Beginners and Beyond

Weekend Penguins (Read 17 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I'm supposed to do a "fast finish" long run today.  It is supposed to be 6 easy/3 fast finish.  I may change it to be 3 easy/3.1 hard/3 easy because there's a free 5k that is about 3 miles away starting at 9 am.  Both my husband and my dog are sick right now so I feel a bit bad leaving them.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Jill - that's a great way to do your long run.  I hope you were able to do it and that everyone at home gets better soon.

I'm supposed to do 8 at MP.  It looks like it's about to start raining, so I may end up on the TM. It's easier to hold pace there, but the pace feels a lot faster when the belt is moving under me.

PADRunner

Morning, 13.3 MP done on the TM.

From the Internet.

5K PR this morning, on the heels of a 52+ mile week, no less Big grin I stopped after the wrong timing mat and had a sad because I thought I'd have come in under 22 if I'd kept going, but it couldn't have cost me more than 2-3 seconds even though it felt like an eternity when it happened - 6:46 pace for the last 0.13. Official time 22:10, good for 3rd F20-29! I am now huddled under a mass of blankets trying to get warm - was perfect racing weather, around 50 with a little rain, but I was wet for too long between waiting for awards and driving home!

Amazonian Princess

Awesome job, Lauren, WTG on AG placement!

Hello, igloo!

13.1 at the Quarry Turkey HM this morning. Another coach from my running group came out to pace me but had a rough one so I ended up coaching her thru . Slowest HM but the most fun so far. Just sent in my info to Half Fanatics - is it silly that I'm so excited?

I can. I will. I am. 

GinnyinPA

Baconista - congratulations.

Lauren - excellent race.

I ran in the rain after all.  It was a light rain, and warm, so no big deal.  Excellent MP run.

From the Internet.

Just sent in my info to Half Fanatics - is it silly that I'm so excited?

Nope, everything about running is exciting, haha Smile Let us know when you get your number!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

No race today, so slept in until 7 a.m. Then up, ate some breakfast, watched a bit of TV. Then off to Fort Sam Houston for a run. Oops..dang it, forgot my shower shoes...stop at Walmart to get a pair. Get to the base...dang it, forgot my energy gel! Short stop at the exchange. Dang, I hope this is not the way my run is going to go, lol. Nope..run/walk went great! A little windy and 40 degrees, with wind chill of 37, but at least it didn't rain on me. And a couple of my dog pals were out in their yards on my route, so I gave them treats. Aside from stepping into a flippin' semi-deep puddle along the way and getting my shoes, socks, and feet really wet - at least I was almost done at that point, thank goodness - it was a very good outing. 3.2 miles done in 33:04 as a 'shake-out' for my legs for my 5K race tomorrow, after sitting on my butt all day Friday watching football. Race #63 for the year tomorrow, Santa Antonio 5K.

It also helped that, with about a half-mile to go back to the gym, a very nice looking young lady came running past me and then ahead of me, leading me back to the gym and motivating me to keep moving forward. After I got back to the gym I found her inside and did thank her for giving me "old man motivation" and gave her a laugh for the morning, lol. Very nice young lady, one of our "Army Strong" folks.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Good racing, Pens!  Some of the igloo denizens are getting quite strong and fast.

Drove home from the Poconos this afternoon, but didn't get out to do my 4 miles until after dark tonight. A lot of the neighbors have their Christmas lights up so it was a nice run.

From the Internet.

Turkey leftover party at my igloo! Holy cow. In-laws sent us home with the rest of the turkey carcass on Thursday and I just made that sucker into 12+ cups of shredded turkey meat and like a gallon of stock. I had planned to make turkey carnitas tomorrow, looks like a whole lot of it is going to get frozen too!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Didn't get out there yesterday after all :-(  I'll get my long run done today though.  I guess I already blew the holiday run streak but I can still do a December run streak =P

PAD - 13.3 on the TM sounds brutal.  Did you get off and take breaks at all?

Lauren - congrats on the PR and the abundant turkey

Ginny - I'm glad you toughed it out in the rain.. it is good to train in the nasty weather in case race day is gross.

PF - Christmas lights are always fun.  There's a neighborhood in Brooklyn that has amazing lights -- maybe I should organize a small group run with my running buddies.

Bacon - congrats on half fanatics.  How did you qualify?

Good luck today D!

PADRunner

sapf - I took a couple of short breaks but I try not to.

5.7 on the TM this morning and an unknown distance group race this afternoon in the cold rain, probably 8.

Zelanie

I took a couple of days off for travel and was feeling pretty good, so I ran 10 on the TM tonight and now the piriformis is sore again.  So naturally I'm thinking of starting a streak. :P  I've never done one, and actually think more frequent shorter runs is probably exactly what I need right now. I'd like to get in 6.2 today just to stay on pace with my goal for the week.

sapf- We can be December streakers together!

Ginny- Glad you had a nice run!

PAD- Nice TM run!  Good luck today!

Lauren- Congratulations, speedy!  And I bet you run down every mat in sight from now on!  "Out of my way, medal-lady, I think I see a mat up there!"

Bacon- Congrats on HF membership!

Scotty- Have a good race today!

Margo- Ooh, thanks for reminding me of the option of a Christmas-light viewing run. Smile

Philliefan33

No running for me today but I've been busy. This morning I helped DH get packed up and leave for a 12-day business trip. My biggest contribution is figuring out how to get his gps and iPhone connected in the rental car. Every car is a little different and he is not tech-savvy enough to figure it out. You probably could guess that just from the fact that he uses a gps despite having a smart phone. He has only had the iPhone for a month and he's afraid to play with it, so he really doesn't know how to use it yet.

Once he left I took down all the fall/Thanksgiving decorations and cleaned the house. Now I'm ready to start decorating for Christmas.

I'll do some yoga later.