Beginners and Beyond

Week 12 Penguins are rolling up their sleeves and digging in! (03/18-03/24) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

This week and next are my big push weeks.  Contest starts on Thursday, my quartet competes on Friday, choruses compete on Saturday, and then we drive back home on Sunday.  I have to put together my letter of intent for a grant submission by Wednesday.  And my departmental grant requests for HEETF are due end of March.

So, it's time to hunker down and get everything done.  Getting contest and the letter of intent off my back will be huge, but HEETF is also no lightweight.  So, time to boogie!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 and weights tonight and I'm back in the office, boo hiss.

HopesMom, good luck this week!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - good luck with your push week.

D - enjoy your light mileage day. Sorry you've got to be back at the office, but it's good that Richard is well enough that you can do so.

Push week for me too: this is my final peak week before starting taper next week. I got my Boston Passport today with the card that I need to pick up my bib and all sorts of logistical info and maps, as well as 6 pairs of free socks from Thorlo thanks to some online promotion for Boston Marathoners that I forgot I had signed up for. Nice score. I'll probably do tomorrow's run today, since we are expecting snow tomorrow, supposedly. I don't know how much will stick, but it will be falling all day.

Singer who runs a smidge

Six pair of Thorlo is a nice haul indeed!!  We're expecting some snow tomorrow, more on Wednesday.  DH is a little worried about getting out for contest on Thursday, but I am not.  No matter how much snow is on the road or whether I have to get out and shovel us a path to NC, we WILL be going on Thursday morning! 

Singer who runs a smidge

So they're calling for 3-5 inches of snow tomorrow, so I'm trying to fix things so I can work from home tomorrow if needed.  My letter of intent may be DOA if I can't get three people with NIH funding, which is rare for the type of work I'm asking about.  Well, that will make my April and May a lot easier if I can't even put in for it ...

Singer who runs a smidge

I just realized that if I get snowed out tomorrow, I need to have everything printed and set for contest, because that starts day after tomorrow!

Crazy times ...

GinnyinPA

We've had snow falling hard and fast all day today and expect more tomorrow. Only about 4 inches so far, with a total of 12 expected. We've shoveled once, just to keep it from getting too heavy to move. Walking Ben this morning was interesting when he tried to attack a snow plow. My falling was the best thing that could have happened, since I became dead weight that he couldn't drag out to the road. He made a couple of dozen snow angels - crazy dog.

Docket_Rocket

Evening!  Work has been super busy, sorry!

Went to pilates and ran 8 with 5 X 800m tonight on the TM.  We went up to 91F.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I just realized that if I get snowed out tomorrow, I need to have everything printed and set for contest, because that starts day after tomorrow!

Crazy times ...

Woohoo!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Evening! Being in court All day, I had no time to check in. Running 5 on the TM.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

The sun is shining, the snow is starting to melt, and it feels like spring! We had a lovely walk with Ben, and now I'm gearing up to go for an easy 5 miles. Hopefully I can do this without having to jump into any snow banks to avoid cars.

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like a great day, Ginny!

I have Pilates and 10 miles tonight.  Prepping for a big hearing tomorrow but at least I am home and can walk around talking to myself, lol.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

"Penguins are rolling up their sleeves and digging in!"

I spent part of the week digging out, actually, with all the snowfall.  Today, I pushed the remaining snow off the curb and back onto the street so when it melts all the gravel scooped up by the plows will be back in the road on not in the grass.  Easier that way than trying to rake it out later.

Fortunately, none of the snow interfered with my running and it looks as if I'll be able to get in a full six days this weekend, which is my preferred schedule.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Spring Distance Classic 5k, 3/24; RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6

Docket_Rocket

We do roll our sleeves. Smile

Welcome, Fred!

I went to OTF this morning and ran 2.35 there with a partner workout of run/row.  Ran 4 on the TM just now.  I feel better than Thursday/Friday but I couldn't breathe well at OTF still so either allergies or asthma.

Damaris

Fundraising Page