Beginners and Beyond

Glucosamine (CosaminASU).....Let's get all controversial up in here.... (Read 88 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ok, so inspired by a few things I'm looking into this Glucosamine stuff.  Last I heard, I even think somebody said it was bad for you???  (Not sure)

But anyway, after leaving the Orthopedic doc yesterday, I was trying to pin him down for information and as doctors can be, he was very, "You're fine, MRI's fine, take it easy, stretch more, cross-train & have a nice life."

So I asked him various questions just to keep him in the room.  He didn't have much to say about any future joint problems, except he handed me a brochure on CosaminASU.

He said, "I recommend it to almost every patient &, heck, I use it myself".

Everybody got their flame suit on??

And can we get about 10 different kinds of controversial up in here??

Asbestos/Cyanide tablets anyone?

P.S.  Mayo clinic going a bit of the vague route.  It "might" work.  It "might" not.  It "might" help this or that.  It "might" not.  "Some" call it snake oil.  "Some" don't.  It "might" affect blood sugar & insulin.  It "might" not.  But you should probably be afraid!

Randy

obiebyke

Eh, who knows. I will say that I hate when medical folks push supplements at me. That's a big reason why I'm against chiropractic. If they hand me a brochure for something or other, my hackles go up. Don't sell me stuff, provide me with care. End of story. Let me guess--CosaminASU isn't covered by insurance and you have to order it through your doc?

(And I don't predict a flame war, but I've been wrong in the past Wink )

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

GinnyinPA

I take glucosamine because I figure if it works for dogs and horses, who presumably aren't being affected by the mental aspect of it, it just might work for me.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I take glucosamine because I figure if it works for dogs and horses, who presumably aren't being affected by the mental aspect of it, it just might work for me.

Maybe they are and they just can't communicate it to us??  

(Waiting for why Brad quit taking it)

Randy

happylily

LTH said it was crap. So why are we even discussing this?

P.S. I take two a day. And I'm as solid as a horse, even though I should be a brittle-boned little old lady. I think it's proof enough that it works. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

There are mixed results on studies involving glucosamine.  There is some small amount of evidence that it can be beneficial in people who have an established diagnosis of osteoarthritis.  There is mostly negative information, meaning either the data was inconclusive or the stuff just outright didn't work, in people who do not have osteoarthritis or in those who were attempting to use it prophylactically to prevent joint injury/damage.

Overall, aside from individual n=1 anecdotes, and there are plenty of n=1 anecdotes out there, there really isn't enough solid, reputable science based information to support its use in a wide segment of the population.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

And literally as I walked into Costco today, there on the right edge where they shove their promo stuff in your face, was their supplements including 2 different kinds of Glucosamine.

Glucosamine w/ Chondroitin

and

Glucosamine w/ MSM

The Chondroitin seems to be related to arthritis benefits.  The MSM is just.....I dunno....for non-arthritic folks??

I might have grabbed 1 if there had been only 1 choice but with 2 choices, I figured I'll probably read some more.  Though I could probably by smaller bottles than Costco typically likes to give you if I'm gonna give it a test run, eh?

(shrug)

Randy

PADRunner

There are mixed results on studies involving glucosamine.  There is some small amount of evidence that it can be beneficial in people who have an established diagnosis of osteoarthritis.  There is mostly negative information, meaning either the data was inconclusive or the stuff just outright didn't work, in people who do not have osteoarthritis or in those who were attempting to use it prophylactically to prevent joint injury/damage.

Overall, aside from individual n=1 anecdotes, and there are plenty of n=1 anecdotes out there, there really isn't enough solid, reputable science based information to support its use in a wide segment of the population.

As someone who has been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and taking it for  few months; inconclusive, but it can't hurt.

No more marathons

LTH said it was crap. So why are we even discussing this? 

That's right.  HE has spoken.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

...but it can't hurt.

Well, yeah.  It can.

Glucosamine has a number of potential side effects not including the price.  They include:

asthma

cataracts

constipation

diarrhea

digestion problems

drowsiness

elevated blood glucose (if one happens to be diabetic)

headache

dyspepsia

hyperinsulinemia

insomnia

nausea

skin reactions

somnoloence

There's also a long list of potential medication interactions.

Randomly taking supplements is seldom a good thing.  A thorough conversation with your health care provider should be had before taking any supplement.  This is especially true as most supplements are not regulated by the FDA and there is often very little to back up the claims put forth by supplement manufacturers.  Also, there have been several studies/stories recently regarding the inconsistent content of the active ingredient in a variety of supplements.  Actual content is not always accurately reflected on the label.  So are you really getting what you're paying for?

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Zelanie

My dog was in a study on the effectiveness of glucosamine in dogs recovering from knee surgery (TPLO).  She ate "veterinary diet A", which may or may not have had glucosamine in it, for 6 months.  She also wore an activity monitor for that time.  Then, she regularly went in and they had her stand on pressure plates to measure how much weight she was putting on her leg, and they took samples of her joint fluid to see how much glucosamine was actually getting to the joint.

Last I heard, they are just signing up their last dog now, so in about 6 months they will be done collecting data and getting closer to publishing.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Pretty much what Cookie said is my thoughts. but I would expand with three n=1 anecdotes.

My mother uses it (she has osteo arthritis) and there is a noticeable improvement in joint mobility.

My grandmother uses it (also with osteo) and got no benefit, indeed her situation got worse.

I use it (with no diagnosed osteo) for 2-3 months, and saw no benefit so discontinued taking it.

I think the key difference between my mother and grandmother is the amount of exercising they were doing, my grandmother avoided her PT exercises as they hurt, and rapidly lost joint mobility. My mother is diligent in her PT.

Now was the improvement down to the glucosamine (where there is limited evidence) or the PT (where there is a whole lot of evidence) or both ?

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

tracilynn

my neighbor swears by it. I tried some and it KILLED my stomach.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Zelanie. That's pretty cool!

~~~~~~~

Traci

From the Internet.

http://examine.com/supplements/Glucosamine/

TL;DR: It has some positive effects in people suffering from osteoarthritis when taken consistently for a long time, but not all arthritis sufferers will get relief from it. No point in taking it at all if you don't have osteoarthritis.