Beginners and Beyond

Windy Weekend Penguins (Read 13 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

It's a blustery day here, dark, cloudy and windy.  I'm glad I'm not running in it.  After we walk Ben, we're driving over to Gettysburg to pick up my race bib and drive the new HM course.  I'm excited about tomorrow, even though I'm not planning to race it.  This is the first time I've done a race without intending to go all out, and it's fun to just go for the atmosphere without having to worry about the results. It will just be a long run with company, a medal and beer at the end. Actually, that sounds like a couple of the beer runner events I've done.

LRB

The gray skies and rain has moved on, but it's windier than heck outside. I'm trying to decide how to dress for my jog crap since it's cold, but the sun is shining.

Zelanie

Ginny, that sounds like a lot of fun.  I hope that you enjoy the race!  You and Jerry have similar plans.

I am happy with my MP run last night.  I got home and my daughter had just gotten into town.  She drove the whole way herself, so it was god that I was out running instead of home worrying.  Today I have probably 8 with the dogs, plus family stuff.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

On our way to Grand Rapids.  Looks like a perfect race day tomorrow.

LRB

On our way to Grand Rapids.  Looks like a perfect race day tomorrow.

Great event. 'Twas my first half marathon way back in 2011. Holland Brewery is a sponsor so the recovery drinks should be tasty. Smile

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Yesterday, I had Barre class, 8.35 miles with hubby and weights.  Tonight, I have 20 miles.

Ginny, hope your HM is going well.

Zelanie, glad your MP run went well.

Jerry, good luck today!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

It was a beautiful day for a run, with some autumn color, sun and clouds, and 52 degrees. I enjoyed the race, even though it was, as expected, a PW.  Still, I intended to average 10 mm. and I ended up with 10:04, so I'm not complaining.  Of course, it was my usual strategy of starting too fast then crash and burn in the second half, but I really didn't care. This was the biggest race I've run, with 843 in the HM, and it was fun to see the line of people ahead, running up or down the hills.  it is definitely a rolling course, but nothing bad.  The biggest hill is only 100' up and the longest was 1.1 km. They were probably the same hill.

The oddest part of the event was watching a woman about 10 feet in front of me get run over by a deer. Shades of Scotty.  I heard rustling in the cornfield beside us, wondered what it was, then watched as a doe ran out into the road, tried to leap over the runner, and knocked her down instead.  There wasn't any blood, but the runner seemed dazed. There was an aid station 100 yards beyond, so a couple of us ran and asked them to call an ambulance.

PADRunner

Glad you had a good race Ginny.

I had a 10 mile trail run this morning in Dinosaur Valley State Park. It was a preview run for the Big Cedar Endurance runs (1/2, 50k, 50 mile & 100 mile) in 2 weeks. I'm not running  in it just went went out for the run.

And I hit a deer on the way there. Broke the mirror in my side view, deer wasn't there when I stopped. don't  see how it got up.

Zelanie

PAD, that sounds lovely!

Ginny, glad you had a good race!  I hope that the woman who got hit by the deer is OK.

No deer at all on my run today.  I ran 10.

Docket_Rocket

Oh, did I say 20?  I meant 9.  Yes. Cause I did 9.

Ginny, nice job!

Z, mine were as hard as yours.

PAD, nice run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Z, mine were as hard as yours.

Let's just say that it was good I was still a mile away from my house at 9.

PADRunner

Dino tracks.

Docket_Rocket

Let's just say that it was good I was still a mile away from my house at 9.

Then mine was worse than yours.  LOL.

Damaris

Fundraising Page