Beginners and Beyond

Hey Penguins, it's Monday again! (Read 223 times)

Bin Running

Thanks guys. DS is better now. Reading "Jack and the beanstalk" to him now. Tomas, had to agreed that nothing is more important than him.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Morning!  Today is exercise class at work and then a run after.  I made up a lasagna last night so that all I have to do is throw it in the oven with the timed bake on when I get home, and it will be done when I get back from my run.  That should help the trying to figure out how to fit cooking and running into my schedule.

Awood- I know you've mentioned having trouble with moderation in the past.  Great job on the streak, but make sure to take some easy days in there, too!  Can't wait to see pics of the tree.

Kristin- What a treat to have an extra week before your race!  And running with the dog does take practice.  I still only take my two about once a week.

Bill- Good to see you again!

Everyone else, have a great day!

hog4life

Bin, sorry to hear about DS, hope he's okay. High fever can be very bad if it's not tended to, I'm glad his fever broke.. I'm starting my plan today, and it calls for 6 x 800's at 5k-10k pace with 1/4 rest intervals. It's currently raining so I'm gonna wait for a bit to see if it stops. I'm also starting 3rd shift tonight.
        Bin Running

Mitch, boo for 3rd shift. Hope it won't derail you from training. Are you doing Ryan hall? Curious how it will do to your Feb HM.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Wandering Wally

Happy Monday Penguins!

Rest day for me today.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

SheCan

Hi Penguins!  Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Gustav-- good job getting those workouts in every day.  Its hard to keep up the motivation when you can't run sometimes.  You're doing great.

Btothe2nd-- I know I'm late saying so, but wowsers @ you doing that marathon distance on your own and doing it so quickly!  That was very impressive.  Whatcha doing in penguins again?  ;-) just kidding, glad you're here even if you're a fast penguin!

KristyRTT-- 2 weeks with your sister for Christmas sounds wonderful!  

Bin Running-  I'm sorry your son is so ill.  Glad he's doing better for now.  Take good care of the little one.

Docket_rocket-  good luck at the doctors.  Just remember no matter what the doctor says, it's your life and your choices, though I do hope your lungs are clearing up after the LV race.

Scotty-- congratulations on another race.  I'll check out your report soon.  Yes, I'm in Arizona.  I'm thinking either the Mesa turkey trot or the 10k associated with the Phoenix Marathon in March are the biggest 10ks around.  But if you ever come this way, please give me a holler!  

T-Rod-  sorry about your school breaking their winning streak.  Although that's a tough break, it was indeed an impressive streak.

Tracylynn and Zelanie, thank you for the good wishes on my Half race yesterday.  I did alright.  I ended up with a Half PR of 2:02:26.  I'd have loved to get under 2hrs, but if it never happens, I'll be alright with that. We did end up having a fun, but cold time!  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

tracilynn

Cherie, great time for your HM! I would be BEYOND thrilled with that. I will be lucky to run sub 2:30 ha. Rest day for me today and thank GOD because it is so nasty out. Rainy windy and temp is dropping all day. I'm still running 2 days in a row and 1 day off which works out to be 5x a week most weeks. It's working well for me. Bin, glad your lil boy is better. I'm on the iPhone so it jumbles all this together even though I put paragraphs in sorry about that. Take care penguins :-)

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Cherie, congrats on you HM! Sounds like you did great! And I bet that sub-2 is out there for you next time!
                  Philliefan33

Cherie -- congrats on the HM time!  2:02 sounds really fast to me, and is much faster than Penguin status. (But we won't kick you out Smile)

Someone upthread  (Kristi??) asked if I'm training for anything in particular.  The answer is "sorta".  I've signed up for my first HM at the end of April 2013.  I'm working on building my mileage up to 30 miles/week with LRs in the 9-10 mile range, and I'm getting close.  Towards the end of January I'll have to decide how to spend the last twelve weeks leading up to the race.  One option is, of course, using one of the many HM plans available.  Another option would be to develop my own plan. 

I'm leaning towards coming up with my own plan to build mileage and get my LR up to the 12-13 mile range before race time, at the expense of speed training.  My goal for this first HM will be to finish in 2:30 - 2:40,  this should be doable since my LRs are in the 11:30 -12:00 min/mile range now.  I mostly want to make sure that my body is strong enough for the distance, so mileage seems more important than speed.  If I like my first HM, I can worry about a faster finish for my second HM.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry your team did not get to State, Tomas!   Good luck to the kids with their basketball season.  Well, if it will make you feel better, an item has now been ordered and you should get it in the next couple of weeks.  Hopefully sooner. 

Glad your little one is feeling better, Bin. 

Mmmm, lasagna...I'm going to Zelanie's house for dinner.  Wink   Hmm, fit running and cooking into your schedule...well, you just eat MREs (Meals Ready to Eat)  like the deployed military folks do.  Very easy and quick to fix and they are soooooo tasty!   Roll eyes  Just ask any military person!

OK, Mitch, just what are the hours for 3rd shift?  Sounds like a nasty shift where it will totally screw up your body clock. So glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.  Good luck!

Happy Rest Day, Trail Hippy!

Wow, way to on on your half and the PR, SheCan! I bet you will break 2 hours eventually, no doubt in my mind.  Mesa?  Where is that?  I get these images of a lonely, high, flat plain...with Coyote chasing The Roadrunner, lol.

Glad your running program is working for you, Traci.  Enjoy the rest day, sounds like a good day to take it with that weather you described.

If I can pick up the pace a little I should reach glacial!  lol, yer funny, Bill.  At least you are out there moving, that's a good thing.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Morning!  Today is exercise class at work and then a run after.  I made up a lasagna last night so that all I have to do is throw it in the oven with the timed bake on when I get home, and it will be done when I get back from my run.  That should help the trying to figure out how to fit cooking and running into my schedule.

Awood- I know you've mentioned having trouble with moderation in the past.  Great job on the streak, but make sure to take some easy days in there, too!  Can't wait to see pics of the tree.

Kristin- What a treat to have an extra week before your race!  And running with the dog does take practice.  I still only take my two about once a week.

Bill- Good to see you again!

Everyone else, have a great day!

You remember that?  I didn't even think about it.  Thanks for the reality check.  I'll keep it in mind.  I was just plotting this morning about how to get in another 10 miles per week.  Undecided  I'll stay around 40 a bit longer, and try to keep my next increase moderate.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

I'm on the phone so this will all get bunched up. Bin..... Yes I will use RH plan. Scotty..... Hours are 10:00 pm - 6:00 am. Traci..... If I can run outside in this crap, so can you, ha.

SheCan

Thanks everyone on the congrats!  And you girls (Zelanie, Phillefan, tracylynn) will be outrunning me soon once you got some miles on your legs.  *hugs!!!!*

Zelanie, I'm with Scotty, I'd love to have some of that lasagna with you.  Smart thinking to do it ahead of time.

Wow, way to on on your half and the PR, SheCan! I bet you will break 2 hours eventually, no doubt in my mind.  Mesa?  Where is that?  I get these images of a lonely, high, flat plain...with Coyote chasing The Roadrunner, lol.

Well Scotty, Mesa thinks it is it's own town, but basically its just a part of the whole Phoenix metro conglomerate.  Unless you know the area, you can't really tell where one city ends and the next one starts.  Only reason i know is that I used to live in Mesa.  Now I live down in southern Arizona where the coyotes and the road runners really hang out. Wink

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Hey Penguins!

Glad to see everyone is doing well and those of you who are streaking (hee hee) are still keepin' on.

I ended up feeling fine yesterday so did a double - 5 in the am and 5 in the pm.   I'm on call today so would like to do at least 5 tonight but we'll see! 

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey, Penguins!!  Wow, it's been a busy day here!  I had a proposal defense this morning, then a seminar, and I'm fixing to have journal club.  Obviously I'm not getting much done today, oh well.  Some days are more administrative than others.  I finished W1 of C25k on Saturday, Week 2 starts tonight!  I'm not pushing it at all -- DH is focusing more on speed, but I am just getting the time in and letting myself settle back in the groove.  It's all good.

Did some baking this weekend -- double-chocolate chip cookies and shortbread cookies!  You know it's Christmas when the cookies start coming ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.