Beginners and Beyond

What would you do in this situation? (Read 136 times)

workinprogress11

I ran the Illinois Half Marathon yesterday.  After I finished and had my celebratory beer, I jogged to mile 25 to cheer on a friend of mine who was running the full marathon.  She is dedicated runner, but not super fast, so I had plenty of time to get there and cheer a bunch of other runners on before I finally spotted her about 5 hours and 20 minutes into the marathon.  The crowd support was next to nothing at this point so I cheered loudly as each runner went by and had the other people who were there staring at me like I was a weirdo.

Anyway, when I spotted my friend she didn't look good.  She was moving slowly and looked pretty pale.  When she spotted me she looked so grateful to see a friendly face that she came over to give me a hug.  She said she wasn't doing well and had had to stop at the medical tent a few miles prior to get Zofran (anti-nausea med) so she could continue.  She looked so defeated and so much like she just wanted to walk it in that I asked her if she wanted company and offered to run with her from mile 25 to 26.  I left her at mile 26 so she could run the .2 miles into the stadium herself.  She was extremely grateful and thanked me several times.  At the time, I didn't even think about it being a bad thing to do because I wanted to help her and there were hardly any runners or spectators around.  However, it occurred to me today that it might be looked at as banditing.  I didn't get in anyone's way as there were very few runners out there and I didn't take any water or other resources.

What would you guys have done in my place.  Should I have done what I did or should I have stayed on the sideline and given her as much encouragement as I could before sending her on her way?

SheCan

IMO, you did the right thing.  It was so kind and thoughtful to offer your friend support like that.  If someone thinks that you were banditing the race,that's not what you were doing, so if I were you I wouldn't worry one bit about it.  Everyone needs a good friend like you!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jess runs for bacon

IMO bandit ing is where you run all or most of the course. You did the right thing Smile

Just B.S.

You did the right thing. I ran with  a friend during a marathon last October.

In miles 15-18 and then I drove ahead and picked him up again for miles 22-24.  It

was a small marathon, he had little or no company running and no spectators. It

helped him tremendously and I was glad to have done it.

It happens a lot, especially in small marathons. Don't worry a bit. I'm sure you friend

was very grateful and that's what counts.

Philliefan33

You did the right thing. Who cares what some random stranger might think, your friend needed you.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've helped many a friend through portions of their races like that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

You did good. I bet she rrally appreciated the help. Way to be there for her and to cheer in the others.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

No more marathons

I'd like to think I'd do the same thing given the chance.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Little Blue

Especially since you ran the HM, I don't see how you could be considered a bandit.  You paid all of the fees to be on the course, and you only ran one mile with her.  I think you're fine.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Saw some people pacing friends of theirs at today's half...I find it very sporting, actually.  Plus, you didn't cross the finish line, so it's all good.

Docket_Rocket

No banditing today.  I have been paced at the end of a race by some faster friends in my running groups.  Thanks for doing it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I'v done the same thing, ran the half and then paced a friend in for their finish.  You did the right thing To make sure your friend was Ok.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

RSX

I don't worry about anyone's bandit definition. You were a great friend to do that.

happylily

You absolutely did the right thing, no doubt in my mind!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Don't call me Buttercup!

You didn't use any race resources, and you only ran for a mile.  Plus, like people said, you ran the half and therefore were there in a "legit" capacity anyway.  You did a good thing, helping your friend!

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to!