Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: UTSA Diploma Dash 5K (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO and SHORT REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 16th race of 2015, held on April 4, 2015 at the campus of the University of Texas at San Antonio. The Diploma Dash is put on each year by the Alumni Association of UTSA - where I work - and helps raise scholarship funds.  We had a 'cool front' blow in on Friday night, so temperature around the 8 a.m. start time was about 59 to 61 degrees with a really stiff wind blowing, and lots of cloud cover.  So, except for the wind, a pretty perfect day for running.   Lots of participants; I don't know how many ended up being registered but I know there were over 1,000, and probably more than that. This race was also dog-friendly and the speediest dogs with their runners even got awards.  I ended up with a chip time of 32:17, not even close, lol, to the speedy top 3 finishers in my 60 -64 age group.  Which is okay, I never expect to get a medal anyway, and I had a lot of fun.

LONG REPORT WITH PHOTOS

I am not a great photographer - and I think my camera, after several years, is on its last ride - so apologies if the photos are not crystal clear, but they can still be seen fairly well.  And hey, at least they are free, if you want to save any of them to your own files or to share, etc.

Before the Start

I arrived with about 40 minutes to go to start time.   The run started and finished in front of the Convocation Center, which is used for our basketball, volleyball, and other athletic events, as well as for other functions and the center also has various athletics offices, etc.

photo 004_zpsj5bhveuk.jpg

Lots of vendors already set up by the time I got there.  The area in front of the Convo is nice and roomy for lots of activity.

photo 007_zpsr6dwjavx.jpg

C'est moi!  Your host for this report - decked out in the UTSA colors of orange-and-blue, right down to my socks and laces, lol -  with friend from Soler Sports, a very good local running store and events company.

photo 016_zps4cexgk8k.jpg

He and his wife

photo 017_zpsjlydmesq.jpg

Popeye's Chicken

photo 001_zpsaner7zzg.jpg

Some of my fellow club members of the San Antonio RoadRunners, the largest and oldest running club in San Antonio

photo 002_zpszil1e2wh.jpg

Some of the participants, supporters, volunteers, etc.  before the start.

photo 005_zpsbqkfv9p7.jpg

These two participants are wearing the tech-tee race shirts participants got

photo 008_zpsgn5tkyz9.jpg

Part of the "Spirit of San Antonio" UTSA band was out there to support the participants

photo 009_zpsulhdd29l.jpg

Yeah, little doggie, that's my best side too for a photo...

photo 010_zpsnhuqspfb.jpg

photo 011_zps11bl2f3m.jpg

photo 012_zpsj1l13xqm.jpg

My friend and one of my supervisors, Lucy, with her son

photo 013_zpsrrploxat.jpg

photo 015_zpsmcqzredq.jpg

At the start area...

photo 018_zpsyyriowtm.jpg

photo 019_zpsgevkai4g.jpg

photo 020_zpss6l7hjh1.jpg

photo 021_zpsxjeb26wr.jpg

My pal, Abby, with her human.  Abby loves to run, I see her at a few races over the year, but had not seen her for a while until today, as her human was recovering from an injury.  She was very excited to be back.   So excited, she ended up being 3rd place dog.

photo 022_zpsbfyexsbr.jpg

On the Course

The course was a wide loop around the campus that took us up a few hills, through one of the tunnels that go under a couple of the campus buildings, past our university athletic/recreation center, and on back to the Convocation Center.  The route gives you a nice little tour of the campus.   I run quite a bit on the campus so am quite familiar with the roads on the route and knew what to expect - the hills coming at certain points; and, really, they are not hills that are all that long or big;  - and was prepared.   I don't think some people were, from some of the comments I heard around me when we were on the hills, lol.  For the most part where I was on the course at any given time, the majority of folks seemed to be enjoying themselves, and taking it all in stride - no pun intended. 

On the way to Mile 1.....now you 'real winter people' reading this who still have snow...please don't start crying when you see all our green grass... 

photo 023_zpsloa6limq.jpg

photo 024_zpsp3w2cyjn.jpg

photo 025_zpsemse1l8g.jpg

photo 026_zpshuegepvn.jpg

photo 027_zpseoewih8x.jpg

On the way to Mile 2....

photo 028_zpsmnv56bxq.jpg

photo 029_zpstmesclni.jpg

photo 030_zpsbpwvqkvu.jpg

After those last photos, I tucked the camera away and ran the last 1.3 miles into the finish nonstop.  Did a small cool-down walk..and then it was time for beer and post-race photos!

After the Finish

My first stop...yeah, beer!

photo 041_zpsca4epi62.jpg

Served up by these lovely ladies

photo 006_zpspabijgon.jpg

Breakfast tacos from the very popular-in-Texas restaurant Whataburger.  Yeah, I had one...or two...

photo 014_zpsbk0terj6.jpg

Ronald McDonald helping at the McDonald's treats tent

photo 042_zpsxlm9caab.jpg

Local eatery Pollo Chicken was giving out beans-and-rice and chicken with various sauces

photo 043_zpsnb0h8lh0.jpg

There was quite a long line for the give-away of these Minute Rice cartons....probably very convenient for students on a budget and for in-between-classes time

photo 048_zps13rtiyhi.jpg

Lots of these around filled with water bottles and various types of soda.  Also, I saw a few of the doggies post-race lapping up some of the nice cold water, very convenient for them.

photo 051_zpsjlshcaqu.jpg

"Happy Finishers", volunteers, supporter, etc...

photo 032_zpstg1rx3j6.jpg

photo 033_zpsbesyjrxj.jpg

photo 034_zpsls9acuhp.jpg

photo 035_zpsgo0blui1.jpg

photo 036_zpsjjv4pwft.jpg

photo 037_zps6tyorwtu.jpg

photo 038_zpsgtqecnw0.jpg

photo 039_zpsmpjy3col.jpg

This was, if I remember correctly, 2nd place dog, with his human

photo 040_zpsge1ewjhr.jpg

Our university mascot Rowdy Roadrunner

photo 044_zpsbukltb9i.jpg

photo 045_zps652pahwk.jpg

Superman had the day off today, so his wife ran

photo 046_zpswva9wqbe.jpg

photo 047_zpsmv3vv5af.jpg

photo 049_zps6kclfivh.jpg

photo 050_zpsucvz14pk.jpg

photo 052_zpslf6ygy3d.jpg

photo 060_zps81eeyty9.jpg

My co-worker and friend, Benga, and his lovely wife...

photo 061_zpswzz2dlhs.jpg

photo 062_zpswoxzvzin.jpg

photo 063_zpsdrplvfsz.jpg

Me and one of my bosses and friend and fellow cancer survivor - twice! - Laura, one of the nicest people ever....and, no, I'm not saying that just because she's my boss..

photo 064_zpsqpx0mhck.jpg

First place doggie and his human!

photo 065_zpszapfgd5j.jpg

photo 066_zpsvtaz8p4d.jpg

photo 067_zpsebjchmcz.jpg

A few of the beautiful people from the Alumni Association that puts on this event

photo 068_zpsm7ggtkh5.jpg

I think Abby is more interested in that apple than getting her photo taken, lol.

photo 069_zps3tx3hfwb.jpg

photo 070_zpshinbu0qq.jpg

My co-worker Brittney, who did the event with her kids.   Darn, where was she with that stroller when I needed a ride at about the last 1/2 mile... 

photo 071_zpsigc0udlv.jpg

photo 072_zps0zscpdt4.jpg

photo 073_zpslbflr48r.jpg

photo 074_zpswhllqs0n.jpg

photo 075_zps49e3ruvr.jpg

photo 076_zpsfk7tt7cd.jpg

photo 077_zps2pjkqfaa.jpg

Other goodies, served up by these good folks...

photo 054_zpsfavjhytx.jpg

photo 059_zpsnzknfhk9.jpg

photo 055_zpske2oyrig.jpg

photo 056_zps36pdgrsl.jpg

photo 057_zpspteofgy6.jpg

photo 058_zps5omd9vfp.jpg

EPILOG

I have not done every Diploma Dash 5K, but I have done a lot of them.  This is a really good quality event with a great course  - even with the hills   - nice 'race atmosphere', lots of friendly folks all around, lots of activities going on all about you, and lots and lots and lots of post-race goodies. Very nice tech tee race shirt too.  Locally, this is one of the best 5Ks during the year that you can do.  Definitely worthwhile to put it onto your race calendar, you will not regret it at all.   See you here next year!

Next up for me: Luchenback Texas 5K on April 11.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Nice that the event gets such a good turnout.  I imagine the nice weather helped.

LRB

On the way to Mile 1.....now you 'real winter people' reading this who still have snow...please don't start crying when you see all our green grass... 

Yeah our grass is still browner than shit, literally. lol

LRB

Thanks Scotty! Who cares about the photo quality, that's a lot of hard work putting these things together!

Zelanie

Wow, that is a huge turnout for that race!  Looks like a great day for it too.