Beginners and Beyond

Week 28 Penguins are ditching their bras!! (07/08-07/14) (Read 15 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is National No Bra day.  Won't work with my girls, but hey, if yours want to be free, this is the day!!

We had LOVELY weather this weekend, cool nights and not too hot days.  It was in the 50's when we got up this morning.  So woo-hoo for the weather, and I wish I could pipe some breezes down to you, Docket.  I also made my first ever blueberry pie, and although the bottom crust got a little tough (what's up with that?), overall it turned out very well indeed.  Not too often we'll have four cups of blueberries on hand, though ...

Have an awesome day, all Penguins chatting and lurking!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Mine can't be free either.  Ha.

I have 6 miles and maybe weights or kickboxing.

HopesMom, glad you have lovely weather.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Aaand, summer returns.  This would be a good day to ditch the bra!  Our chorus is working on "Taint No Sin", and it's quite apropos for hot summer weather.  Taint no sin to take off your skin, and dance around in your bones!!

Setting up interviews for my tech position for week after next.  Getting a few details in line for DH's birthday next week.  Chorus director is away on Thursday so my fellow assistant director and I are in charge.  Need to make a plan for the evening.  Woo-hoo!!

Docket_Rocket

I didn't even summer could leave...ever. Smile  Good luck with the interviews!

Morning!  I have Pilates and 7 with 2 @ MP.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning!!  Yep, it's hot out.  So in the early morning, when DH gets up and I hit the shower, he opens a window downstairs.  When I get downstairs, I do him one better and just open the door to the backyard and leave it standing open.

The cats love this immensely.  They go in and out about every five minutes.

They're gonna be pissed in a couple of months when it's chilly in the morning and I leave the door closed!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 miles and maybe OTF or kickboxing.

HopesMom.  We are the opposite.  We let the cats go outside in the "winter", you know 2-3 days a year, ha.  But Sammy gets pissed after she is not allowed out after it gets too hot, lol.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Kickboxing always sounds like fun!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Spent all day in court, ugh, but it was fun.  I have 4 with strides tonight and Pilates.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Ugh, but it was fun?  Although you do run marathons, which would also be ugh but fun ...

Time for me to fess up, I guess.  I've been fussing about the high parking deck fees for a couple of years, and the fact that they keep rising while amenities keep decreasing.  So I got the bright idea to learn to ride a bike and bike partway in.  Remember that grand plan?  Well, I'm still pretty shaky on a bike, and don't have nearly enough confidence to ride in traffic, and I felt like that was stalling my grand plan.  So a couple of months ago I got a cute little trike, which is SO.MUCH.BETTER!!!  I never worry about falling over and have so much more fun I can't even tell you.  So I took the time to ride for a bit, get familiar with things, and we rigged a way to transport it in the back of my Prius.

So all this week I have been cycle-commuting part way in to work, about 15 minutes each way.  Riding in on Monday was such a breeze, and I thought, "This is definitely doable -- they just paved this road, and it's an easy ride, woo-hoo!!"  Then in the afternoon, I discovered why it was such an easy ride.  Turns out riding in is slightly downhill!  So riding back to my car was just a pedal slog, sort of an ugh fun in and of itself.

And quartet and chorus late nights take a lot of energy, so I'll be interested to see how the ride out tonight goes, given that the ride in was a little harder ... and tomorrow will be even more interesting.  Sheesh.

DH is NOT thrilled with this idea, as Richmond drivers are a little nuts, but I'm sticking to areas where people ride bikes a LOT, so drivers should be used to seeing cyclists.  I'll talk to him this weekend and see if he can live with the arrangement -- if so, I think I have a plan.  I'll try it another week, and then perhaps I'll give up my parking deck pass and save some pennies each month.

So there you go.  I am still a singer who doesn't run.  But I might be a singer who cycles ...

Docket_Rocket

Nice!  Although I thought your work is far from you (or am I misremembering)?  We need pictures of the trike, of course.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh yeah, it's 60 miles one way.  But there's a back road I take once I get off the interstate, and there's a nice spot where there's an assisted living facility, a funeral home (the proximity always makes me chuckle) and a police station across the street.  It makes for a nice quiet place to park, and then a ride in without a whole lot of traffic, at least until I get onto campus.

The trike is this one.  I have to pull off the seat and handlebars to get it in my Prius, but it's not too hard to reconfigure.  No need to fold it.

Docket_Rocket

That makes sense.  That way you can do partway and miss all the bad traffic.

That is a very cool trike.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Unlike the description, it's 6-speed.  I'm finding this is very important when going downhill in and uphill out!

And I have to laugh at myself -- 5 or 10 years ago, I would NEVER have considered doing anything like this!  I may be getting insane in my old age ...

Docket_Rocket

I think it's awesome that you are doing it.

Morning.  I have a headache so scrapping my 3 miles before heading to the airport.  Flight is at noon.  On to my next marathon (Missoula)!

Damaris

Fundraising Page