Beginners and Beyond

RR - "get your stinky old shoes out of the house" 5K (Read 75 times)

Ok, actually Shoes For the Shelter 5K, put on by Canisius College, with runners encouraged to donate old shoes for the needy.   A small box truck looked to be about 2/3 full afterwards, nice.

It was sunny.  It was well above freezing, perhaps upper 40s by the start.  People were nearly dancing in the street.  I made today a dress rehearsal for Boston, wearing my intended outfit but swapping out Ekidens for Elixirs, because faster.  (2nd Buffalo News Runner of the Year series race, so an extra level of competition.)

I warmed up and even stretched before shedding my sweats, and realized that Frank Shorter short shorts are short.  I also had to pee with not enough time to descend into the bowels of the athletic complex, and luckily found a secluded alley behind a building housing generators or something.

National anthem, siren.  No nonsense, the way it should be.  I got out cleanly and a lead pack of about 15 guys formed.  Looking around, I was hanging with some runners that are well above my level.  "No one wants to kill it yet", I thought, like the comparatively slow opening laps of a track race.  By about a half mile though, the pack slowly dissolved and I only had a couple guys nearby -- one breathing heavily and one running strongly.  5:15 mile split, could this be a sub 17 day?  Run hard and find out.

The course was very flat and fast, but a tight roundabout in front of the Albright-Knox art gallery probably stole a few seconds.  Coming back past the rest of the runners now on an out and back leg, I used a slight incline to surge past Heavy Breather.  A few "go Jay!"s mixed in with a raucous chorus of "go Bean!"s  (Bean being the nickname of one of the fastest ladies around here.  She coaches at Canisius and so was surely going all-out today.)  Still feeling strong and happy to be in flats, I decided that I wouldn't get passed easily (like she did at the Shamrock 8k) and set my sights on the one catchable guy.  Well beyond 2 miles, I started to plan a big kick, but never got a visual on the chute and time clock until it was too close.  So a little kick had to do and I caught no one, but neither was I caught.

17:08 was easily good for 1st AG, and 10th OA got me a single point in the overall ROTY standings, lol.   "Bean" set a course record in 17:20, which must have been super cool to do as the school favorite.

Someone probably used a filter on this, but I love the 1970s look to it.

Zelanie

Love the photo!  You are looking fast and focused!  Congrats on the AG award!  Is that a PR for you?

Love the photo!  You are looking fast and focused!  Congrats on the AG award!  Is that a PR for you?

Thanks! Not a PR, but better than usual.

Zelanie

Thanks! Not a PR, but better than usual.

Well, you didn't run this one in the middle of your long run this time. Smile

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jay, you make it look so effortless. Well done, my friend.

PADRunner

Nice race!

happylily

GREAT racing, Jay! You have been running so well this season, I can't wait for your Boston RR.

The picture is superb. It does have a retro quality to it. I love it.

Congratulations on a fantastic finish time and 1st place AG award! You definitely are our champion! (And big congrats to Bean as well. Fast woman, yeah!)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Congrats on another great race, and yes, that is a sweet pic.

Pinktastic

Love the pic!  Congrats on a great race and on the AG win!   You're a ROCK STAR, Jay!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  Love the pic!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ric-G

great job jay...that pic has a great tone too...great write up, congrats!

marathon pr - 3:16

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I don't know if I'll reach those kinds of time, but man I  bet it's fun to run that fast.  Great job!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

outoftheblue

You look and are FAST.  Congrats on another great race!  Can't wait to hear how Boston goes.

Life is good.

LRB

That is a nice Kenyan lean you got going there.  I wondered if I had it since I never saw it until my last event finally.  That is about the only thing I have in common with them, well, one of two things.  lol

That is a nice bit of speed work heading into Boston!

What are your thoughts on pre-race stretching now that you have tried it?  Have you ever done running drills prior to racing?  After stretching I did a set of running drills (butt kicks, high knees, quick feet) before my half and while I cannot say they helped, I can say they did not hurt.

Great race Jay! Super fast as usual!

Dave