Beginners and Beyond

Asheville Biltmore RR - or why I dislike marathons (Read 145 times)

No more marathons

Who are you and what have you done with bluesky?

My job here is done.  Off to the next victim....Big grin

LOL - it sure doesn't take the mind long to forget what the body doesn't like.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I guess it's not just running, but we all do seem inclined to do hings that hurt or that we don't like on a pretty regular basis.  We're a sick group really.  That does sound like some awful course planning to stick you with that big hill twice.  A hill is bad enough, at least a new one would have given you a change of scenery.  As for feeling a burn at miles 6, I could see that causing a little panic!  At least you got through it and it's over!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Just B.S.

I don't think Ottawa is in the cards, but thanks for the invite.  DW says if we do another "destination" marathon it needs to be in Ireland or Scotland, and preferably it's a half so I'm not completely shot after. Big grin  Know anything about either of those locals?

Sorry that you were disappointed in your race but congrats on another finish!

We did Ottawa in 2012. Awesome race. A little too many people for me but my favorite city and our

son lives there so that makes it perfect.

FYI on the above. Hubby and I are travelling with a group of 35 to do this marathon in late September.

9 nights/10 day tour of Ireland as well.

http://www.mooathon.com/

Hubby and I don't really enjoy large big city race and the folks we travel with also like to seek out fun quirky races.

And since it will also be hubby's 50th b'day it was a perfect fit for us.

If you don't go this year I can report back. I do know the elevations in the first half are a killer.

delicate flower

It really does not sound like you had the mind/body partnership working well at all.  Thanks for sharing the report...these types of reports are always an interesting read.

<3

dallison

registered pw

Congrats on finishing. I can understand the feeling of never wanting to do the same race again.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

YAYpril - B-Plus

I was interested in hearing about this race because my best friend lives in Asheville and I'm always looking for an excuse to visit. I love that town. I'm sorry it didn't end well for you, but major kudos to you for finishing in those conditions.

I'll keep an eye on the next couple years and see if they make any major changes, but as it is right now, I have no interest in running what you described to us, LOL.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

In my younger days I mainly went for the 10K, and 15K distances.  The marathon was "the challenge", especially with the dream of a BQ.  But I've never really enjoyed the distance, or the training involved.  I'd much rather run ladders at the track than a 16 miler on the weekend.

I thinking now of looking for some local halfs to run, and see if I can do some improvement there.

Sorry it was such a tough race!  I am with you on hating long distance, and I hate marathons.  I did 5 and hated pretty much all but 2 of them, and have just accepted that 1) I'm not good at them and 2) I don't need to do them just because so many other people do, or because everyone around me who knows I'm a runner is like "So when are you going to run a marathon?"  I see it like I'm on the track and field team.  People who are naturally better at the 200m are not going to excel at the 10,000m, so they don't do it.  And no one tries to pressure them into doing it.  It's their niche.  Long distance isn't our niche!

Good luck in Boston, enjoy your marathon swan song!  One good thing is, there's a big chance the weather will be nicer there! Smile

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Dr. Cornsitter

LOL - it sure doesn't take the mind long to forget what the body doesn't like.

That's why women keep having kids after the first one.

And I've been to Asheville and though it's beautiful it does not sound like the RD made very many good decisions for incorporating the natural beauty of the area into a race for that distance. Even fit hey offered a half marathong, it doesn't sound like one I'd want to do!

Good luck to you and your son in Boston!

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

No more marathons

That's why women keep having kids after the first one.

And I've been to Asheville and though it's beautiful it does not sound like the RD made very many good decisions for incorporating the natural beauty of the area into a race for that distance. Even fit hey offered a half marathong, it doesn't sound like one I'd want to do!

Good luck to you and your son in Boston!

I'm guessing that the comparison to birthing and marathons while appropriate, doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.

As to the beauty of the course, I think they probably did bring that into play. I'm not a good judge of how nice the scenery of a particular race course is because I’ve usually overextended myself and I’m thinking “god let this be over” rather than taking in what’s around me.  I do notice stuff like hills, rough surfaces, and anything else that makes me more miserable than I already am, but that’s all part of the marathon experience.  Were there things I would change about the course?  Of course, but I suspect on a warmer sunny day (with no wind) the sections of this race on the west side of the estate that is usually closed to the public would have been much more interesting.

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

I was interested in hearing about this race because my best friend lives in Asheville and I'm always looking for an excuse to visit. I love that town. I'm sorry it didn't end well for you, but major kudos to you for finishing in those conditions.

I'll keep an eye on the next couple years and see if they make any major changes, but as it is right now, I have no interest in running what you described to us, LOL.

I've now run six marathons, and this was by far the most difficult course.  I know there are lots of tougher marathons out there, but I'm a wimp when it comes to hills and trails, so that's what made this tough for me.  There is another marathon scheduled for September in Asheville, and it will be completely on roads, but it will also have lots of hills - just no way to get around that in the mountains.

There are some changes they could make to the Biltmore course that would make it flatter by running more along the river, but they may want to keep the original course - just to give it it's own unique flavor.  Since it sold out this year well in advance of the race date, I'm guessing they won't make too many changes in the short term.

As I've said before (at least I think I did), I'm glad I ran this marathon and I'm even more glad that I finished it, but I won't be running it again.  (Of course, I've never run the same marathon twice).

He's a leaker!

Supersono99

Sorry it didn't pan out how you'd hoped. Enjoy Boston Smile

No more marathons

Here's a great RR for this event.  To put things into perspective, the author of this blog is now 67.  He still runs 10K's around 43 minutes, and occasionally breaks 20 minutes for a 5K.  At the age of 61 he ran the Portland Marathon in 3:10.

It's a great read:  http://www.blueridgerunner.com/2013/03/asheville-marathon-at-biltmore-estate.html#more

He's a leaker!

MrNamtor

Congrats on finishing and good luck in Boston!  btw, I though you and I were going to just run 5ks? Traitor! Am i the only one with the guts to maintain a low mileage training schedule around here??

No more marathons

Congrats on finishing and good luck in Boston!  btw, I though you and I were going to just run 5ks? Traitor! Am i the only one with the guts to maintain a low mileage training schedule around here??

Ha, I may race some 10Ks and even some halfs, but it will be on 25 to 30 miles per week.  Low mileage here I come.

He's a leaker!

Sorry to here you're disappointed, but a 4:15 in those hills!! man, you should be darn proud!!!! By the way I was born is West Jefferson. Not far from you.