Beginners and Beyond

Fighting boredom (Read 31 times)

PaigeR

New runner here, well, walker really. Hi all, I've started walking/attempting to run 5ks.

I have a few questions:

1. I get bored when I run. Do you?

2. I think I need to develop a running routine and was wondering what you all do. Do you run first thing? Do you eat first? After work?

3. Best device for packing your phone? Best earbuds?

Thanks in advance!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Welcome!

1. I don't get bored unless on the treadmill. For the treadmill, I use music or podcasts.

2. You will get a different answer from everyone. Your routine has to be what works for you. I run after work on weekdays and in the mid morning on weekends.

3. I get cheap waist packs from Amazon. As long as it doesn't bounce, I'm happy.

Welcome!

1. No (unless it's the treadmill). It is the most wonderful thing I do all day. Even when it's a bad run, it's still usually better than the rest of my day. And I run solo and without music, so boredom potential for a normal person would be high. But if you get bored, yes some people like to have music. Even better, try to find a running partner or a running club; running with others makes it go by more quickly. Plus you make friends and get running advice.

2. Yes you do, but doesn't matter what time of day - everyone needs to find what works best for their own schedule. I always run in the morning. It's about 30 min for me to drive to work. I joined a gym near work; I drive there first thing, drinking coffee on the way (no food). I only use the gym for their locker room, to shower & change, and arrive at work having already gotten my run in. Then I eat breakfast at my desk. On weekends, I eat breakfast first & relax for a bit, and run mid-late morning.

3. Well I don't usually run with my phone, but I do sometimes when traveling in case I get lost. In those cases, I use the phone holder conveniently attached to the end of my arm. It seems to work just fine. Also as mentioned, no music for me, so no earbud recommendations. Although I have occasionally used them on the treadmill, and just used the standard wired ones that come with the older iPhones.

Dave

delicate flower

Hi Paige!  Welcome aboard!  Nice to have you here.  To answer (sort of) your questions:

1)  I do not get bored, but I can understand how others might with the monotony of running.  It helps to not do the same thing every time.  Vary your runs, your routes, your paces, your efforts, and your distances.

2)  Like others have said, you need to figure out what works best for you through trial and error.  We all have different life responsibilities to tend to at various times, and we run when time allows.  I do most of my running after work around 5:00, but will occasionally run before work.  I eat my food when it's time to eat.  My running doesn't really factor into it.

3)  I don't listen to music when I run.  In the rare times I need to carry my phone, I have shorts with a pocket across the middle of the back that will hold it snugly.  I own a SpiBelt if I need to carry more stuff, usually on vacation runs.   

<3

onemile

I listen to audio books while I run and if it's a good book it gives me something to look forward to. (I only allow myself to listen while running)

onemile

Oh, and podcasts!

GinnyinPA

I don't get bored with running. I was a hiker for years, so an hour or two running is very little time compared to 10 hours hiking. I listen to music on some runs, but like to do some runs without since most of our local races don't allow headphones. For headphones I just use a sports headphone that wraps around my ear.

Everybody has to work out their own schedule for running. I usually run in the afternoon or just before dinner. I'm not a morning person.

Cyberic

I don't get bored while running.

But breaking up your run in parts makes it go faster. Alternate between easier parts and more challenging ones. Then you're always doing something. Either you're recovering and/or preparing for the last/next challenging part, or you're concentrating on executing the more challenging part well.

Challenging parts can be to run faster, to go up a hill, or whatever.

I'm not saying you should do that, I'm just just sharing a way to take some boredom out of running.

Just be careful in not going too hard in the challenging parts, because that's how people get injured. And not two days in a row of "challenging" running

sdWhiskers

1) I listen to music always except when I'm running early morning in the dark. I have a "no music until I turn off my headlamp" rule. Sometimes I get antsy to just get the run over with but not usually bored. Gives me time to think about all sorts of things.

2) I run almost all my runs first thing in the morning before the family gets up. My clothes are laid out the night before and I know what and where I'll run before heading to bed. When I wake up, its get dressed, eat a frozen waffle, drink a little Gatorade or water then out the door within 10-15 mins.

3) I don't usually run with my phone (iPod FTW). I only carry it when running in a new place or during long runs, in which case then I usually have my hydration pack. I do have something similar to a Flipbelt to carry if I need it during a race. Ear buds are very user specific. The ones I love don't work for my husband and vice versa. I usually buy $8 ones from Amazon that are essentially disposable. However, my current pair have lasted almost 2 years. Make sure any earbuds you use still allow you to hear traffic!