Beginners and Beyond

500 Festival Training Series 10K RR (kinda long...sorry!) (Read 74 times)

Ball of Fury

Finally getting my RR done from the 10K this weekend (3/9/13).  We originally signed up for this race so I could try to run under 48:00 to move up a seeding level for 500 Festival Mini Marathon in May.  The race organization somehow mistakenly seeded me at a higher level than I was even looking for, so the pressure was off to run a sub 48, but that was my goal anyway.  I will say ahead of time I have a hard time remembering races so this may be boring and lacking details!

Race Day:  Got up around 5:30, showered, standard pre-race breakfast of oatmeal and a scrambled egg.  It was 32-33 degrees, but a feels like temp of 26 and 10 mph winds.  I had a hard time choosing what to wear, but ended up going with tights, one long sleeve running shirt, hat, and gloves.  I almost went with capris, but I will be perfectly honest that the tights/top/hat matched my Brooks Pure Flows and I just liked the way it looked (hey, I am still a girl dammit!).  Anyway, we drove downtown and there was a bit of a debacle finding parking because the garages were charging ahead of time for event parking and we had zero cash...whoops!  DH ended up running (literally) to a couple ATMs because the first one was broken.  We still got to the race site in plenty of time to pick up our bibs, check our bag, use the restroom, and run a 1 mile warm-up with a few strides.  Looking around, I saw maybe 10 people in shorts and almost everyone else had on at least tights and long sleeves, so I felt a bit better about my choice!

I lined up toward the front (about 50ish back), while DH went further back.  I ended up talking to a woman and her son and she wondered if we could run together...sadly she was hoping for a 45:00 and I told her no way!  Her son was 18 and this was his first race ever...he was just hoping to finish without walking.  I told them both good luck and about 8:07 (a few minutes late), we were off!

Mile 1:  7:26/mile I tried really, really hard to resist the urge to take off too fast...people seemed to be flying by at an alarming rate!  But, I was determined to run a better race than I usually do so I just let them go.  We had a couple small hills in this mile (which surprised me because the Mini course is perfectly flat and I just assumed this would be also), but nothing terrible (an on-ramp and another small incline).  I was feeling really good here and the pace actually seemed kinda slow, so even though I was about 15 sec ahead of goal pace, I just stuck with it (it's only a 10K after all!)

Mile 2:  7:31/mile  This mile was part of an out and back so at 9:00 min in, the leaders passed me going the other way.  I counted here and I think I was somewhere around 25th for females, so not too bad.  I was still feeling really good.  It was also in this mile that I passed another female with the longest legs I have ever seen (I seriously came up to maybe her waist!)...she did not like it so she sped up and passed me again.  We went back and forth for maybe 1/2 mile and then came a short but steep hill...I passed her there and never saw her again...guess I can be thankful I live in such a hilly area!  Oh, I also saw DH on my way back and he looked good!  There was a water stop somewhere in this mile and I took a very small sip but tried not to slow down at all.

Mile 3: 7:35/mile The course was set-up in a strange way and this mile included some of the same course as mile 1 and then we ran down by the zoo (it stunk!).  I had asked for pace advice and many people told me to be careful on miles 3 and 4 because the runners around me would slow down and I would inadvertently do so if I wasn't careful...and they were right.  I tried to really focus on my race, my form, and keeping on pace.  I was passing quite a few people here.  It was also on this mile that I passed the kid from the start line and I reminded him not to walk!  He laughed and said thanks!

Mile 4:  7:37/mile  This was a boring mile that was just down the road.  It was flat and just kinda blah.  I just kept running my race and was excited that I was still passing people...it was nice not to be dying already!  I also took another small sip of water at the water stop.

Mile 5:  7:28/mile I was still feeling strong so picked up the pace just a bit.  We ran back over the river and toward downtown so I was excited we were going in the right direction.  Still passing others and feeling good!

Mile 6:  7:51/mile This was the only disappointing mile of the race for me.  I have said before that I hate, hate, hate the wind, but we had taken so many turns we had been sheltered from it up to this point.  In the 6th mile, we were running directly into the wind and although I kept trying to tell myself to pick up the pace, my body just didn't seem to listen!  I was breathing fine, but my legs started to tire and they just wouldn't go faster.  I did get passed by 3 male runners here...I tried to go with them, but nope, wasn't happening!  I was still ok, though, because I knew my goal was in the bag!

Mile 6.2:  7:08/mile When I got to the 6 mile sign, I looked down at my watch and realized if I picked it up, I might be able to make it under 47:00!  At the sign, was one of the runners who had passed me earlier in mile 6 and he was struggling pretty badly.  I just turned to him and said, "come on...let's go!).  I took off and he took off after me,  passing me just before the finish.  I just laughed and gave him a high 5 and he said, "Thanks!"

Chip time:  46:54 or 7:33/mile; 4th in age group, 18th female (out of 815), and 125 overall (out of 1536)

Even though mile 6 was a bit rough, I was very happy with this race.  I was a 1:48 PR over my November 10K and I just felt good about the way I ran it, rather than going out to fast and really, really struggling at the end!  I am excited about the possibility of actually making my goal of 1:45 at the 500 Festival Mini Marathon!  Oh and the woman at the start line did make 45:00 and her son didn't walk!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Sloooow.

Nice job, you're fast!

I love that you gave the guy a boost at the end, and the bugger passed you. Chivalry, eh Smile

LRB

"I just felt good about the way I ran it, rather than going out to fast and really, really struggling at the end!"

That was the best line!  I am working on that too.

Enjoy rockin' that shiny new PR!

paulski66

miscreant

I had no idea so many people signed up for the training series, and no idea it was timed, etc...

Nice run, and good luck in May.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Ball of Fury

Coralie:  Thanks!  I was happy he ran with me, because it gave me an extra boost!

LRB:  We are learning....slowly, but surely!

Paul:  Thanks!  I wasn't sure how many there would be either...I think a lot of people were trying to get better corral placement because Monday was the deadline.

paulski66

miscreant

Paul:  Thanks!  I wasn't sure how many there would be either...I think a lot of people were trying to get better corral placement because Monday was the deadline.

Was this a Ken Long event? They put on a good show...

So which corral will you be in? I think I'm in B. I always seem to be in B, no matter how much I improve my time.

Ball of Fury

It wasn't....I think it was just the 500 Festival/Mini people?  I have considered doing the Hoosier 10-miler, which is Ken Long though.  I will be in Corral C.  What's your goal for the Mini?

paulski66

miscreant

It wasn't....I think it was just the 500 Festival/Mini people?  I have considered doing the Hoosier 10-miler, which is Ken Long though.  I will be in Corral C.  What's your goal for the Mini?

I was hoping for a sub-1:30, but I'm coming off an injury. Maybe a sub-1:40? We'll see how the leg bounces back.

A sub 47 10k 8 weeks out bodes well for a sub 1:45 half. Good luck!

Ball of Fury

Thanks, you too!  I should add they for some reason have me seeded Level 1 (Corral A) right now, but it's a mistake and I am going to start in C...although it would be fun to have an A bib for a while, it doesn't feel right since I didn't earn it!  Hope your injury heals quickly!

paulski66

miscreant

Thanks.

Yeah, I'd drop back from A. You may well get trampled; it's crazy in those first three corrals when the gun goes off...

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Nice RR Ami, it is so good to see a report without you having any ITB or major pains.

And your splits are just amazing, so consistent.  I would guess thats a benefit of the training plan, having you run so many intervals to get pacing down.  I wish my paces were so narrow (and fast, hehe).

BTW, how did your DH fare, if you are so inclined to respond.  I  know he is not as fast as you but he is still a pretty good runner on his own.

Gratz on the PR, I am sure you will tackle Indy with a vengence in May.

Ball of Fury

Thanks George!  He ran a 52:05, which was a PR by 46 seconds!

happylily

This wasn't long, it was just perfect. :-) Congratulations on your PR! Such a great 10k finish time! I agree that it bodes well for your upcoming HM. If I remember correctly, I think I ran a 1:45 half before I could run a sub-47:00. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if you went sub-1:45 in 8 weeks... Good luck!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Ball of Fury

Thank you happylily!  Maybe someday, when I grow up, I will be as fast and as crazy as you are (I mean that in the nicest way possible!!).

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Love those foxy splits you ran.  Wind is definitely tough, mentally and physically.  Even still, that mile 6 wasn't that far off.  Congrats on getting sub-47 and new PR in the process.  Keep up the great training!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn