Beginners and Beyond

THURSDAILIES: Fridailies' Scrawny Little Cousin (Read 40 times)

Hip Redux

. Seems it would be pretty difficult to change your form substantially. It's one thing for people to change something like a baseball or golf swing, that you do a manageable number of times. But to change every step, for thousands of steps?

Thousands of steps + bad form = injury.

Of course there are anomalies but at any recreational running event, I bet you can pick out who is running with weak hips, who is over striding, etc.  I will agree that good form is highly dependent on the person's individual build, but that doesn't mean that what you automatically do is good for you.

There is such a thing as good form with cycling as well, another thing that you do"thousands" of - it just takes mindful awareness of it.

Thousands of steps + bad form = injury.

Of course there are anomalies but at any recreational running event, I bet you can pick out who is running with weak hips, who is over striding, etc.  I will agree that good form is highly dependent on the person's individual build, but that doesn't mean that what you automatically do is good for you.

There is such a thing as good form with cycling as well, another thing that you do"thousands" of - it just takes mindful awareness of it.

I doubt I could pick those things out of a crowd. And I am not saying it shouldn't be done, just saying it seems hard. I don't want to do any hard things.

Dave

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Dude went Dear Abbey didn't he lol

**Flex**

Dave

Once you become aware of the issues spotting them is cake.

Matter of fact you can get good enough to know if your competitor is up to keeping up of not.

Late race form deterioration is a sure sign of blood in the water.

LRB

**Flex**

Dave

Once you become aware of the issues spotting them is cake.

Matter of fact you can get good enough to know if your competitor is up to keeping up of not.

Late race form deterioration is a sure sign of blood in the water.

Sometimes you can see it, sometimes you can hear it.

Dave, if nothing seems out of the way to you,  you may not have an issue.

I remember the day I suffered achilles tendonitis, I said it while I was running that I was screwing up by over compensating for my busted up hip.  Sure as shit when I got home my achilles was swollen.

My point in all of that is you usually have a good idea when something is not right.

Hip Redux

The hip drop is pretty easy to spot.  I was looking at photos from a local race last night and cringed at a few of them, because they were dropping their hips a TON which is a big sign of weak core, weak hips.   And looking back at some of my own race photos... yikes.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

#1 - I assumed the favoring caused the injuries, maybe you are saying it is the other way around?

#2 - not sure why one side would be weaker, but in fact I have also had a recurring lower abdominal/groin muscle strain on the right side

Assuming you started healthy with no outstanding issues:

My initial assumption would be that weak core and hips caused the injuries.

The injuries caused you to favor and lead to things like odd leg swing.

In my case I have a 14 year old left knee ACL surgery that I have to pay attention too for leg balance issues.

Because of it being weaker it tends to land lighter and more forefoot.  Whereas the right leg lands harder and pushes harder. I actively pay attention and do my best to keep them operating the same. Both lighter landing and equal push.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

The hip drop is pretty easy to spot.  I was looking at photos from a local race last night and cringed at a few of them, because they were dropping their hips a TON which is a big sign of weak core, weak hips. 

It is very easy to spot by watching the feet and knees from the rear.  Knees crossing the centerline or touching while the feet stay out of line to the outsides of the body causes horrible stress on the IT.

Especially evident on women who do it, the wider hips make it appear more exaggerated.

LRB

My hips don't drop when I run but my left one does sporadically when I do single leg squats.

That repetitive thing possibly leading to injury that O spoke about earlier is why I am not allowed to do them right now.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My coffee just about shot out of my nose with this one lol.

Like running with a tight ass? 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Most men have beer at home, I had to dine out to have one. 

Thanks Dave.

happylily

My coffee just about shot out of my nose with this one lol.

Finally someone who recognizes my fine sense of humor... Thank you, Andrea. 

I like a cold beer on a hot summer day and I'll drink it like water. Did you know that Ménage à Trois, a Californian wine, is the most popular wine in Quebec at the moment? Neither did I... I learned that while I was reading the paper and eating my salad at McDonald's, today.

So I had high goals for today's run, but the temperature climbed up to 82F at the end of the day and I could only manage 10 at 7:52 pace, plus one last mile at easier pace, overall 8:01 pace for 11 miles. No break. If I go with the weather conversion calculator, which says about 4 seconds lost per slice of 5F above 60F, it's like I ran 10 miles at a 7:36 effort. That's steady state for me, so I'm happy with that.

Now off to get hydration and food. I'll be back.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Pilates and 5 miles done.  These ones were faster than usual.  Good.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I like a cold beer on a hot summer day and I'll drink it like water. Did you know that Ménage à Trois, a Californian wine, is the most popular wine in Quebec at the moment? Neither did I... I learned that while I was reading the paper and eating my salad at McDonald's, today.

It's pretty popular here as well, I tried it once but it didn't do much for me (not as full as I like).  It's mostly a wine my lady friend drink, probably because it's not as dry as a Cabernet on its own.

happylily

Pilates and 5 miles done.  These ones were faster than usual.  Good.

I thought that yesterday the teacher here said these ones and those ones was not acceptable? Did I misunderstand something? Make up your mind, guys! 

happylily

It's pretty popular here as well, I tried it once but it didn't do much for me (not as full as i like).  It's mostly a wine my lady friend drink, probably because it's not as dry as a Cabernet on its own.

It tastes okay, but mostly, I like the name.