Beginners and Beyond

Hey Penguins, it's Monday again! (Read 223 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! 

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) 

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Not much going on for me. Yesterday I figured since I can't run I'll see what is needed for biking in the winter. So the newish shopping center/strip mall has a Performance Bike store there. I got there at 6pm. They were the only store there that closed at 5pm. Back home I planked and Thera-banded and stretched.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Sorry about the store being closed! We run into that problem with our local bike shop! They are o my open when we are working, they close at 5 during the week. Hopefully you will make it soon! Do you cycle outdoors in the winter too. All the good bike trails get overrun by cross country skiers here! Afm- RD today, and unfortunately it is going to be a crappy running week ahead. I have to fly to Philly and back for work tomorrow so no running then either. I am hoping I can run Wednesday and Thursday, but I have to go into work early Friday. And then Saturday we are picking my sister in law up from the airport and she is staying for 2 weeks for Christmas! I will have to prioritize my time until after Christmas when things will calm down and get back to normal! Oh well Merry Christmas!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Bin Running

Gustav, Sorry abt the shop close.. Are you coming back from an injuries? The Gangnam ankle?

Kristi, Enjoy the RD.. Looks like a bz weeks for you.. But it's Christmas... so enjoy..

Was to run 3-4M this morning but DS was having fever again.. 39+ Pretty worried and we had some panadol to give him.... DW and myself was so panicky abt this and we under dose DS.. 5ml was the correct dosage but we only gave 0.5 using the syringe.. Only realised the wrong dosage at 5am.. and his fever finally dropped after that... So sorry to him that Daddy can't even read measurement properly.. Will try to squeeze in 3M before dinner later..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Cycling in the winter sounds awesome, but I don't know where I'd go around my house.  I can't think of a place I could go that would feel safe once there was snow on the ground.  I'm sure there are people that do it though, and know where to do it.

Kristi - Your schedule sounds brutal, but it is for Christmas.  Christmas is pretty awesome.  Hooray!

Bin - Sorry to hear about that.  I hope he's feeling better soon. 

AFM - We went out and cut the biggest Christmas tree that we could fit in the house.  It's a bit overwhelming, but I can't wait to get some decorations on it. 

I kept my streak alive, and my legs are feeling stronger and stronger.  When I first started it, I was feeling pretty beat up from lack of rest days.  I think my body is adjusting nicely.  My fiance has gotten much more consistent as well.  She's running for 30 minutes 4 times a week, but only back to back days on the weekends.  Those back to back days still kick her butt a little, and you can see it in her paces.  At the same time, she's starting to get the urge to run every day.  I've been holding her back a bit on that.  I ran half of my run with her yesterday, and I think that after this week she might be ready to increase her mileage a bit.  I'm thinking that she can add 10 minutes to 2-3 of those days, but the second day of her back-to-back days should probably stay the same for now.  I know she's itching to up her pace.  Maybe she could do some strides on one of the shorter days.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Thanks, awood. You had became your fiancé coach. You have become stronger and it'll show in your next race. I think running around decorating the house helps too. Smile

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Gustav, Kristi, Bin and AW and Penguins.  SRD, but going to HC for some strength machines.

Have a Fit Week !!!

Jerry

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

I had a good weekend of running -- did an 8.5 mile LR on Saturday and followed up with 5+ yesterday.  SRD today.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins! Hope you all had a good weekend, if I get time today I will try to skim through the Saturday and Sunday Penguin threads to see what you were all up to. I was visiting my boyfriend, who lives 3.5 hours away this weekend. Since we don't get to spend a ton of time together, usually we try to make up for it when we get to see each other and try to stay off the internet, ect. so I haven't been on here, facebook, returning emails, ect.

Gustav- sorry the bike store was closed. Hope you get there soon!

Kristi- Hang in there during your busy week! Sometimes life gets in the way of running, it happens, and the holidays may be particularly difficult. If you can squeeze a few in just not to lose fitness great! When do you start training for your half?

Bin- So sorry about your son! Hope he feels better soon!

Awood- it's great that your fiance is progressing with her running. You should send her on here!

AFM- today is a SRD for me. I almost skipped running this weekend entirely, too, but I got myself out there. My boyfriend doesn't run, so it's sometimes challenging for me to fit in runs during our weekends together (since, as mentioned, we always try to maximize our time together), but I have always managed to get runs in while I visited him/he visited me since I started running....but since it was a rainy weekend it was particularly hard to motivate myself to leave him home and get out there. Yesterday I took his dog running with me, this is the second time I've done that...it is difficult to run with her at first because the first mile or so she pulls a lot on the leash, gets really distracted and tries to chase squirrels, dogs, bikes, ect., but once she calms down a bit it is fun running with her. I headed out with no mileage goal in mind....I have my first 10K next weekend and finished my training program a week early, so for my last "bonus week" I'm trying to run very easy, and relatively low mileage as kind of a taper. I decided that I would run as far as I felt good doing and not push myself. Since running with the dog wasn't super easy and she definitely pushed my pace a bit, and my boyfriend's area is particularly hilly, I decided to cut it off at 3 miles...I was getting tired and wanted to finish feeling strong and good.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Jerry- Enjoy the strength session

Phillie- great job on the LR this weekend. I forget, are you training for something right now?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Off to the asthma doctor.  As soon as she hear about Vegas, I fear for my me.  Please make sure I'm alive after the appointment. Joking

I'll be running some tonight, and if I can, do weights and core too.

Gustav, sorry about the store.

Kristi, enjoy your rest day.

bin running, hope your DD feels better, poor baby.

awood, congrats on keeping the streak alive.

Jerry, enjoy the rest.

Philliefan, nice weekend of running indeed.  Enjoy the well deserved rest.

kristin, enjoy the rest.

Gotta go!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Just quickly started skimming through the weekend Penguin threads before work and I see Dtothe2 randomly ran a marathon distance unplanned this weekend, and did it in 3:32: xx?!?!?! Wow!!! Great job! And yes, your sanity is in question lol..... are you going to do a marathon for real soon?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Monday Penguins!  Brrr, it is COLD today in San Antoni, we are having chilly temps for the next few days. Right now it is 44 degrees with a wind blowing at 22 mph making it feel more like 34.  Tomorrow's low will be 34 and Wed it will be 37.  Then Thursday we go back up into the 60s, thank goodness.  30s and 40s are cold for we South Texans!

I did race #71 on Saturday morning.  The report is on the forum here somewhere.  Here is the link, if you haven't already seen the report.  This was a holiday run and I think I posted about 80 photos, lol.   Is there a record for number of photos in one race report?  I think I may have that locked.    Wink

http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners#plckforumpage=ForumDiscussion&plckdiscussionid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477Discussion%3A03499f23-ec1e-43e2-b2fe-8ed3c04d3113

Did I miss something, Gustav?  Why can't you run? Good luck with the bike hunt.

Kristi, you're probably going to have to get up at 4 a.m. for a while to get your run in while everyone is sleeping! Joking  Enjoy the family visit and safe trip for your work.

Hope your little one feels better, Bin!

Congrats on your streak, awood, and good luck to your fiancee with her running.

Happy SRD, Jerry.  Yes, I am doing the Shiner 5K.  Both the 5K and the Half sold out.  I waited too long to get a place to stay, so it will be up EARLY for me to drive to Shiner.  Luckily, it's only about an 80 minute drive.  Should be a nice opportunity to take lots of photos.  And have some great beer post-race too.

Congrats on the nice running for you, Margo.

Nice run with the dog, Kristin.   Don't fight the dog on chasing the squirrels...let her go for it and you go chase them with her, it's fun! Big grin  I love running with a dog whenever I can.

Yeah, good luck with the doc, Damaris, I can relate, lol.  My doc gets real annoyed with me when I don't behave, like don't do my weight training for my back.....and, after I did 73 races last year, she told me to cut back on that this year, maybe do only 3 - 4 a month, or about 50 races. Ummm, I'm already at 71 this year!  I feel good, which will make her happy, I'm sure, but I know she is going to give me the 'lecture' on the wear-and-tear toll this is taking on me, with my arthritis, etc, and how I will eventually pay for this in the future, and so forth, and  Bad dog, bad dog!  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Good morning friends,

Gustav- That sucks about the bike store. It seems like most of the places here in town are very similar to that. Except places here open late, take long lunches, and close early.

Kristi RTT- I have learned that too much family time makes me want to go run and then reward my self with beers.

Bin- sorry about your boy. Take care of that little guy. Kids are way more important than running. I hope he gets better soon.

Awood- great job on the streak, getting stronger, and sharing your running with your fiance.

Jerry- enjoy the health club.

Phillie- 13.5 miles in the weekend is pretty good. WTG. keep up the good work.

Kristin- good job making time for you and your running.

Damaris- "bad @$$"- good luck with the Dr. hopefully she wont beat you.  I see in the signature a 5 mile run. I assume you will run 5 to warm up, then race the 5 miles, and then 5 miles to cool down....just to get a workout in Big grin

Scotty- then went down here was brutal this morning. I am glad I wimped out and put a hoodie on Smile

AFM- I got in 16.7 yesterday and 4 this am. The 4 recovery was good half of the time. A cold front was blowing in as I was out there this am. The wind seemed to be about 25-30 MPH. The first half of my run was directly into the wind. This was fun because I felt like an ass kicker for being out there. The second half was fun because I felt fast.

This weekend the high school that I work at had our 27 game win streak snapped. It was a tough loss for the kids and the community. We dont lose very often. This is only the 2nd loss in the 3 years that I have worked at the school. That means that basketball season is starting Sad

Make today Great

Tomas

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

His Slowness

Happy Monday Penguins.

Gustav - thanks for getting us started.  I can't figure out why folks close so early.  Open later and stay open so folks that work can come shop.

Kristi - sounds like a busy few weeks coming up.  Good luck.

Bin - fever is really tough on little ones.  Mine would all just get lifeless with just a little fever.

Awood - you sir, are a machind!

Jerry - enjoy the workout on the machines.

Philliefan - sounds like a good weekend.

Kristin - glad you had a good weekend.

Damaris - good luch with the Doc.  I have  an appointment tomorrow and I hope he's happy.

Scotty - 71?  I am in awe!

Tomas - sorry about the loss but it sounds like you had a good weekend of running.

I did my 3 last night since we had storms forcast for this morning.  If I can pick up the pace a little I should reach glacial!  Beats sitting on the couch.

Bill