Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Comedy of Errors Penguins (Read 19 times)

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

From the Internet.

Morning!

Heading out to attempt 11 with 8 at HMP in about an hour D: Set my alarm for 4:55 this morning to try to get it out of the way early but I haven't had a good solid 8 hours of sleep in days, I'm congested from allergies, and my boss is still away today, so I opted to sleep a couple more hours and push the run back. I'll miss the luxury of being able to do that when I get a real job! Will be taking watered-down Gatorade in my handheld bottle to see if I can tolerate it on race day - I don't think I want to take a gel with me if I can help it.

Here's how my run went this morning:

1. My Garmin watch was frozen on the time - no big deal. Run without time today. That's a healthy thing to do from time to time (ha ha!).
        2. What no gum? Ok, fine. I'm not going that far this morning - just 4 miles and it's nice and cool. I can manage with a dry throat.
        3. My tights keep falling down. I haven't worn these since last fall and they keep dropping to my tush and sagging. I didn't want to get too far from home, so turned around to do the neighborhood loop that keeps me close -- just in case I can't take britch hitch any longer.
        4. A big ole friendly dog starts to follow me that is obviously a runaway. By now, I'm pretty close to home. He keeps following me, so I stop to check his tag and maybe call his owner. He's friendly, slobbery and stinky, which means I am now slobbery and stinky - and still friendly, too. 

There's my driveway. I'm calling it done. After a very stressful day yesterday, this comedy of errors is just what I needed to reboot my mood along with my Garmin.

Have a great day everyone!!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Busy busy day at work yesterday after 4 days off..  finally caught up a bit.

As for today, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!  Will only be about 71 degrees today, low humidity, sunshine,  a few cotton-candy clouds.  Sounds like a perfect day for a run after work along the San Antonio Riverwalk for 3 - 4 miles.

Happy Tuesday!  Today is April 28th and holidays for today are:

Biological Clock Day

Tick Tock, Tick Tock....

AFL-CIO
          Workers Memorial Day/World Day for Safety and Health at Work -  Workers Memorial Day is to remember those who have been injured/killed on the job and to renew efforts for safe workplaces.

Image result for hardhat penguin

Food:  National Blueberry Pie Day (pie....yuk.,..I don't like pie...except for Eskimo Pies)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Here's how my run went this morning:

1. My Garmin watch was frozen on the time - no big deal. Run without time today. That's a healthy thing to do from time to time (ha ha!).
            2. What no gum? Ok, fine. I'm not going that far this morning - just 4 miles and it's nice and cool. I can manage with a dry throat.
            3. My tights keep falling down. I haven't worn these since last fall and they keep dropping to my tush and sagging. I didn't want to get too far from home, so turned around to do the neighborhood loop that keeps me close -- just in case I can't take britch hitch any longer.
            4. A big ole friendly dog starts to follow me that is obviously a runaway. By now, I'm pretty close to home. He keeps following me, so I stop to check his tag and maybe call his owner. He's friendly, slobbery and stinky, which means I am now slobbery and stinky - and still friendly, too. 

There's my driveway. I'm calling it done. After a very stressful day yesterday, this comedy of errors is just what I needed to reboot my mood along with my Garmin.

Have a great day everyone!!

Well, Kathleen if your tights do fall down, at least nobody would run away in horror like they would if my shorts fell down.     You had quite an interesting run!  Now I want to meet the slobbery you and the slobbery dog! 

Lauren, hope your run went well and your congestion clears up!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning, folks!  10 last night.  6-10 tonight.  Hopefully without as much adventure as Kathleen had.  Did the dog ever find its way home?

PADRunner

Morning. 4 this morning, warmup & tempo. Group tonight.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  Some number of miles today (in the 4-6 range).  I've been feeling run down (allergies) but I usually feel better once I'm warmed up so I hope that will be the case today.

Kathleen - sometimes it is good enough to have tried -- when the world conspires against you a low mileage day isn't the end of the world

Lauren - good luck on that intense run!

scotty - enjoy your after work miles

Zel - have a nice 6-10

PAD - good job on the morning miles!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

I got a massage yesterday and it hurt sooooooo good! I will try for some miles later today and hopefully some faster ones at MP (not that I'm doing a marathon). Well, it's still up in the air if I am going to jog/walk the marathon or race/jog the HM. On my last long run I remember thinking "26 miles is a long freakin' way!"

Ginny: DW has been getting calf cramps. This week she is loading up on bananas and kiwis.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Kathleen, the weight loss challenge must be working.

Jack, how is your mom doing?

4 planned for this afternoon.

GinnyinPA

Kathleen - Time for some new tights for you.  Were you able to call the dog's owner?  I ran into a dog on a run a month or two ago and we had to call the County dog license people and give them the number on the tag to find the dog's address.  It wasn't far, and he could have found his way home, but it was a busy street and we didn't want him injured or killed.

Lauren - if you're only using Gatorade, you might want to water it down a bit.  Full strength is a bit strong for me when I'm running.  At the race ion Sunday it was just right, but I alternated water and Gatorade. Have a good run.

Scotty - sounds like perfect weather for a run.

Z - enjoy your 6-10 tonight.

PAD - have fun with the group tonight.

Jack - OJ has a lot of potassium too.  You know you're going to run the full, don't you?  Just as you ran LA before your debut marathon, just for fun, I can see you running this one easy, because it's what you really want to do.

sapf - I hope the allergies ease up so you can enjoy your miles later.  Do you take anything for them?

Jerry - enjoy your short run.

AFM:  another rest day.  I can walk better, but still no stairs.  Walking Ben should help, though I'm not looking forward to the hills on the long loop.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hiya, Penguins!!  Today I'm running late because DH and I met with a company to discuss installing solar panels on our house.  This is the second of two companies, and very much my preferred one.  The other is a bigger company who does lots of stuff, and also solar.  This is a small company that only does solar and has lots of great reviews.  So now I just need to spend some time (a lot of time) crunching numbers to make sure we can afford it.  My lab is still my own personal Hell of hot temps, and everything continues.

Lauren -- Hope your 11 went well, and you never know, your "real" boss might be flexible!!

Kathleen -- The tights part was my favorite, although I'm partial to big friendly dogs too!!

Scotty -- sounds like a great day for a run, hope you enjoy it!!  BTW, didn't your shorts fall down at the gym at the end of your run once?  I'm sure I remember hearing that story ...

Zelanie -- Enjoy your 6-10!!  How will you decide how far to go?

PAD -- Woo-hoo for your 4, and enjoy the group run!!

sapf -- hope your allergies get left behind on the run!!

Jack -- I LOVE massages like that!!  Enjoy the miles later!!

jerryb -- have a good 4!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ginny -- have a good RD, and hopefully walking Ben works out some of the kinks!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Thanks for starting us off, Kathleen.  Too bad the world conspired against your running this morning. Smile

Lauren, I'm glad you got to sleep in before your tough run!

Jill, I hope you have a good allergy-free run.

PAD, enjoy the club run tonight (I had mine this morning - love my club!)

Scotty, have a beautiful Riverwalk run tonight.

Zel, enjoy your run tonight!

Jack, yes, I too have discovered that 26 miles is a long freakin' distance!

Jerry, enjoy the 4.

Ginny, do you have to do stairs at your house?  Going down kinda sideways helps. Smile

HopesMom, good luck with the solar.  We are having some hot temps right now (in the 90s) and my new house has stayed cool without A/C...I'm so excited!  We are on a hill with a good cross breeze.  I hate paying high electric bills, but if I don't have to run the A/C a lot, solar won't make sense for us.

5 miles done with my club this morning.

From the Internet.

Ginny - I did half Gatorade, half water. Only took a couple swigs, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't make me ill and it seemed OK - I'll probably carry the same mix on my long run this weekend too just to be sure. I'm at that funny goal time range where I worry that I'll be wiped out by the end of the race if I take in nothing, but won't be on my feet long enough to really need a gel (and at that effort level the idea of a gel makes me want to barf anyway :X ).

11 done, 2 warmup, 8 at 8:20 average on more hills than my race will have, 1 cooldown. First long tempo where I was more worried about how my stomach will feel on race day than how my legs were feeling in the moment - they just did their job, one foot in front of the other, no complaints at all Big grin