Beginners and Beyond

Sort of RR question about diet (Read 84 times)

slowrunningjulie

I am posting here because it is pretty much the only place I can think of where I can post about this problem without getting flamed. So here it is - I need help with eating more calories and maintaining weight in a healthy manner.

Background is this - I have been running since 2009. Started running initially to lose weight after the birth of my second child. From 2009 until mid-2013, I dropped down to and then maintained a weight of about 155. I am 5'6" and at this weight wear about a size 8. I would consider myself to be healthy but "could stand to lose about ten pounds" at that weight. I did not watch my weight or follow any particular diet over this time period, although I am a vegetarian and have been for about 10 years.

About a year ago, I had braces put on my teeth. At the same time that they put the braces on, they also extracted four teeth. I dropped ten pounds in two weeks and ever since that time, I have been continuing to lose weight. This morning I weighed in at 129 pounds and am currently wearing a size 4. I am not doing anything deliberately to lose weight. I cut my food smaller to eat it with the braces, eat slower and am not allowed to eat certain foods, such as popcorn and hard candy. I am running roughly the same amount as last year.

I am pretty happy with my weight now, but do not want to lose any more. The problem is, I don't know how to stop losing weight. I don't want to embark on a "milkshake and cookies" diet, because I would like to maintain my current weight after my braces come off and also because I want to follow a healthy diet. But I don't really understand WHY I am losing weight. I assume that it is because, although I am eating, I am not eating a sufficient amount of calories and fat to support the amount of running that I do. To give you an idea of my mileage, I am at 275 miles so far for 2014. Not crazy high. I don't feel like I need to (or should) cut back. But I don't want to waste away either. Any thoughts?

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

Hip Redux

Have you had bloodwork done recently?  Things like thyroid disorders could cause an abnormal drop in weight.   It seems odd you would losing that much without deliberately changing anything.

LRB

That's a unique problem to have, provided there are no health issues at play I would say  the majority of our population should get braces!

I have never had braces so I could not say for certain but it sounds like a change in what you ate then and how you eat since is responsible.  If that is the case then once the braces are removed you would probably just monitor things from there.

For me to drop 5 stinking pounds takes a ton of work initially with much higher mileage mind you, but once I am in the zone it is really easy to lose and maintain.  Maybe you are in a similar zone with the things you are not eating and the way you are eating and have not realized it?

Going from an 8 to a 4 is awesome by the way. 

happylily

You need to increase the size of your portions to counteract the continuous weight loss. If no more weight loss, then the size of your servings is good. If you gain weight and are not happy with it, reduce the size of the servings again.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Hoping no medical issues, just awesome weight loss.

I had braces and never had any issues.  Having said that, I was my skinniest while having the braces, hmmm.

And what Lily said.  Maybe add an extra snack of nuts or something and see whether that helps.  If not, then add some more or increase the meal portions until you stop losing.  But I would get my bloodwork done in case.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

slowrunningjulie

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think there are any underlying health issues. The weight loss started immediately as soon as I got my braces on. I think it is caused by the fact that it takes me longer to eat my food, which causes me to eat smaller portion sizes. I also tend to avoid food that gets stuck in there, which includes stuff like bread.

The weight loss is the only part about having braces that I like. What I would ideally like to do is stop losing weight now, at my current weight, and then maintain it. That is the trick.

Upcoming:

happylily

Eat lots of poutine! 

Hip Redux

Eat lots of poutine! 

That'll do it!  lol

slowrunningjulie

Eat lots of poutine! 

What's poultine?

Upcoming:

happylily

Poutine, as per Wikipedia. And I heard that Anthony Bourdain loves it. 

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Drink alcohol?

Seriously though, I had a similar "problem" when I was training and my DW had gestational diabetes. I had to eat the same stuff as her, and I was losing weight. The kid came and the diets went back to normal and I've maintained ever since. I'd still like to lose a good 10 lbs though.

- Andrew

LRB

Alcohol will certainly help you maintain your target weight once you achieve it.  Pop, juice or anything with sugar will as well.

LRB

If she eats on of those a week for the next six weeks this thread would have an entirely different vibe.  lol

Docket_Rocket

Lily, did you see the link I posted on yesterday's dailies about the Poutine burger?  With pics?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Alcohol will certainly help you maintain your target weight once you achieve it.  Pop, juice or anything with sugar will as well.

Soda is not recommended while having braces.  It tends to loosen up the braces.

Damaris

Fundraising Page