Beginners and Beyond

Does finding a new running route get you excited? (Read 111 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I do, especially for my long runs. Living on the outskirts of a small town/city like Chandler with about 2 miles from Evansville gives me opportunities to enjoy the country side and just go for miles. I found that route for this Sunday's 9 miler last night while driving around, I even used my Tahoe's trip odometer and measured 9 miles from my house with a good .4-.5 mile for walking. I cannot wait to run it Sunday, and I am going to look for more roads and routes to run further as my long run mileage increases, I am so excited!!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

New routes help with the boredom, that is for sure.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Not at home, but yes when I'm travelling.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I must be a bit of a weirdo, but I don't think I would be too excited if it were in the city. Country roads that keep leading somewhere always make me happy to explore them, especially on foot. Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Will run for scenery.

For trails, heck yeah !

I surf the web, read books, buy maps.  I'm always looking for that perfect new run.  When I find something that "clicks" it's like Christmas, usually along with the agonizing wait.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, trails are awesome but I don't get to do them as often as I'd like, especially during summer here. Hopefully this winter I will be running more trails.

For trails, heck yeah !

I surf the web, read books, buy maps.  I'm always looking for that perfect new run.  When I find something that "clicks" it's like Christmas, usually along with the agonizing wait.

PRs

SheCan

Yes, yes, yes, yes yessssss!!!!!  Love when i find a new trail!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Heck yeah!  I even get excited when I find an alternate part of a running route.  Just having options of somewhere else to turn or a different little loop can make my day.

FS87 - you are blessed for having many options in the countryside for long runs.  Very cool. For me, not many choices until vacation time.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The same old route just begins to get old, and can make my running feel stagnant and boring so it's really cool when I can find roads that lead out and back towards my house with the perfect mileage I need to run.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That sucks, I'd go crazy if I had to wait until vacation time... because I don't get vacation time really. Someday, of course 2-3 years from now I am going to enjoy an occasional 25-30 mile run out here, with a nice steady pace that could keep me going all day.

FS87 - you are blessed for having many options in the countryside for long runs.  Very cool. For me, not many choices until vacation time.

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I like going exploring, no matter where I am, country or city.   During my Air Force days when I was traveling all the time, every time I'd go to a new place, I'd go run and purposefully get myself lost and then find my way back again. It was a great way to really get to know your way around in a new place you just moved to.

Of course, that can sometimes get you in trouble.  I did that when I first moved to San Antonio and ended up getting shot at on a route...that was exciting all right...and not in a good way.  Joking

Even so, in spite of certain areas it's best to keep out of,  I am very lucky in my area. I have around 100 running routes I can choose from and even with that, I still have parts of San Antonio and the surrounding area that I have not yet explored on a run, even though I've lived here 19 years.  There are LOTS of options here, which is great.  We runners here can do paved roads or   off-road paved trails or unpaved  off-road natural trails, and some places you can do a combination of all three on one run.  We also can do flat in some areas, hills in other areas or, again, a combination of both.   In spite of our brutal summers, we have some pretty nice running here in San Antonio.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Honestly I can't wait to get my GPS watch so I can unchain myself from the routes I have been running for the last year or so. I do change them a bit every few months, which helps.

- Andrew

Docket_Rocket

I think that is the best part of having a GPS watch.  Do I go left or right today?  Let's see!

Honestly I can't wait to get my GPS watch so I can unchain myself from the routes I have been running for the last year or so. I do change them a bit every few months, which helps.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

Agree with Docket about that.  Sure, it's nice not having to enter all my data manually but the best thing is just deciding to turn right or left and not worrying about having to recall the route once I get back.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).