Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Transplants For Children Super Heroes 5K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to a slideshow of just the photos: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2051%20Transplants%20for%20Children%205K

BEFORE THE START

My 51st race of 2016, held on October 2 at Morgan's Wonderland [ <cite>www.morganswonderland.com/</cite>  ], a specialized park designed for those with special needs and the park now has an international reputation for it.  Race supports Transplants for Children [<cite>www.transplantsforchildren.org</cite> ], dedicated to helping young organ and tissue transplant recipients and their families.Weather was just beautiful, sunny, blue skies, and a nice temp of around 63 degrees at the 8:30 a.m. start time.  There was also a Kids Run.   I arrived on site with about 45 minutes to start time and started doing my photo taking.  The day was VERY bright, with lots of shadows and sunlight resulting in some of the photos.

Arriving at the park, you are greeted with these hands.

photo 001_zpsdkvud3z9.jpg

photo 001_zpsdkvud3z9.jpg

The park has a very nice man-made lake that loops around inside the park

photo 056_zpsmfi1zwlb.jpg

photo 072_zpsqm3i5leh.jpg

Jr. Air Force ROTC Color Guard for The National Anthem

photo 002_zps5mq4kb89.jpg

Me and friend Karen.  This was the 2nd event of the weekend for both of us, as we'd each done the same 5K on Saturday morning.

photo 010_zpsmuoqrghu.jpg

Two lovely ladies, Bernadette and Karen

photo 016_zpsk1cyxjwt.jpg

The 3 of us

photo 017_zpsut7ijxo4.jpg

MC Extraordinaire Mark Purnell, doing his usual great job, with Mitch Allen if iRun Texas, local race management/running store company that does a great job with course set up, timing, results, etc.  Not to mention the stores selling some great quality running products.

photo 003_zpsucspqzgw.jpg

Mitch and the Race Director

photo 004_zpspt12j9qj.jpg

One of the Wonder Women who help oversee Transplants for Children....they all really are Wonder People doing the job they do.

photo 006_zpsluq55zhs.jpg

Kids getting ready to go for the Kids Run which started at 8 a.m.

photo 005_zpsiqppe4p5.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc.

photo 007_zps4md723w5.jpg

photo 008_zpsy2cdmx0w.jpg

photo 011_zpsfxb4yggr.jpg

photo 012_zpsgs8i4cia.jpg

photo 013_zpszoyrqqmi.jpg

photo 014_zpsfry1t2uj.jpg

photo 015_zpsvhst33pf.jpg

photo 019_zpsx3iyikxk.jpg

photo 020_zpsuh1pyzmr.jpg

I found someone to make sure I behaved while I was there....my wife would be happy...

photo 049_zpsitrzkzzj.jpg

Sorry about that sunlight, Thor....

photo 021_zps5gqqo8yt.jpg

photo 022_zpsc4jy39ub.jpg

photo 023_zps4mesw3qs.jpg

very cool dog...the guy told the dog "photo...get ready" and the dog posed, lol

photo 024_zps4xwvfphr.jpg

photo 025_zpsoqqphbzr.jpg

photo 027_zpstcxnvvnz.jpg

photo 051_zpsl45dopg5.jpg

photo 052_zpsoq5blyka.jpg

photo 053_zpsjg4l5xkx.jpg

Little Heroes and Mom (I think) finishing up

photo 054_zps6hdsn2yz.jpg

Wonder Woman - there were several at the race - finishing

photo 055_zpsc4yaiuw3.jpg

ON THE COURSE

A loop in the park around the park lake, then out the gate onto some flat roads.  Pass by Toyota Stadium (professional soccer) and Heroes Stadium (local school district stadium that hosts a variety of activities and sports events), do a turn around in the parking lot area of Toyota Stadium and then back the way we came out, finishing with a loop back around the lake in Morgan's Wonderland.  I was feeling pretty good today and managed to finish in 33:57 - first time in a long while I've gone under 34 minutes - placing first in my 60 - 69 age group. Of course, there were only 2 IN my age group, lol.

photo 028_zpsjpm6lsur.jpg

photo 029_zpszxfgoo4e.jpg

photo 030_zpsbniybqrf.jpg

Passing by Heroes Stadium

photo 031_zpsx1cc4ygq.jpg

Toyota Stadium behind us on the way out

photo 032_zpsesl0vadg.jpg

Mitch pacing the overall winner as he heads back to the finish

photo 033_zpswzukh5sy.jpg

Volunteers like these two were out on the course for us, some in costume

photo 034_zpskwqyy54n.jpg

I'm now heading back to the finish

photo 035_zpsxjbkz1qj.jpg

photo 036_zpsgvnlws0i.jpg

photo 037_zpsrnpgsucx.jpg

photo 038_zpsi3ukxg6t.jpg

photo 039_zpshrp2nnv7.jpg

photo 040_zpschdnv9hz.jpg

After that last photo of two of the volunteers, I hoofed it back the last 1.2 miles nonstop to the finish.

AFTER THE FINISH

Goodies were bananas, gatorade, water, and various other sundries.   No post-race beer for me at this one, but I get it - this event is designed after all with the kids in mind, so it's all good. It was a tough row to hoe, but I managed without my usual post-race beer.  [Insert BIG SIGH here....   Tongue    j/k, of course!]   I did some post-race stretching, drank down some water to rehydrate, and then it was off to get the post-race photos.

photo 041_zpswiwgrpmx.jpg

photo 042_zpsjs67ekxy.jpg

photo 043_zps1vua1kba.jpg

Batgirl and Wonder Woman in the shadows....watching for crime....  

photo 045_zpshwlgmzsp.jpg

..and out of the shadows...

photo 046_zpslama0i8r.jpg

photo 048_zps1tc3kxtp.jpg

At the park amphitheater for the awards

photo 057_zpsp22ezgzb.jpg

photo 058_zpsujfdjzj5.jpg

photo 059_zpsfx2mqkt7.jpg

photo 061_zpsrawqkcqz.jpg

First 5K ever for this young guy and he got 3rd in his age group

photo 062_zpst44gdxpz.jpg

photo 063_zpsljyrsuqt.jpg

photo 064_zps7hz8xu6o.jpg

photo 065_zpsb6o0jpyq.jpg

Bernadette, 2nd in her age group.  She and me with our medals

photo 066_zpsgxi5eneh.jpg

My running friend, John T., got 1st in his age group

photo 067_zpslsfmvlu7.jpg

...while my friend John F., got first master overall.  I have some speedy friends.

photo 068_zpsdnbipjl1.jpg

Super Heroes Line Dancing, post-awards

photo 069_zpsauuipwml.jpg

photo 070_zpsfki6secr.jpg

And a jump-roping doggie

photo 071_zpsnypuzuri.jpg

Closeup of the Age Group Awards medal.    I got a photo of it and then gave it to the Director to give to a child in their system who has had a transplant.  After all, the kids we do this event for are the real heroes.

photo 073_zpsgmdhzs2h.jpg

EPILOGUE

A fairly small event with only 109 finishers, but hope this one grows.  Good cause, nice flat course - good PR course for a 5K for those of you so inclined to shoot for a PR - nice to actually run through the park, plenty of costumed folks making for a fun outing, nice age group award medals.   Definitely would do this one again.  Mucho thanks to all the folks who made this one happen for we participants:  law enforcement, Morgan's Wonderland, volunteers, sponsors, vendors, etc.

Postscript - Good luck to my friend, Karen, who had to DNF (Did Not Finish) from the course after an ankle issue.  Wish you speedy healing, my friend!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I love all the costumes!  Didn't you do another race there recently?  It's a nice venue.

Zelanie

Those are great costumes!  I love the posing and jumping dogs.

Congrats on #51.

Buelligan

Always love your pic heavy race reports.  They're like photographic essays.