Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Alamofest Half Marathon, 10K and 5K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me. At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another. Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos. I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.  And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos. Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

My 13th race done in 2016 was the Alamo Runfest 5K, held on Sunday, Feb 21st. This was my 2nd 5K of the weekend after doing the Street2Feet 5K on Saturday. Alamo Runfest included a half marathon – the primary event – and a 10K and 5K. All starting and finishing at the Alamodome in San Antonio. Title sponsor was H-E-B, a Fortune 500 grocery company headquartered in San Antonio. H-E-B is very involved in the communities in which it does business, sponsoring and supporting quite a few events and nonprofits. This is quite a popular local running event and had a really nice turn-out. Weather was cloudy/overcast, 60+ degrees at start time, with humidity at 95% or so, as rain is supposed to be moving into our area on thisThe half had 625 finishers, the 10K had 546 finishers, and the 5K had 648 finishers. I did the 5K, finishing in 33:14, 5th in my 60-64 age group and 214th overall.

The LONG version with all the photos is below.  If you'd rather skip my commentary and just see photos, you can view the slideshow of my photos here - http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports

BEFORE THE START

The races had staggered starts, with the half starting at 7:45, the 10K at 8:35, and the 5K at 8:50. Although the 5K was the last race to start, still had to get there early to park in the Alamodome Parking area. I arrived around 6:30 a.m. – so had about a 2-hour wait till my 5K start time, but put the time to good use by interacting with a lot of my fellow runners there and taking lots of photos.  There were quite a few of my fellow Team RWB (Red White and Blue; veteran's organization) members at this event, including those from the San Antonio chapter and some from Fort Hood in Killeen.

photo 001_zpscbablndx.jpg

photo 002_zpso1dlj6qt.jpg

photo 003_zpsrliczqx9.jpg

photo 004_zps2cr0s0x5.jpg

photo 006_zpsw58f9fdi.jpg

photo 007_zpsmtvtcspj.jpg

photo 008_zpsfpweycik.jpg

photo 009_zpsdsxrzjmd.jpg

photo 010_zpscwfa09d3.jpg

photo 011_zpskkmvmxel.jpg

photo 012_zpsgdbx052i.jpg

photo 013_zps08ijbzh6.jpg

photo 014_zpsrstmezmr.jpg

photo 015_zpsscvjrrd2.jpg

As my friend, Bob and I, walked to the main staging area for the start of the races, we encountered our speedy friend, Bernadette. I got a photo of her and Bob

photo 016_zpsu6u9wngg.jpg

In the starting area....

WHAT? They're going to start everyone right off with a hill?  Yep, that's what they did, lol.

photo 020_zpsbk1agpq1.jpg

photo 017_zpsrij9utge.jpg

photo 018_zpsktfvulud.jpg

photo 019_zpssia3bacn.jpg

photo 021_zps82iuah5h.jpg

photo 022_zpspld3s8rs.jpg

photo 023_zpsngfpiqsj.jpg

photo 025_zpsf1gcymzx.jpg

Half Marathoners lining up

photo 026_zpsdngqt7c4.jpg

photo 027_zpspeauz3pe.jpg

photo 028_zpss9vbqvch.jpg

photo 029_zpstzttnzvo.jpg

photo 030_zps9fn6mho2.jpg

photo 031_zpspz3rjdpb.jpg

photo 032_zpsvmmltec1.jpg

photo 034_zpsbjgmuglz.jpg

photo 035_zpstrive2jv.jpg

photo 036_zpsxkvyxns5.jpg

photo 037_zpslmzou6vi.jpg

Now time for the 10K folks...

photo 038_zpskaylubh2.jpg

Only the 5K folks left now...

photo 039_zpscu5psmjk.jpg

photo 041_zpstlk9axnu.jpg

Ahead of me...

photo 042_zpsr6dtcgcd.jpg

Behind me...

photo 043_zpsjs00kfgl.jpg

And we are off!  As I went over the start timing mat, I got a photo of these guy who shot off a volley with their period firearms to get each race going

photo 044_zpsyccivitc.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The half marathon participants went up to Joint Base San Antonio Fort Sam Houston and did a route through the installation – with the post General greeting participants and the Army Band playing for them – while the 5K and 10k folks got a nice tour of some of downtown San Antonio, passing in front of The Alamo. I found out later from some of the half participants that they did have a few hills, while we 5K and 10K folks had courses that were flat as a pancake, except for our immediate start and part of the finish. All race participants did come down very flat Austin Street, made short leg through part of Sunset Station area, and then we had to go up a long incline, then back into one of the Alamodome parking areas, left turn into a stadium tunnel and a loop around the stadium floor to the finish line. The Jumbotron was on too, displaying all the participants coming onto the stadium floor and crossing the finishing line.

A tad after a half-mile..passing by The Alamo

photo 045_zpshdcwfpss.jpg

On Alamo Street

photo 046_zpswg4ez4z0.jpg

photo 047_zpstuzyi0wb.jpg

photo 049_zpsjp68doyv.jpg

photo 050_zpsgyhyipcg.jpg

Heading to Austin Street under the highway 281/37 overpass

photo 051_zpsi24hkukh.jpg

Going down flat, flat, flat Austin Street heading back to The Alamodome.  When I got to this point some of the speedier half marathoners were there on Austin Street heading for the finish too.

photo 052_zpsakbxchkv.jpg

photo 053_zps47ejujce.jpg

photo 054_zpsazfmswly.jpg

There's one of those speedy half guys, on the right with the blue bib

photo 056_zpshvbq0w9g.jpg

photo 057_zpsqwzpbqbc.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Got some water and did a short cool-down walk. Then off to see what post-race goodies were being offered.....

Bagles...

photo 076_zpspmvfzdmy.jpg

Greek yogurt

photo 077_zpsouueswze.jpg

Various fruits and drinks...

photo 078_zpspwpvgmxi.jpg

photo 079_zpspodtgubc.jpg

Cookies!  I love cookies!

photo 080_zpsamtkuzoz.jpg

photo 081_zpsb2bjz3rr.jpg

HEB Creamy Sensations ladies...

photo 090_zpstlssadoi.jpg

Handing out free ice cream sandwiches...oh yeah....

photo 091_zpskn3c7vm8.jpg

That was all the free stuff...there were also several vendors on the stadium floor selling a variety of other merchandise and food and giving out a few free samples.

…and, of course, I was wandering around the whole time taking lots of photos of the “happy finishers’, vendors, volunteers, supporters, etc.

Runners on the Jumbotron

photo 064_zpshjtgkdoi.jpg

Selfie with me and my friend, Margaret.  I'm getting pretty good at taking these selfies with my "old school" Canon camera...even though I can't see the image on my canon, like you can when you do a phone selfie photo.

photo 062_zpsrly5pedl.jpg

photo 058_zpsajitoct6.jpg

photo 059_zpsxmmqehqi.jpg

photo 060_zpsj9jubcyv.jpg

photo 061_zps62lr6w7n.jpg

photo 063_zpsvten2mme.jpg

photo 065_zpskfrzo1e1.jpg

photo 066_zpscdmtkbe7.jpg

photo 067_zpsoxkfkjsr.jpg

photo 068_zpsfna0zwbl.jpg

photo 069_zpsoldmuedj.jpg

photo 070_zpsbiuszm3t.jpg

photo 071_zpskpztltp8.jpg

photo 072_zps21z2bbjg.jpg

photo 073_zpsq5boi3mc.jpg

Wow, these guys took their lives in their hands handing me a weapon...  I was in the Air Force 24 years, shot the M-16 maybe 4 times in that whole time..and still can't hit the broad side of a barn, even if it was right next to me, lol.

photo 074_zpspaqmhf1c.jpg

photo 075_zpsyvmnacrl.jpg

photo 084_zpsn87yeduw.jpg

photo 082_zpsbhz1eg9k.jpg

photo 083_zpsnqbb9ufe.jpg

photo 085_zpsakgfaaja.jpg

photo 088_zpsgw5sp6l1.jpg

photo 086_zpslchwitwt.jpg

Half marathon pacers

photo 087_zpsnwz4xizn.jpg

photo 089_zps3enecs0m.jpg

photo 092_zpsr1fd4vrg.jpg

Every finisher got a finisher medal for the respective race he/she did.  So these parents each got a finisher medal. I felt bad for the little guy that he didn't have one, so I gave him mine, so all the family would have one. 

photo 093_zps4ynjgdat.jpg

photo 094_zpseur0ovt1.jpg

photo 095_zps44i3sy2k.jpg

photo 096_zps69cru1y2.jpg

My lovely friend, Michelle here, PRed in her half

photo 097_zps53xg1ssa.jpg

photo 098_zpsgplrts43.jpg

photo 099_zpsb1ly8hmj.jpg

photo 101_zpsjggszkih.jpg

photo 102_zpsq2f1zwau.jpg

Me and Bernadette with Mitch Allen of iRun Texas, a great local running store and race management company.  I do several of his races over the year.

photo 103_zpsia39fjt8.jpg

photo 104_zpsm4p5ma7v.jpg

photo 105_zpsgqvsv7ws.jpg

photo 106_zpsdj8dtoju.jpg

My speedy pal, Lisa

photo 108_zpsb3enlpgy.jpg

photo 109_zpshxafwlyv.jpg

My friend Mark Purnell doing the awards ceremony.  He's so good at it he can do it with his eyes closed. 

photo 110_zpsxbzsijve.jpg

My favorite running lady, Bernadette, placed in her age group.

photo 111_zpss61bt5pa.jpg

EPILOGUE

Great event! Well organized, nicely thought-out courses done by iRun Texas – who also did the timing and the results, so thanks Mitch Allen and crew for doing that for us – lots of post-race vendors if you wanted to pick up some goodies while you were there, and lots of good stuff to munch on. This is the 2nd time I’ve done this event and I am certain I will be doing it again in the future.

Mucho thanks to Title Sponsor H-EB and to all the volunteers, other sponsors, law enforcement, etc, who were all out there for us participants today; all those folks that made this one happen for all the participants. You did great for us!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt