Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins have miles to go before they sleep! (Read 201 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! 

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) 

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Scotty - glad you're ok. Enjoy the rental - sometimes it's fun to drive someone else's car!

Bin - glad to hear your little one is getting better.

Awood - to race or not to race, that is the question!

Zelanie - thanks for the inspiration ! 

For me it's the gym, hopefully, after work. A radio DJ said the biggest fear people have that are hosting a holiday party is a toilet malfunction. So we are having a party Friday. Yesterday I am in the bathroom and I hear a strange sound. I lift the cover off of the tank and it is empty and the water is just trickling in. Now I have to play plumber and replace the fill valve/float assembly.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Very tired today.  Sleepy!  MLR tonight.

Gustav, hope the party goes toilet accident free.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy 12.12.12  !!!!

Hope to get back outside today after the indoor track.  Still dizzy....

Philliefan33

Good morning.  I'm feeling kinid of tired and achey today -- just one of those days I guess.  About 5 miles planned for this afternoon.  I hope the sun comes out, I haven't seen sunshine since Friday.  I'm sure a run in the sun would improve my mood Smile

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

This is the last time we'll ever see a repeating date, and it's my wife's grandmother's 90th birthday, pretty cool.

Wait for it......8 miles done. Smile 

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav -  I have complete faith in you if you decide to fix that toilet yourself.  Have a good workout, but yeah...you can fix that toilet.

Docket - I'm thinking energy drink this morning.  I know its not the best solution, but hey.

Jerry - I didn't even think about that.  I think I'll get a $12 lunch at 12.

Phillie - I can't promise sunshine, but I agree.  A run in the sun can fix a lot.

I'll catch you guys later.  Sounds like I might be racing this weekend.  Take it easy.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Hey all,

Gustav, just plan on 4 trips to the plumbing store minimum Smile  Good Luck!

Damaris, MLR is what 15-20? Smile

Jerry, Not sure which would be worse indoor track or tread mill...

Margo, hope you feel better, and the sun comes out!

Dave, nice miles, and since I am going to live forever (thats why we are all running right?) I plan on seeing many more Smile.

Awood, yup energy drink for me as well, though I am going to cut myself off of high caffiene drink for new years resolution.

5.2 miles this morning, clear but cold.  Need more precip.  I need to get some long runs in or my half in Feb is going to be rough.  Glad I am not racing it.

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

hog4life

Hey everyone, sleep , then run, then work, rinse and repeat till the weekend.

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone, just sitting here at work. Got 3.2 done lastnight, feeling a bit under-the-weather today. Throat hurts and nose is a bit stuffy.

So I decided after the holidays are over my wife and I are going to try to Paleo diet in Jan. I guess that excessive spamming of the paleo diet from RWOL has finally won me over.... lol.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Gustav- I think you can fix the toilet yourself. I woud get on youtube and find a couple of videos. You will probably save about $75 by doing it yourself.

Damaris- go get a double shot of something good and get moving, you will wake up. Also, good luck on your run later. I am sure you will do great.

Jerry- Those little tracks would drive me crazy. I did 6 miles on a regular outdoor track a couple of weeks ago and a friend saw my map online and said it looked like i was on a merry go round.

Phillie- sun and activity will help. also, tell yourself that you will have a good day and act like you are having a good day and your day will be fine. It is an old teacher trick......fake it until you make it.

Super dave- do you run the same route everyday? is it like ground hog day for you? keep up the good work.

Brady- way to go on those 5.2. there was not a cloud in the sky down here in south texas. it made it a little cold. I am glad you didnt have precipitation.

mitch - sounds like me, but I get to change some dirty diapers in there sometimes Smile

AFM - I didnt bother checking the temp this am before I went out for 7 miles. I am glad I opted for some pants along with my hoodie. legs were a little stiff for the first mile or so and then I warmed up. for some reason I was fast today (relative). When I realized that I was moving pretty good I threw in a few strides and fun with it. Here are my paces:

1- 12:59 - off because this inculded walking down my driveway and to the end of the block.

2- 11:11

3- 11:30 - mostly up hill

4- 11:08

5- 10:11

6-  10:06

7- 9:36

When I got home I checked the temp and it said 30 deg. I was like holy crap I am an idiot, I am glad I opted for the pants. I ran the last mile or so with the hood off because my head was hot. I dont really plan on doing a fast run like this for a little while. Smile

Make today great,

Tomas

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Hello everyone, just sitting here at work. Got 3.2 done lastnight, feeling a bit under-the-weather today. Throat hurts and nose is a bit stuffy.

So I decided after the holidays are over my wife and I are going to try to Paleo diet in Jan. I guess that excessive spamming of the paleo diet from RWOL has finally won me over.... lol.

sorry I missed you on the personals, you snuck in on me. I dont know if you listen to any podcasts, but there is one called the fat burning man. its pretty good stuff. I dont do paleo, but I enjoyed listening to this guy.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Zelanie

Good morning!  I have 6 miles to go today before I sleep.

I am hoping that my car starts this morning- DH had to come rescue me from the grocery store parking lot last night.  I am thinking it's the battery and can drop it off on the way to work if I can get it started.

Gustav- Glad you liked the quote!

D- Enjoy the MRL of indeterminate length

Margo- Hoping for sun!

D2- Happy 90th to your wife's Gma!

Awood- GL this weekend!  I don't know if you saw yesterday's thread, but the gauntlet has been thrown.

Brady- Have a good run later!

Mitch- Halfway there!  You can do it!

Jimmy- Hope you are feeling better.

Tomas- Wow!  That's a cold run!  Good job getting it done!

Scotty- Glad you're OK!  Hope the car is better than new soon!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Gustav- hope your toilet gets fixed on time!

Docket- have a good run tonight.

Jerry- enjoy running outside. I can't do the track thing or TM thing I get bored too easily!

Philliefan- Feel better, hope your run goes well and cures all!

Dtothe2- nice job on the 8. Recovered from your "marathon" yet?

awood- what would the distance of your impromptu race be this weekend?

Brady- are you saying you WANT precipitation when you run?

hog- have a good run

jblack- hope you feel better soon

T-rod- sounds like a good run.....it's probably smart to check the temp before you dress for your run, haha glad you didn't over or under dress too badly

I have been beyond exhausted lately. Not sure if I'm sick, just run down, or what but I took the day off work today to get some extra sleep and get a few things done for the holidays. I still have my part-time job at 4:00 tonight but I'm playing hooky on my full time job! Wondering if I want to try to get a run in....today was supposed to be a run day before I decided I was so exhausted I not only wanted to turn off the alarm, skip the run and go back to sleep til I had to get up for work, but I wanted to call out of work and turn off the alarm all together! We will see if I feel better after I go take another nap. I don't know quite what's wrong with me....hopefully I'm not getting sick and a little more sleep will cure me!!!

Have a great day Penguins!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Brady- are you saying you WANT precipitation when you run?

Yup more points for the Winter Running Challenge Smile

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.