Beginners and Beyond

Back at it, Penguin Mondailies!! (Read 19 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey Penguins!!  Well, I'm back at work after my 2.5 week vacation, and I am SOO not ready to do all this again!!  My to-do list is already a mile long.  But hey, that's why they pay me the big bucks, right?

And to start my new year off right, DH and I actually did PT this morning.  Cue the trumpet fanfare!!

So what's up, everyone?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

Good luck back at work HsM.

Today I'm going to do a longish run on the treadmill.  DH is finally back at work after two weeks off so it is time for me to get back to running for real.  I have one student today and other than that just lots and lots of cleaning to do.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Welcome back HopesMom.

Jill - good luck with your TM run.  You have three weeks to get ready for your half.  Is your husband running it too?

I'll be doing a few miles on the TM as it's really cold and windy outside - feels like temp. of 18 with 23 mph gusts.  Winter has finally arrived.

Zelanie

Hey guys!  Schools are closed today (thankfully) due to freezing rain.  I am relaxing a bit this morning, then will do some miles on the TM.

HsM- Welcome back, and good work on the PT!

Jill- Good luck with the LishR! Smile

Ginny- These are definitely the days when it's great to have a TM!  Are you still traveling this week, or were you guys getting back from traveling?

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I am off all week with the Disney races starting Thursday, so I am running a lot of errands today.  I have Pilates and 6 after the dentist.  Fun.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.  I've got the same weather as Ginny, so I'll probably opt for the treadmill also. DH will be leaving soon for a business trip, so I'll run later once I help him get on the road. It's my job to figure out how to get his phone hooked into the rental car audio system.

Jill, what do you teach?

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Good morning everyone.  I've got the same weather as Ginny, so I'll probably opt for the treadmill also. DH will be leaving soon for a business trip, so I'll run later once I help him get on the road. It's my job to figure out how to get his phone hooked into the rental car audio system.

Jill, what do you teach?

Well, I used to be an inner city high school chemistry teacher.  Now I tutor mostly high school math and science up to college level chem, bio, and calculus.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Philliefan33

Well, I used to be an inner city high school chemistry teacher.  Now I tutor mostly high school math and science up to college level chem, bio, and calculus.

Ah, a kindred spirit. I was a chemist. I tutored chemistry and math in college to earn pizza money. As I recall, most of my students who needed help with chemistry really just needed help with algebra.

Singer who runs a smidge

Chemist here.  I don't tutor, because it's amazing how much gen chem I've forgotten!! 

Wandering Wally

Back at it for sure. Back to work today after the long weekend.

Ran 5 miles on Friday in sticky snow. Took a break Saturday as my calves were sore from plowing through the snow. Then, ran 5 miles yesterday. Snow was still a bit sticky, but not as bad. Feeling good today. I'll be running again tomorrow. The goal for this week is 20-ish miles.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Philliefan33

Chemist here.  I don't tutor, because it's amazing how much gen chem I've forgotten!! 

I've forgotten any chemistry that didn't pertain to my job (and probably a lot that should've pertained to my project but I couldn't remember). When DD, the analytical / biochemist, gets talking about her research I have to remind her of that.

Philliefan33

Sorry, we are getting off topic here with all this chemistry talk.

The mailman delivered my new Saucony Guide 8 shoes before I left for the gym, so I gave them the inaugural run on the treadmill. I've never worn Saucony, I usually run in Brooks and Asics but lately the Asics haven't been lasting for me so I want to try something different. A "shoe guide" compared the Saucony Guide to the Brooks Ravenna, which I love.  After just a short three-miler, so far so good for the Sauconys.

GinnyinPA

Margo - I have a pair of Guides that have worked well for me.  They aren't as cushy as the Triumphs, so I wear them for my shorter runs, but they're good for that. 516 miles so far and still going strong.  If the new Cumulus don't work, I may go back and try the new Guides for y long runs.

Melanie - We just went down to MD for the day.  It's about 2 1/2 hours to Crofton, where the kids all live.  It makes for a long day, driving down, having a belated Christmas celebration, then driving back home, but it's worth it.  It's the reason we moved where we did - to be close enough to visit, but not in the DC area any more. Sometimes we still wish we had moved out west instead, but for now, this will do.

Damaris - I really don't envy you running three races in a row, but I am sure you'll do well.

mjsmith - where do you live that you have snow on the ground?  Good job getting out and running in it.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Went to the health club today and tried their new Jacob's ladder.  Seemed easy enough but when I got off after about 2 minutes I could barely walk.  Better bring my HRM next time, whew !!!