Beginners and Beyond

Am I crazy? (Read 134 times)

PADRunner

I'm currently training for my second 10k on 10/12. I was planning for my first Half in March, a long time off. Well I just saw the Dallas Half Marathon on 12/8. It's right at the 12 week mark next week. and my current training & mileage puts me between the Higdon Novice 2 and Intermediate. I could just continue on with the Novice 2 plan. So should I do it? Smile

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

If you are running comfortably, I think you could try. Are you ready for the higher mileage?

Docket_Rocket

Yes, you are, yes, you should do it, and what Jack said.

If I could add more commas to that sentence, I am sure I would.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Comfortably is debatable, if I keep the right pace I am OK. I was considering a 2/5ths (10m) this month but decided against it. My furthest long run to date has been 9.

D: Ah, but commas give me pause, time to contemplate, second guess, return to sanity.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

If you can do 9 miles, you could do 13.1. Especially if there's cheering. Smile Looking at your PRs, I think you could shoot for a 2:45 finish or so, depending on how training goes.

- Andrew

#artbydmcbride

Yes you are crazy.  In a good way.  You should race it.

Runners run

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Go for it and while you are at it, ditch the novice 2 plan and go with the intermediate plan.  Your new PR will like you for it.

LRB

If you can do 9 miles, you could do 13.1.

Word.

I ran my first half marathon on an 8 mile long run (something I would not recommend by the way), and that sense of accomplishment remains one of the highlights of my running career.

GinnyinPA

If you can do 9 now, and you have 12 weeks to increase to 13, you'll be more than ready.  Have fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If you can do 9 miles, you could do 13.1.

Wishful thinking. Maybe you could, maybe not. That depends a lot on the rest of your training including amount of quality miles, average mpw, and length of time you've been running.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

monkkey

Crazy?  Actually, your plan sounds rather reasonable.  Go for it!

Jess runs for bacon

Nope, not crazy.

PADRunner

Thanks for the encouragement, I guess I'll give it a shot!

(Teach me to ask a bunch of crazy people if I'm crazy.)Smile

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Pfft...

Of course you should, I will be there.  Wink

PADRunner

Pfft...

Of course you should, I will be there.  Wink

Cool, I'll be right behind you. Way behind you! From the pictures I've seen it looks huge.