Beginners and Beyond

Compliments you receive as a runner (Read 123 times)

Nevrgivup

What compliments have you received that have given you that extra oomph or feel good feeling?

Here are some of mine:

You are built like a runner. As an individual that runs for both a hobby and recreation I enjoy hearing this. I look up to elites and all runners.

You are speedy.

You are so dedicated and motivated.

How do you do it all?

I also love being "one of" the running community. The individual that makes running a part of my everyday life. I run because I love to run. No other reason.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

A couple of the guys in the neighborhood call me Forrest after you know who.  As one of the guys explained to his wife at a gathering, "I see Rich running on all these different streets outside of our neighborhood".  He meant it as a compliment and I received it as one too. Then the wife adds, "you are looking good".  

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

happylily

I can't think of anything as glorious as what you've been called so far, Hilary. Congratulations! 

Someone told me that I looked the part the day after I ran Boston, but that might have been because I was wearing a certain yellow shirt. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Most people think I am crazy, so some of the the "compliments" are actually back-handed. 

Nevrgivup

Thanks Julie. You totally look the part and not because of a t-shirt. Will you be in Boston in April? You are amazing with all of what you've accomplished. To say you BQ'd for over 13 marathons is nothing to sneeze at!

Nevrgivup

Most people think I am crazy, so some of the the "compliments" are actually back-handed. 

Honestly  crazy is good. Einstein was a bit crazy right? Lol

delicate flower

I would appreciate a few more compliments, but most of the comments I hear are negative in nature.

You're too skinny.  (my BMI is right in the middle of normal)

You need to eat more.  (I eat all.the.time.)

Are you feeling ok?  You look sick.  (ummmm...)

Don't you do anything else?  (I work out, I ski, and I ride bikes...sometimes)

You need to rest more.  (well, maybe.  I rest one day a week)

I get nice comments from other runners, but non-runner folk seem to think I am brain damaged and they have no appreciation for just how much work I put into this running thing.

<3

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I would appreciate a few more compliments, but most of the comments I hear are negative in nature.

You're too skinny.  (my BMI is right in the middle of normal)

You need to eat more.  (I eat all.the.time.)

Are you feeling ok?  You look sick.  (ummmm...)

Don't you do anything else?  (I work out, I ski, and I ride bikes...sometimes)

You need to rest more.  (well, maybe.  I rest one day a week)

I get nice comments from other runners, but non-runner folk seem to think I am brain damaged and they have no appreciation for just how much work I put into this running thing.

I have heard all of those, as well. My mom even thinks that I'm "withering away."

The two true compliments I have received are "You look like a runner" and "You look fit."

Walk-Jogger

I do a lot of running on my university's indoor track, and a gentleman who looked to be in his 40's came up to me earlier this week and told me that I had inspired him to start running and lose some weight. Occasionally a student at the rec center will stop me and ask my age, and then complement me for still "kicking ass and getting it done"  (at my age). Doesn't happen often, but it's nice to know that I might be a positive inspiration to someone.

Retired &  Loving It

LRB

I have heard all of those, as well. My mom even thinks that I'm "withering away."

I get "you're wasting away to nothing" said in a disgusting manner about once a month.  Most of the comments I get are in line with BBB's.

Cool story Cecil!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I get "you're wasting away to nothing" said in a disgusting manner about once a month.  Most of the comments I get are in line with BBB's.

Cool story Cecil!

Yes, but at least you have some muscle tone on you. I have nothing! It's my own fault because I hate lifting or even doing push ups. One thing I need to do more of is core work. I weigh less now then I did in high school and that was a long time ago.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

From the occasional car trying to exit a driveway, "Get out of the mother fawking way you piece of shit mother trucker!"

You people have issues 

Hip Redux

I ran during my lunch hour today - about 40 minutes.

Comment from coworker "I saw you running on the TM, did you do like 12 miles or something?"

That's a complement, right? lol

happylily

I ran during my lunch hour today - about 40 minutes.

Comment from coworker "I saw you running on the TM, did you do like 12 miles or something?"

That's a complement, right? lol

Maybe not a complement, but surely a compliment. (Sorry Oski, I couldn't resist correcting someone smarter than me. )

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

"You look like a runner."

From a co-worker when they saw me on a really hot day:  "You looked like you were really trucking along there!"  Mind you, I was going slower than shit because of the heat, but whatever.