Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #142 (Read 28 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Morning.

Jetta and I ran 6 miles this morning. Felt pretty okay, still a little tight in the upper thigh, it seems to move all over the place during my run, from the adductor over to the ITB.

I've got a massage appointment tonight, looking forward to it.

After some thinking, I'm really not certain about the race... it doesn't sound like it will be fun at all. Maybe the front runners will enjoy themselves, but one reason I sign up for races is to run with people, pass people and be competitive... it really is beginning to seem like more worrying over rules than running or racing.

I think I'll just wait til the small trail races this summer, I'm used to finding myself alone on the trails during those races.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have 7 and weights today.

Andrea, same here. For now, racing would cause me extra stress and it's just not worth it for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

Ran 10 with a smallish workout consisting of 12 x (1min/1min). The on parts were at hardish effort, but didn't want to get to that dark place, so it was not a difficult workout at all. But I still ran 12 minutes at 5:50-5:55-ish pace, and since I was not gasping for air, I had a clear mind and could focus on form much more than usual.

bluerun

Super B****

11 on the AlterG (Even Steven to keep it more interesting)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Morning! I have 7 and weights today.

Andrea, same here. For now, racing would cause me extra stress and it's just not worth it for me.

Yeah, I just can't make any kind of sense to go and do it. A scenario hit me this morning on my run, what if I come upon 3 other runners (or worst, walkers) that are already avoiding each other by 10 feet or whatever, I just can't see how I could avoid all 3 on a street  And no doubt most people would say fuck it and just ignore the rules. So I say fuck it all together, plus I'm coming back from an injury or whatever so it ain't worth it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

LRB

Our governor just announced that gatherings of up to 10 are allowed beginning immediately.

Speaking of congrats, a fist bump goes to DaveP and his squad for their win and knocking us out of first place in the miles game last week. As was the case a couple weeks ago against the Docket Rocket and sdWhiskers, our lowest mileage runner posted a zero. Proving yet again that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Thanks! I will say we have a really good team, good captains, and we took this matchup seriously - knowing you were tough to beat, but we had a shot. People put in a little extra. We’ve had our share of injuries like other teams, but when healthy everyone pulls their weight. 

7 miles this morning.

Dave

Any race held now, with those kind of restrictions, wouldn’t really be a race and not worth the bother imho.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Any race held now, with those kind of restrictions, wouldn’t really be a race and not worth the bother imho.

Someone posted the link that Andrea posted last night on the Maniacs FB asking if the Maniacs rule can be "amended" to allow for that kind of start. Maniacs have always required a race to be a race with at least X amount of starters and X amount of finishers (in and of itself their number is low). So that race was letting starters start in groups of 3-4 and now they want the rules to allow a marathon like that to count. Of course. 

Like you said, it wouldn't a race race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm seeing that now, road races for sure... trail races always had an isolation feel to it, after the start and about the minutes in. I'm sure they'll most likely have starting waves too, which is honestly prefer... the bottlenecks at the start always annoy me.

PRs

onemile

Our governor just announced that gatherings of up to 10 are allowed beginning immediately.

I'm not even sure if we have regulations on that anymore.

But the malls are open and there was a big line outside FinishLine yesterday of people waiting to get the newest Air Jordans

Half Crazy K 2.0

Our county exec just announced that non-essential retail can open to to 10 people at oncec in the store. You can also get your hair done, same rules, no more than 10 people total.

Freesoul, I think the issue with trail races will be aid stations. Seems like races are going BYO, so I would think longer races could be an issue unless they are on short loop courses.

KCRuns

2 things happened this morning.  I woke up with the early run alarm and it wasn't pouring rain, so I took myself outside to run for the first time in weeks. I ran 5 with 10x 2:00/1:00 at 5k effort.  8 of them were faster than my 5k PR, all of them were hard work, and I walked most of the recoveries.  I felt great at the end though!

I also noticed that my easy pace was well over a minute per mile faster outside than on the TM and I wasn't tempted or needing to take walk breaks like on the TM.  I know it's harder to run on a TM, but my paces weren't this slow on TMs at the gym.  I don't know why it is so on a home TM, but that's something I've struggled with lately.  Anyway, this morning's run felt amazing and I'm a happy camper.

Runshortii

I'm not even sure if we have regulations on that anymore.

But the malls are open and there was a big line outside FinishLine yesterday of people waiting to get the newest Air Jordans

I don’t think we do. I know Milwaukee and Racine still do but otherwise I don’t think there’s a limit anymore. The bar parking lots around here are packed  and I heard Lake Geneva was insane this past weekend with people from IL

GinnyinPA

2 things happened this morning.  I woke up with the early run alarm and it wasn't pouring rain, so I took myself outside to run for the first time in weeks. I ran 5 with 10x 2:00/1:00 at 5k effort.  8 of them were faster than my 5k PR, all of them were hard work, and I walked most of the recoveries.  I felt great at the end though!

I also noticed that my easy pace was well over a minute per mile faster outside than on the TM and I wasn't tempted or needing to take walk breaks like on the TM.  I know it's harder to run on a TM, but my paces weren't this slow on TMs at the gym.  I don't know why it is so on a home TM, but that's something I've struggled with lately.  Anyway, this morning's run felt amazing and I'm a happy camper.

The calibration on your TM may be off, so you are actually going faster there than you think. Alternately, at one point my TM got stuck at an incline of about 4 or 5. I didn't know it, since it said it was at 0. Every run felt harder than normal and I was struggling to keep pace. Finally I put it to -3 and I was still going uphill so I knew something was wrong. I zeroed it out by putting the incline to maximum and then back to zero. That took care of the problem. I haven't had that issue since.