Beginners and Beyond

Waddling Wednesday Penguins (Read 20 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  I'm not really waddling, actually I thought I'd be more sore from yesterday's intervals.  Today I have ~4 easy miles on tap.  I might do a tiny bit more if I'm feeling good, but 4 seems like a nice easy number for today.

I'm pretty sure my team is out of the playoffs once the results are published.  Congrats to PleasantRidge and his teammates.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Congrats to PleasantRidge and his teammates.

Thanks sapf!  Your team had us scared from the get go.

Runner with a riding problem.

hog4life

I haven't run since Sunday. I am going to try a short run on Thursday, but it looks like I'm injured. It totally effing sucks too, I was so looking forward to my first 50k this weekend. I will most likely be taking a DNS and trying to salvage the next race.

PADRunner

Doc this morning, miles later...

Zelanie

Mitch, that sucks!  What happened?

sapf- Enjoy the recovery run!

PR- Good luck in the finals!

PAD- Good luck at the doc!

me- I blew off my run last night after a crappy day at work and then working a double shift.  So that means I have some HMP miles for tonight.

hog4life

Zel, I'm really not sure what, or how. Remember my R ankle sprain? Everything I was concentrating on, pertained to that side, maybe I have been favoring it or something. Anyways, about 2 weeks ago, my L Achilles started getting tight, nothing major, just a little here and there. Stretching and some ice/heat seemed to help. After last Saturday's half, which was a "hard" effort. things were ok, just a little sore. On Sunday, I went to run trails, we started with a relatively easy 5 mile loop, things felt about the same, just a little stiff and sore. Then I took off to run an additional 4 mile loop, and about 2 miles in, my L Achilles "popped". It has hurt like a MOFO ever since! Sunday night, it had a huge knot in it, just above my heel bone.

It's getting better, but 31 miles would probably end with me in the hospital, and then a walking boot, which would effect my job. Live, walk, DNS, to run another day!

Zelanie

Yikes!  Are you going to go in and get it looked at?

hog4life

Yikes!  Are you going to go in and get it looked at?

Not sure yet, kind of want to see how it feels with a week on rest.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Not working on Monday has me all confused now -- I think it's Wednesday and I have quartet rehearsal tonight, but I can't be sure.  I'm also guest teaching a protein class this afternoon, which should be interesting.  Hopefully if I run out of stuff to say, I can just send them home early!

sapf -- enjoy your easy 4, sorry your team is out!  Though that does take the pressure off ...

Pleasant -- congrats on your win!!

hog -- So sorry to hear you're injured!!

PAD -- good luck at the doc, and enjoy the miles!!

Zelanie -- sounds like yesterday was a busy day, hope today goes better!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Hog: Hopefully some time off will help. Ice and try to get a massage. Maybe you have a big knot in your calf that is pulling on the achilles?

Hi everyone.

After work I plan on going to the gym for some easy miles on the TM, I will likely do some weight work, and then go to Costco to get groceries for our trip. Man, I am really looking forward to that.

GinnyinPA

Jack - I'd love to spend some time in Zion too. Have fun.

Mitch - I'm so sorry you're injured.  I hope it isn't too serious and will heal quickly.

Jill - sorry your team didn't win.  Enjoy your easy miles today.

Pleasant Ridge - congratulations.  You certainly put in a lot of miles this season.

PAD - I hope the doctor is a routine visit and nothing serious.  Enjoy your run.

Z - good luck with your fast paced run tonight. I hope work is better today.

HM - I hope your class went well and that you have fun at rehearsal tonight.

AFM:  we have company coming this afternoon, so I ran right after walking Ben.  It actually worked out since I was still warmed up when I went outside and it was a bit less intimidating going out into the cold gray gloom without being warmed up.  Looks like rain but feels more like snow.  I did 8 easy miles, more or less on autopilot, so they went quickly.  I'm not sure whether it's a good thing that I've been running more automatically lately or not.  On the one hand, the miles go fast and I'm not spending a lot of time stressing about the hills, aches and pains, etc.  On the other hand, I like being more aware of my surroundings than I am when I'm doing more thinking than observing.

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  I have Pilates and 6 miles tonight.  TM since it's stupid hot still. Grrr.

Super busy day of work so I'm going to have to come back later.  Take care!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

I did a real slow 6 mile LR today. That's my longest run since May 3rd. Nice temp (59 degrees) but very gloomy skies.

I listened to Christmas music this morning while working on a quilt for my mom. A little soon perhaps, but it seemed fitting since the quilt will be a Christmas gift for her.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Take care of that Achilles, Mitch.

Hope you had a good Doc visit PAD.

Congrats PRidge.

Have a good make up run tonight Zel.

No idea what a protein class is HsM, but hope it goes well.

Don't forget the beer, Jack.

Enjoy your company, Ginny. Take them for a run.

Have a good TM run tonight, DR.

Merry Christmas, PF.

3 for us on our short, depressing track (think walking dead).  We didn't want to fight the wind, although it was pleasant temps.  25 miles to go on my mileage.