Beginners and Beyond

They Serve Beer? (Read 88 times)

Natty Boh!! As a Baltimore transplant living in Indiana now, I find myself grabbing one of those when I get back to the coast and thinking, "well this wasn't a good decision".  Smile  Probably more nostalgic than anything. But it's like drinking an Olde Style in Chicago - when in Rome....

I failed to mention that the beer offered was Baltimore's own, National Bohemian! I wouldn't drink that crap on a bet, much less during a race. Big grin

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Google "beer mile". Talk about an intense 4x400 track workout!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

I saw beer during Disney but don't recall where.  They had a little table with it somewhere on the course.  Maybe around the water treatment plant.

Some people running the Disney marathon stop in Epcot and buy beer, but you would have to take over 5 or 5.5 hours since the World Showcase doesn't open til 11.  I do think some spectators were handing out beer prior to that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

When I don't run the local half in October, I "DJ" at some point on the course and handout beer to friends.  We usually get pretty drunk ourselves.  This year we were dancing to Gagnam Style by time the 10mm'ers made it through...

Something witty

Dreamn

There were at least 3 spectator beer stops during the Shamrock half this past weekend, the official beer was in the finish line tent.  There was also spectator beer stops on the course of the Philly marathon and on the Cherry Blossom 10-miler.

cmb4314

I suppose, but the whole idea of drinking while running seems counter-intuitive even if just doing it for "shits and giggles". Afterwards is another story. But hey...it's all good, yeah?

If I drank beer on the course, I have a feeling that only half of "shits and giggles" would describe what happened next.

Beer after?  I've seen that a lot, but meh.  They always get crappy beer, and crappy beer is the last thing I feel like drinking at that point.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

aplodder

Susan

Beer after?  I've seen that a lot, but meh.  They always get crappy beer, and crappy beer is the last thing I feel like drinking at that point.

Shamrock was sponsored by Yuengling.  It tasted pretty good at the end.

Last year at Myrtle Beach, along with the Michelob Ultra (aka beer flavored water), there was a local microbrewery giving out a most excellent dark beer.  I drank a few of those

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Google "beer mile". Talk about an intense 4x400 track workout!

My college team did that (in conjunction with a milk mile) followed by the "Drunken Dash" (100m). Some mid-d guy showed up in a Tigger costume and whooped all the distance guys who couldn't drink. So much fun!

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I suppose, but the whole idea of drinking while running seems counter-intuitive even if just doing it for "shits and giggles". Afterwards is another story. But hey...it's all good, yeah?

I on't like beer the way it is so it doesn't affect me, but seems like a recipe for more "shits" and less "giggles" after awhile!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My friend is a member of a "drunk running club" in Boston, and during the Boston Marathon they hand out beer to runners.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

sunfastrose

Fatty McFatFat

There is a 10 miler that serves Bloody Marys. It is in Salem, Mass.

Which race?  (Not a big drinker, but interested)

Trail Monster

There were at least 3 spectator beer stops during the Shamrock half this past weekend, the official beer was in the finish line tent.  There was also spectator beer stops on the course of the Philly marathon and on the Cherry Blossom 10-miler.

^This! And on out and back portions I hit them both ways. And I happily drank my free beer and DH's free beer at the finish. Drinking and running seem to pose no problem for me. I even felt a little better for the carb/sugar hit. And who wouldn't drink at a race sponsored by Yuengling?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

From the Internet.

There is a 10 miler that serves Bloody Marys. It is in Salem, Mass.

!! When does this happen?? I'll be in no shape for a 10 miler this year, but maybe next...

Dr. Cornsitter

!! When does this happen?? I'll be in no shape for a 10 miler this year, but maybe next...

+1

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

chandakitty

The Midnight Run on New Year's Eve in Central Park has a champagne station at the halfway point.  So it's cold, dark, and people are drinking on the course - fun!!  Not gonna lie, though, I got myself a cup...