Beginners and Beyond

Pity party (Read 102 times)

StepbyStep-SH

The most frustrating part of not being able to run right now?
    Missing out on the chance to leave tracks in the new snow under a big, bright moon tomorrow morning. Laps in the pool won't even come close.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Hip Redux

Sad  I'm sorry.   Have you met with the surgeon?  What's the next step?

StepbyStep-SH

Sad  I'm sorry.   Have you met with the surgeon?  What's the next step?

Got a call from Mayo today; they are having the surgeon look at the MRI scans, then will call me for a consult. I have lots of questions before deciding yes/no to surgery.

LRB

Missing out on the chance to leave tracks in the new snow under a big, bright moon tomorrow morning.

I would actually celebrate missing out on that, but I understand what you mean. Sorry to hear it.

It sounds odd but for me, the thing I miss most when I am not running is breaking out in a light sweat running in temps around 40 degrees.

You are in good company though because most of us have had an extended stay on the bench, some more than others.

onemile

I would actually celebrate missing out on that, but I understand what you mean. Sorry to hear it.

+1

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hang in there, Shari.    I hope the surgeon can at least give you a clear cut answer on what you should do.

Running is dumb.

outoftheblue

I'm sorry you are going thru this ((hugs)).

Life is good.

StepbyStep-SH

Consult next Tuesday. Then ...??

Hip Redux

Consult next Tuesday. Then ...??

One step at a time.  Bring a good list of questions Smile

StepbyStep-SH

One step at a time.  Bring a good list of questions Smile

If you can think of ones I should include, shoot 'em at me.

Hip Redux

If you can think of ones I should include, shoot 'em at me.

This is from a hip forum I am on, but some of the questions are good standard "surgery" type ones:

What is your experience doing this type of surgery, and how many have you performed? Approximately how many of these surgeries do you perform each year? 
                        Are you fellowship trained? Are you Board Certified?
                        What are my conservative treatment options?  What are their success rates?  What percentage of folks need surgery at a later date after taking a conservative approach first?
                        What specifically will you do in surgery (what are the specific procedures you’ll be doing on me)?
                        What type of complications have you experienced during surgery with other patients?
                        What is the success rate of the surgeries that you have performed? And what do you consider “success”?  Do you track the results of all of your patients?  If so, for how long now?
                        What percent chance do I have of being 100%, 90%, etc. after this surgery? Or: What amount of pain relief can I expect from the surgery?
                        How many of your patients have needed further surgery? After how much time?  What kind of further surgeries?
                        Are you expecting that his surgery will be the “one and only” surgery for me for this problem, or is it just to “buy me time” and alleviate my pain until a later date?
                        If the latter, how much time do you expect it to buy me, and what type of surgery would the next one be? 

StepbyStep-SH

Awesome, Oski! (Which, BTW, would be a great name for you: The Awesome Oski.)

Thank you!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Missing out on the chance to leave tracks in the new snow under a big, bright moon tomorrow morning. Laps in the pool won't even come close.

well..you  could pee in the pool and leave yellow tracks....

Seriously, Shari, hope you get this resolved very soon!  My heart goes out to you for having to deal with all this.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

Awesome, Oski! (Which, BTW, would be a great name for you: The Awesome Oski.)

True, and she knows this already.

Hang in there, Step.  Many of us have spent extended periods of time on the DL and certainly understand what you are going through.  I do find it interesting that you are allowed to swim.  My doc told me absolutely no swimming until my knee fully healed.  I was biking and using the elliptical long before I was allowed to swim (not that I swim anyway).  

<3

Docket_Rocket

Sorry to hear this.  Hope you come back from it quickly.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page