Beginners and Beyond

hog4life's New 8k PR With Bella; Video Link Added to Bottom of OP (Read 52 times)

hog4life

Here's a little more info on my 8k from May 3. This is the 5th year to run the race, and was my very first race back in 2010 when I took up running recreationally. It's interesting to see the times over 5 years...

2010 - 56:01

2011 - 45:52

2012 - 39:36

2013 - 40:57

2014 - 38:08

For the May 3, 2014 race, I finished 20/130 O/A , 3/6 A/G, time was 38:08, pace was 7:40, run with my dog Bella, she turns 2 YO on May 13. Temp was 48 degrees at the start, full sunshine, a slight breeze, and 60 degrees or so at the finish. Race proceeds go to The Neighborhood Christian Center, which is an outreach for families and children in need of help. My employer made a $500.00 donation to help the cause.

My intent for this race, since I was running with Bella, was to go out at an 8:00 pace, and if I felt good and Bella was doing okay, to pick it up to the 7:50 range. But I secretly felt pretty strong as my mileage has been very good lately with the couple halves I did last month. But I also wanted to "film" this run for my son by wearing his GoPro camera, and if Bella needed to stop, then we would just slow down and cruise at LR pace to the finish. There is also the fact that I wanted to wear my new Team TJ shirt, so,.......as long as I finished, it would be a great day. It was a beautiful day for a race, compared to last year's 42 degrees, feels like 38 degrees, and a down pouring rain the entire race.

Mile 1 was 7:24, oops, a little too fast, I run very wide tangents for the first couple of corners so Bella wouldn't get into the path of anyone. She usually pulls me a little the first bit, but will then settle down and stay relatively close. I hold her leash in my R hand, and I got caught on the L side of the starting field, this is a lesson for next time. After about 1/2 mile or so, the field thinned and we were able to merge to the R side.

Mile 2 was 7:36, at the end of mile 1, I kind of camped out behind a group of 6-8 guys. They seemed to be running a good pace, and actually kept me from speeding up too much. Somewhere towards the end of mile 2, I couldn't stay behind these guys anymore.

Mile 3 was 7:51, this section of the course, at least part of it, is on a greenway path. It was narrow and had grass along both sides which was good for Bella. I had started to pass all these 6-8 guys, and by mile 3 I was looking ahead to the next rabbit. I have to watch the video to make sure, but I think only one person passed me.

Mile 4 was 7:46, it has a 45 feet gain in elevation(haha, it's an overpass), at mile 3.5,  that had a water station on the very top. Bella was breathing heavy, but not like she was too hot. During training runs, I usually stop every 3 miles for her to have some water, and/or slow her heart rate a little. Anyways, at this 3.5 ish water stop, we stopped for a few seconds, she would only take a very small sip of water, so we started back up.

Mile 5(.97) was 7:24, I was randomly checking my watch with this one mile to go. I knew that I would be close to my old PR of 39:36. I was feeling really good and Bella was hanging tough so we just kept pushing on. As we neared the finish, I shortened her leash so she wouldn't get tangled up in the finish chute. Crossed the line in 38:08 for a huge PR at this distance.

Bella did an amazing job and was very well behaved. I am very proud of her! This is her first time being around a lot of people. She was the star of the race, even though the winner won in 24:05(4:51 pace), for a new state AG record. After the race, we got in line for a biscuit, cookies and to collect my AG award. Bella was first place canine too! She drank 2 full bottles of water after the race as we were sitting on the curb cooling off. All kinds of people wanted to come pet her and take pictures. I can't wait to run this race with her again.

My Garmin had the course a little long at 5.03 miles, time was 38:14, but I think it was long for me because I was running very wide tangents first part of the race. I hope the video turns out okay, I'll try to post it here once my son gets it edited and loaded. Here are a couple of pics.

This one is before the race started.

This one is after the race.

Here's TJ

Coming into the finish chute

Bella gulping some water

Expand

Thanks for reading,

Mitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Zn0RkT_GeRM

Mitch,

Awesome PR for you and Bella! Love your shirt supporting TJ.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

You've got an amazing running partner there.  I'm trying to get my dog into training shape, but he's got a long ways to go.  His first mile is always his best, and we start slowing down after that...lol  I'd like to take him today, but he played hard at the cookout yesterday.

I know you like those half marathons, but you're times in the shorter races are coming along really well.  You're going to get quite the collection of AG awards if you keep this up.  Congrats Mitch!  The TJ shirt is awesome!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

That is one good looking runner in that first photo, Mitch.  And you look pretty good too!

Very nice photos!  Congrats to you and Bella!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Way to go -- a PR with a dog and a GoPro!

Way to go Mitch. BTW, when do we get to see the video

workinprogress11

Great job. Congratulations!

Congrats Mitch, great progression over those 5 years.

Bella is true to her name, what a pretty dog.

LRB

Those are two cool cats right there! 

Congrats Mitch!  Your times show great improvement.  Looks like the pooch was sucking wind coming in or you may have done even better.  lol

Seriously though nice race!  Will racing with Bella become something you do more often?

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That video is awesome!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

LRB

That video is awesome!

+1

Bella actually kicked butt!  What you need are a pair of roller skates for the next race and just enjoy the ride.  lol

Little Blue

How cool is that, running with your new partner. She's beautiful.  And speedy!  I couldn't watch the video, it made my eyes all googly.  Cool idea, though.  Nice racing!

Robert31320

Team TJ

That's just all kind of awesome!  We loved the video, Bella did great!

Again, you have no idea how much we appreciate you.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Classic! Great race, Bella(you too, Hog). I wish my dog could run like that.  I'm sure Scotty is proud. Oh, that is a cool TJ shirt.

GinnyinPA

Congratulations to both of you.  You did great.  Bella is obviously built for speed, but you've done a great job training her to have the stamina for a race like this.