Beginners and Beyond

Indianapolis Monumental (Debut) Marathon RR (Read 108 times)

Pinktastic

Way to go, Awood!   Wow!  What a great race!    You, sir, have tremendous mental fortitude, and that's a huge part of doing well in the marathon.    I've been watching your training, and I've been looking forward to this RR.   It was worth the wait!   Congrats on a Pinktacular debut!

Huge Congrats to your DW on her half debut as well!  :-)

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

outoftheblue

Congrats on both the awesome sub 4 hour debut and on the journey you took getting there!

Life is good.

PADRunner

Congrats!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Awood - Great running! I'm very happy for you. You ran a good race; most likely smarter than I ran my debut 3 weeks ago. I enjoyed reading your report and look forward to more in the future! Congrats!

- Andrew

kettledrum

Congrats!  I loved reading your report, thanks for taking the time to reflect and share!

Ms Chenandler Bong

Wow, you had an amazing marathon debut!!  I'm completely impressed!!   Glad you enjoyed the race and the route, I think the directors do a really good job with it.  And I too cursed the torn up road for that 100 yards or so.  I did run through the high-five tunnel that those high schooler did right in front of the navel armory, which was fun.

Anyways, great job and congrats to your wife as well!!!

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Woohooo!  Congrats to you and your wife!  You were not all that far off your initial goal, you did quite well running with shoes 'full of glass", lol.   You are way speeedy, buddy!  Congrats!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Ric-G

congrats...nice job going sub 4 on a debut...and great rr too...enjoy the recovery!

marathon pr - 3:16

meaghansketch

What a fantastic debut, Awood!  I think you definitely did the right thing by waiting a year.  You were really able to improve your aerobic base a lot from where it must have been a year ago.  Your plan for the next year or so sounds very smart and is pretty much what I did after my first marathon.  I took a year to focus entirely on shorter races (but keep the mileage up) and was able to get quite a bit faster.  I loved reading your RR and hearing about your whole journey.  Congratulations to your wife on her HM as well!

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on a great debut!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Just B.S.

Seriously an outstanding transformation. You went through a lot and perservered! and I

am so so happy for you! And to run a sub 4 at your first marathon, you should be totally thrilled!!

delicate flower

Congrats to Awood and Le Pew!  Great job to you both!  Cool

Loved the description of all the pain seemingly coming at once around mile 23.  Funny how that works.  Nice to hear the foot issues, while painful, weren't bad enough to make you stop running.  Going sub-4 your first time out is pretty dang impressive, Awood, and a milestone many marathons strive for.

<3

Awesome job! I loved reading you RR. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

GinnyinPA

Great race report and great race.  You did an incredible job, especially given the recent pain plaguing you.  Congratulations.

lagrandegazelle

Great job! Congratulations on your progress!