Beginners and Beyond

Tech Shirts: It's All In The Name, Or Is It? (Read 192 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I want to reiterate what RUNTOMRUN said......

"They're ALL just a bunch of polyester anyway!". <-----------TRUTH Approve

I find it ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS that for the last decade or so all this "TECH" stuff has been the stuff we shunned so intensely from back in the 70's.

And while I agree that they're better than cotton for the sport of running, they are about as low tech as it can possibly get.

In junior high school, I remember being given my first set of P. E. shorts/shirt and thinking to myself...... What the H is this crap?   Big surprise.....it was polyester!!

Ditto for my HS basketball gear.

Ditto for my first fast food job. (it's easy to clean woven plastic) Big grin

Randy

notimeforthat

I run in whatever I have gotten at races and there are a couple of the non-weave shirts that I have that I will run in. Otherwise, it doesn't much matter to me.

For cycling, I have a team jersey that race in, but other than that, I have a merino jersey that I absolutely love. I will be getting more of those as I can, they are pricey, but worth it. I like the merino base layers as well.

Coastal

I bought some cheap long sleeve shirts that I like from RoadRunner on a sale last year.  They don't get cold when they get wet in the winter and dry pretty quickly when doing exercises after a run.  I don't wear them in the summer.  I bought a new one there this winter.  It's the smooth kind.  Feels great till it gets wet.  Then it gets really cold and slimy feeling, and is about as easy to take off as a wetsuit.  Yuk.

I have some hunting long sleeve tech tees that I used to run in which were fantastic all year.  Got them on sale someplace.  Too bad they are two sizes too big now.

Token Fat Guy

INKnBURN. I don't run in anything else anymore. I've gone 100k+ without changing clothes, no chafing, no degrading of colors or fabric. It's the best bang for my buck of any brand I've ever tried and its made in the US.

How are their shirts when it comes to size? Would you say they are true to size or do they run small? Amazing looking shirts quality wise, thank you for the heads up. Most of the designs aren't my style, but I'm digging the leprechaun one - my anniversary is March 17th.

5K - 29:29 10K - 1:07:52 13.1 - 2:28:36

DentingPavement.com

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Love my tech gear for running but I try not to wear it for work.  Work clothing is far better in all cotton for my work site.  Cotton will burn off of you when caught on fire while the tech stuff will melt into your skin.  Yeah we wear flame retardant clothing for a reason here at work.

Trail Monster

How are their shirts when it comes to size? Would you say they are true to size or do they run small? Amazing looking shirts quality wise, thank you for the heads up. Most of the designs aren't my style, but I'm digging the leprechaun one - my anniversary is March 17th.

I'd say they size true. I wear a small in their shirts and my DH wears a medium (he's 6 foot, 140 lbs). Their sizing charts are good indicators unlike some brands. If you want a discount code PM me and I'll send you one.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

I don't prefer one type over the other for winter running.  I like a nice snug layer of some type of tech fabric, the thicker the better when it is cold. In the summer I love the tech fabric singlets for long runs.  For my shorter runs (less than 10 miles) I normally run in cotton tanks, as I just don't have enough of the nice singlets.

Our local running organization that does most of our major races in the area, well the ones over 5ks, always does gender specific, waffle style tech shirts.  I love them.  EXCEPT when they are white.  I don't like them at all, a little too transparent for me.

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

most - and perhaps all, i'm not home right now to inspect - of my freebie race shirts are the shiny stuff. there has to be some subtle differences though. some of them wear out or discolor, some get so disgustingly smelly that not even tide sport + vinegar can save them, and some seem to last forever.

my BF's sister gave me a long sleeve athleta shirt that i raced in last weekend. it is by far the most expensive and most comfortable running top i own. too bad it's only cold enough to run in long sleeves for maybe one month of the year here.

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

Oh, and I have a fitted tech tank that hubby got for me at some discount store.  The thing is so HOT I about melted when I ran in it in the summer.  It is now a base layer when it is cold out and it works great for that.  I don't know what is different about it, but it is crazy warm!