Beginners and Beyond

The new list is out; Do not say these words in 2015 (Read 105 times)

LRB

BAE – One of the top nominees. “The most annoying term of affection to show up in years. Also, the concept ‘before anybody else,’ developed AFTER the word became popular. Reason enough for it to be banned. – Blan Wright, Sugar Hill, Ga.

POLAR VORTEX – “Wasn’t it called ‘winter’ just a few years ago? -- Dawn Farrell, Kanata, Ont., Canada

HACK – Banished for over-use and mis-use. “This word is totally over-used and mis-used. What they really mean is ‘tip’ or ‘short cut,’ but clearly it is not a ‘hack,’ as it involves no legal or ethical impropriety or breach of security.” – Peter P. Nieckarz Jr., Sylva, N.C.

SKILL SET – “Why use two words when one will do? We already have a perfectly good word in ‘skills’ (ending with an s, not a z).” – Chip Lupo, Columbia, S.C.

SWAG – “The word ‘swag’ has become a shapeless, meaningless word used in various forms (such as swaggy) but with no real depth.” – Bailey Anderson, Washington, Iowa. “Whether it's a ‘free gift’ (banished in 1988) or droopy clothing, this word is neither useful nor fancy.” – Jeff Drake, Saint Albans, West Va.

FOODIE -- many nominations over the past several years. Is it a Michigan thing? “It's ridiculous. Do we call people who like wine ‘winies’ or beer lovers ‘beeries’?” – Randall Chamberlain, Traverse City, Mich. “’Someone who enjoys food’ applies to everyone on Earth. What's next?  ‘Oh, I'm an airie; I just love to breathe.’ ‘Could we do it at 11, instead?  I'm kind of a sleepie.’” – Andy Poe, Marquette, Mich.

CURATE/CURATED – “It used to have a special significance reserved mainly for fine art and museums. Now everything is curated. Monthly food and clothing subscription boxes claim to be finely ‘curated.’ Instead of abusing curated, why don't they say what they really mean: ‘We did an online search and posted the first 25 items we found’ or the ‘curated selection of items in your box this month are a mix of paid placements and products that have failed to sell elsewhere.’” – Samantha McCormick, Kirkland, Wash.

FRIEND-RAISING – “A horrible word that conflates the real meaning of friendship with usually hidden motivations to get at the other person's pockets.” – Mary Been, Sidnaw, Mich.

CRA-CRA – That’s just crazy. Early in 2014, Steve Kaufman of Houston, Tex., could be heard screaming, “I've only heard it twice and already know by the end of the year I'll want to scream.”

ENHANCED INTERROGATION – “A shameful euphemism for torture.” – David Bristol, Byron Center, Mich.

TAKEAWAY – “It’s used all too frequently on news programs, as in, ‘What is your 'takeaway' on (a given situation.’ ‘What is our 'takeaway' on Congress' vote?’ ‘Is there any 'takeaway' on the recent riots?’  I have heard Jon Stewart use it. I've heard Charlie Rose use it, as well as countless numbers of news talking heads, usually for all the wrong reasons. For me, a takeaway is a sports term, where one team is controlling the ball (or puck) and the other steals it, or took it away - a 'takeaway.’  In the U.K., ‘takeaway’ food is known as 'to go' here in the Colonies. – John Prokop, Oakland, Calif.

-NATION – a suffering sports suffix “Purely with reference to a specific teams’ fans, this word needs to go. It's the following of a sports franchise, not a group seeking independence, recognition and legitimacy; Not even if it's the Cubs.” – Tim Wilcox, Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. Canada.

(link)

LRB

"So what kind of swag [insert new word or term here] did you get from your race?"

Little Blue

Can I add "experience"?  I'm sorry, not every venture out is an experience.  I do not have a banking experience. I do not have a dry cleaning or shopping experience.  Those are called errands.  I do not have an automotive experience.  I have my tires rotated.  If I have a dining experience, it had better be at somewhere swanky, not Panera Bread.

LRB

lol

Hip Redux

I want to add "jelly" to the list.  As in, "I am so jelly that you get to go on vacation."    Like nails on a chalk board.

LRB

Not one to tote jelly 'eh? I can dig it.

Little Blue

I want to add "jelly" to the list.  As in, "I am so jelly that you get to go on vacation."    Like nails on a chalk board.

Totes.

Hip Redux

LRB

LRB

I'll add one of my own; colorway. As to colors on running shoes, instead of just saying colors. 

Little Blue

I'll add one of my own; colorway. As to colors on running shoes, instead of just saying colors. 

Never heard of that one.

LRB

Never heard of that one.

It's shoe rep speak.  Gets old fast.

happylily

I hate with a passion tote and jelly and all the other words like amazeballs that make one look like he/she is 12 years old. Grow up for god's sake.

Of the words on the list, most I am unfamiliar with, but I am a little sad that swag is there. I only recently started using the word under its other meaning. In fact, I told my son-in-law just a few days ago that he looked swag with his new hat on. He and my daughter both laughed. Apparently it was funny the way I said it.  Anyway, I guess I won't have to use that word again.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

From the Internet.

I would also like to add "work flow" to the list. My cousin uses it on Facebook to apparently describe her work outfit of the day, and my brain just explodes every time.

delicate flower

I would like "rest day" to be added to the banned words list.

<3