Beginners and Beyond

RR - Mitten Run 5K, where I finally broke that pesky year old PR (Read 311 times)

Incredible!   I cannot believe that you had the energy to raise your hands in victory at the end.  Congrats on an amazing time!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hell yeah Baboon!  Keep on bein' awesome.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

runmomto3boys

Congratulations, Phil, on crushing your PR!  What a year you've had.  This is just too perfect of an ending.  I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store for you.  You have many more PRs in your future, no doubt!!!

LRB

Outstanding!   You have me beat in the 5k and marathon distance, two of my faves.  Not that I'm keeping tabs or anything.

Great PR run! Congrats.

Congratulations!!!

lagrandegazelle

Congratulations on the new PR! I am amazed by the great work you have accomplished since you started running!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Nice job and congrats on the PR!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Luke79

Awesome man, you hauled ass!

delicate flower

Thank you all for the comments!  Much appreciated!  Smile

So_Im_a_Runner, it definitely feels good to see all those 6's in front of my miles.  Hopefully I can have more of those in the next HM I run.  Next, I want to start seeing some 5's in front of my workout intervals and I am getting pretty close to that. 

TheBanshee, basically I have been doing two faster runs a week.  I'll do one on a treadmill as a true speed workout.  I've been doing quarter mile intervals, alternating between sub 5K pace and recovery pace.  I'll do that for 5-8 miles.  I'll also do an outside run as a tempo run, HM pace, or one of my hilly routes at a faster effort...usually 8-10 miles, just to keep my legs moving fast for a longer period of time.  I recently ran 11 miles at HM pace, which leads me to believe that's no longer my HM pace.  To be honest, I have not done any research and have not gone looking for advice on speed workouts.  I've just taken what others have done on these forums and have used some of that. 

workinprogress11, it'll definitely be more fun when DW can participate.  I know she hates seeing everyone else race while she stands on the sidelines (I've been there).  Hopefully in the spring.

lindajm22, I read that you are in the Vernon area, correct?  This race has a really great, festive atmosphere.  I'd definitely recommend it.  And remember, COOKIES after!

tinman11, yesterday's race makes me wonder how much faster I could have run it if I actually had been doing speedwork all year.  Prior to November, I had done maybe a dozen speed workouts during the year and that includes my 5K, 10K, and HM races. 

makk9898, I didn't really have the energy to raise my arm in the air, but I did it anyway.  Big grin  I was a happy man.

runmomto3boys, thanks again for always being such a great cheerleader.  It is very much appreciated! 

LRB, so, uhhhh.....you have me beat in the HM?  Looks like I've got some work to do.  LOL

And thanks again to everyone else who commented.  ImaRunnah2, lilac_jive, CrisRuns, Tweaky63, CoralieT, Pinktastic, Klompus, Dtothe2nd, Awood_Runner, Fuzzy, room317, lagrandegazelle, Gustav1, Luke79:  You guys rule.  Big grin 

Here's a picture of the race start, and this about the middle of the field.  I'm glad I parked my butt near the front of the line.

<3

You have had a heck of a year!  That was a well run race, I'm glad you were able to relish your victory.  : )  Congrats!  

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Incredible!   I cannot believe that you had the energy to raise your hands in victory at the end.  Congrats on an amazing time!

That is the patented Baboon fist pump.  

Love the Half

Wouldn't it be nice if that rapid improvement you experience when you first start running lasted?  I think you'll be surprised at how a few months spent focusing on your speed will translate into better times at longer distances.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Way to smash your old PR, congratulations!

Nice photos and nice report, thanks for sharing!

Sorry to hear about your DW's stress fracture, that sucks.  Wishing her a speedy recovery!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

TakeAHike

What a solid effort.  I think I read most of your other 5K RRs this year.  I am not surprised you did not PR earlier since you were often running with tired legs on hilly courses.  This time, you obviously prepared really well crushed it.  Congratulations.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20