Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Head For The Cure 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to a slideshow of just the photos: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2047%20Head%20For%20The%20Cure%205K

BEFORE THE START

This was my 47th race of 2016, held Sep 24, 2016.  This 5K was started by local TV station KSAT-13 in honor and memory of their news director who died of brain cancer and this event raises money for brain cancer research.    Start and finish at Providence High School whose folks kindly open their campus for this event each year.  KSAT is just about right across the street from the school.   Having done this event before I picked up my race packet the day before since I know from experience how busy this one gets on race morning - and a nice touch of KSAT to put the timing chip in the packet, so no standing in line on race morning to get the chip, that saved a lot of time.  I still got there early with my "old faithful' old-time Canon camera and wandered around until start time getting some pre-start photos.

Me and friend Karen

photo 012_zps2kmmd4nb.jpg

photo 013_zpsosbg9e16.jpg

photo 025_zpslmfd5ksr.jpg

Our hosts and the founders of the race

photo 004_zpseo5pym4c.jpg

The lonely start/finish line before the majority of people have arrived; and our timing and results guy getting ready.

photo 001_zpsqyubod4y.jpg

photo 003_zpsvcwtmebh.jpg

Our MC who did a great job.  Sorry about the photo quality...my old-time camera does not always do so well when the light is low.

photo 006_zpsrhpz4hra.jpg

Our Music Masters, who kept it lively for us.  They did a great job.

photo 023_zpseqrt7i4n.jpg

These ladies were part of the group that sang The National Anthem

photo 026_zpsc3my8kiv.jpg

photo 037_zpsi9kyhkzi.jpg

The Scouts did the flag-raising as the Anthem was sung

photo 028_zpsgsxijgme.jpg

Various participants, supporters, etc.  The yellow shirts some are wearing are the race shirts.

photo 007_zpskdp58yid.jpg

photo 009_zpsjw9zhyix.jpg

photo 010_zps62k1oamz.jpg

photo 011_zpsbwg8whq9.jpg

I told Superman sorry, I borrowed a pair of his socks...

photo 015_zpsisqu98v7.jpg

photo 016_zps9p3ce1tr.jpg

photo 019_zpssmm4pbys.jpg

photo 020_zps6qn7jquq.jpg

photo 043_zpsdezgkkpe.jpg

This speedy guy was the overall winner - 17 minutes something, I think.  He lapped me on the way to the finish as I was just starting my 2nd lap.

photo 024_zpsrqisrbnl.jpg

photo 031_zpsm9w2p8bb.jpg

photo 032_zpsgcbfbfia.jpg

photo 033_zpsorbaflxx.jpg

photo 034_zpscjr0pnls.jpg

Providence girls running team

photo 036_zpsrwmrs3ga.jpg

My very speedy friend Anthony with a beautiful lady who hangs out with him because she is probably sorry for him.    Kinda like my wife with me at times...   

photo 038_zpsf9va2ks9.jpg

photo 039_zpsvv48g4xh.jpg

photo 040_zpsfye6mtlk.jpg

photo 041_zpskkgzhelh.jpg

National Anthem and Flag Raising

photo 042_zpsdkf8rwcy.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started at the school, went out onto St. Mary's Street, and then did a course of two laps around the surrounding area, finishing up back at the school on the second lap.  Nice, wide roads, so plenty of room for everyone.  There was a walking event too, so most of we runners encountered the walkers on our second lap as we runners were heading to the finish; the walkers were pretty polite and primarily stayed to the left, we we runners went down the right side of the road. Where I was at any given time, I did not see any runners having problems with any of the walkers.  I ended up finishing in 34:08, which was good enough for 2nd in my age group of 60-64.  I think, though, there were only 3 IN my age group, lol.  Never mind...I'll take it.    All participants also got a memorial finish medal.

photo 044_zpsppupgskv.jpg

photo 045_zpsmq55dryb.jpg

photo 046_zps6v9y0wl9.jpg

photo 047_zpshj8zyfle.jpg

photo 048_zpshdxmhk97.jpg

photo 049_zpszjowlkza.jpg

photo 050_zpsxjoigxmv.jpg

2nd lap....and I hope it's not a bad sign I'm near a funeral home....  

photo 052_zpswom5dvfc.jpg

photo 053_zpslaf9xavf.jpg

photo 054_zpsqyihrfmk.jpg

photo 055_zpszmts0xqo.jpg

photo 056_zpsn5nkpbpk.jpg

photo 057_zpsbnbuzoga.jpg

photo 058_zpsoee7k9dr.jpg

photo 059_zpsqss3vzp4.jpg

photo 060_zpsirrvcywo.jpg

photo 061_zpsivjwpgkr.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Got a bottle of water - and NICE, the organizers had it all iced down in wading pools and right there at the finish, so we did not have to go looking for it.  I wish every race I participate in would do that, so convenient! - and then found some shade, drank a bit of water, and did my post-race stretches.  After that...onto to get some  photos of the "Happy Finishers" and others.

Goodies included...

photo 068_zps0d8fyi8d.jpg

Krispy Kreme

photo 071_zps6rnzuz5j.jpg

Bagels and brownies

photo 072_zpssyfg2nem.jpg

Goldfish crackers and various nutrition bars

photo 073_zpszwdzexbw.jpg

...and this ice-cold and very refreshing kinda-like-gelata thingy - I forget the actual name of the stuff - that these folks are enjoying; it came in several flavors and was quite popular post-race.

photo 076_zpsqsph8lan.jpg

photo 062_zpslxfut7mk.jpg

photo 063_zpspdtzuy7d.jpg

photo 064_zpsviv1oqhr.jpg

photo 065_zpscjkhiwmw.jpg

photo 066_zpsfnjfkyug.jpg

Run Wild Sports provided packet pickup location pre-race day.  Very good running store operated by my friends here.

photo 069_zpsrbioa9vx.jpg

photo 070_zpsgaprdyei.jpg

Wait, little lady, the photo isn't over yet...

photo 074_zpsfylzjo9e.jpg

There you are...

photo 075_zpsp4qlsiw7.jpg

photo 077_zpsi63fjykg.jpg

photo 078_zpskl3d1e9p.jpg

This little lady is currently being treated for brain cancer - prayers appreciated! - so I gave her my finisher medal so she would have a 'double prize".  May God bless you, little one.

photo 079_zpsjfovixzu.jpg

I took 3 photos of this group - actually, all I wanted was a photo of the giant dog...  ....just kidding - since people kept joining the group, lol.  With the last photo, I think I finally got everyone in.  The dog even cooperated in the last photo, facing toward the camera. 

photo 080_zpsaz3m8hyl.jpg

photo 081_zpswfuwh5r7.jpg

photo 082_zpsnktgemis.jpg

photo 083_zpsnqgkxbco.jpg

photo 084_zpsrseapbhx.jpg

As usual, my friend Bernadette placed in her age group, so she had two medals.

photo 085_zpsugdu3glp.jpg

photo 086_zpsifytfzdn.jpg

photo 087_zpsj70sp1py.jpg

EPILOGUE

I've done every one of these since this event started, so kept my streak going. Really well done event, nice finisher medals, nice course, very flat, not a hill in sight, good course to shoot for a PR.  LOTS of sponsors and many many, MANY post-race goodies - they just need to add beer to the goodies list.    Very nice tech tee race shirts; and, of course, all for a great cause.  This one keeps growing and all the people and 'characters' I have ever interacted with at this one have been great.  Definitely a keeper on my race calendar.  Mucho thanks to all the people who made this one happen for us:  law enforcement, sponsors, KSAT-13 folks, Providence High School, etc.

I need a nap now...I've got two more races this weekend, a night time run on Sep 24 and another 5K on Sep 25.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt