydrant on the course, lol.

photo 025_zpsu4ojnotg.jpg

photo 027_zpsx2tdi1us.jpg

photo 028_zpsupxzzcyf.jpg

photo 029_zpsfoz3nzgv.jpg

photo 030_zpsojyxcvnd.jpg

photo 031_zpskt7n6zza.jpg

photo 032_zpsfi1q8biy.jpg

photo 033_zpsp48amfe1.jpg

photo 034_zpsmn1tna1m.jpg

photo 035_zps0lq50ybj.jpg

photo 036_zps7hy7pqfx.jpg

Thanks Course Marshals

photo 037_zpsttk429pt.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got a few photos of some people finishing after me and then of some of the happy finishers, supporters, etc.

photo 038_zpsrsqsrpu6.jpg

photo 039_zpszfba38ng.jpg

photo 040_zpsqawm0pha.jpg

photo 041_zps7ieyzf33.jpg

photo 042_zpsyedf7cml.jpg

photo 044_zpswhrtymej.jpg

Dog friendly event

photo 045_zpsj1xjkzuu.jpg

photo 046_zps70ienhdr.jpg

Timing/results

photo 043_zpscxwdmaq5.jpg

photo 047_zps6lowpytq.jpg

photo 048_zpstfu6jtew.jpg

photo 049_zpsuikxvjv9.jpg

Interacted with these young lads and their Dad out on the course.  They were pretty speedy too.  Keep at it.  I bet your parents would love for you to get a running scholarship..and save some bucks, lol.

photo 050_zpsw3oicfk9.jpg

photo 052_zpsp8ii4svr.jpg

With my amazing friend Gabby.  Must be the name.    I have another amazing friend also named Gabby.

photo 053_zpsd2dqngep.jpg

Gut in red was 4th overall male, so just missed getting an award. As "Maxwell Smart" would say..."it was thaaaat close..."

photo 054_zpsjtel4ydp.jpg

photo 055_zpsk8x7wmes.jpg

photo 056_zpsenip0lmc.jpg

photo 057_zpszx4nnjtx.jpg

With one of my personal inpirations, Dan The Man...this guy makes the Energizer Bunny look like a slacker.....

photo 059_zpsx6mzphqb.jpg

He also cracks me up at times,

photo 060_zpsdpn5bsh9.jpg

My very speedy friend Bertha, 1st overall female

photo 061_zpsctjlthge.jpg

With Race Director Jessica..well done today, young lady, well done!

photo 062_zpsybymmgfa.jpg

photo 063_zpsua2bseg1.jpg

photo 058_zpsguxcf1ku.jpg

I think she was 2nd woman finisher...

photo 064_zpsqrrjgbxp.jpg

All the Air Force volunteers that were out there for us for this event

photo 065_zpsnrd7pqeq.jpg

The last ones in.....with big hearts.   Never give up!

photo 067_zpsqugrdncb.jpg

EPILOGUE

This was a very nicely done small inaugural race.  Really nice course, nice quality race shirts, and one of the vendors – I think it was one of the vendors – was handing out a pretty nice goody bag after the finish to anyone who wanted one.  Also had indoor restrooms, which was nice.  Kind of small, but for a small race, it was fine. If this one grows bigger – and hopefully it will; it is a nice event for a good cause; they might have to consider adding a porta-potty or two. Between what the race and the vendors offered, there were some pretty nice post-race goodies too. Post-race drink was just water – the budget again coming into play, so understandable – so I missed having my post-race beer, lol; but I get it, it is a State facility and a hospital, so probably not exactly the best venue for some post-race beer. It’s all good.  I would do this one again and would recommend it to others.  It is a race that has a nice little ‘small-town runner community” feel about it. Everyone I interacted with seemed to have enjoyed it.

Thanks very much to all the people who made this one happen for we participants, all the volunteers; iaap for the course set-up, timing, and results; all the sponsors and vendors; law enforcement folks out there for us; SASH for allowing us access to the grounds; and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all for what you did so we participants could do this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt