Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 44 Shiner TX Half Moon Holidays 5K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252044%2520Shiner%2520Half%2520Moon%2520Holidays%25205K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 44th race of 2019 was the Shiner Half Moon Holidays 5K held on July 6 in Shiner, Texas at Green Dickson Park.  Start and finish area was near the Arthur Ward Pavilion in the park.  This event was part of Shiner’s Half-Moon Holidays annual celebration (July 5- July 6), which included a BBQ cookoff, a parade, youth baseball games, live music, and more.  One of the other participants told me he had heard there were about 90 participants registered for this one, so a nice turn-out for a smaller event.  Beneficiary of this race was one of the local youth athletic groups.

Race start time of 7:30 a.m.   My wife, Gail, also did this 5K.  We got to the park around 6:30 a.m., got our race packets, and I got a few pre-start photos.   As you can see from a couple of the photos, it was pretty darn foggy before the start.

Wife, Gail, before the start, and me and Gail

photo IMG_0733_zpsfq4p5lbp.jpg

photo IMG_0739_zpsamcovk05.jpg

Race day volunteers

photo IMG_0737_zpsgxts5jqy.jpg

Our race director, Julie

photo IMG_0742_zps7vzyy76b.jpg

Various participants, supporters, etc 

photo IMG_0734_zpshcj7hgkc.jpg

photo IMG_0735_zps3bx6jplm.jpg

My AMAZING running friend, Colonel (RET) Mary Kaplan, who is a Texas running legend.  Look her up and read about her exploits, including doing at least one race in EVERY county in Texas, and that is a lot of counties.

photo IMG_0741_zpstkvywqhz.jpg

Of course the doggie got treats from me!

photo IMG_0736_zpsyvvftd2h.jpg

Veteran's Memorial, with a bit of fog around it

photo IMG_0743_zps7wvcsjoa.jpg

photo IMG_0744_zpso4mftsnk.jpg

photo IMG_0745_zpspcb7kl51.jpg

From the Veterans Memorial hill, a view of the pavilion near the start/finish area

photo IMG_0746_zpsfgigkewj.jpg

Waterway in the park, shrouded with fog...

photo IMG_0747_zpssbs6qkb3.jpg

A view of the water from where we lined up for the start

photo IMG_0748_zpstcj7jkjc.jpg

The front of the pack before the start

photo IMG_0749_zps7lva2aoy.jpg

In the start crowd

photo IMG_0750_zpsdg0lfud5.jpg

Behind me in the start crowd

photo IMG_0751_zpsxjuk2kl7.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Start a little back from the pavilion and the finish was right by the finish. This was a very nicely laid-out loop course that exited us from the park and onto public roads which took us by some residential areas and a couple of business places for the first half.  The last half of the race looped us through a really nice residential area, then back onto the first public road we had started on.  After that, it was down this road and a turn back into the park onto the road that took us to the finish.  I ended up with 34 minutes and change, good enough for 3rd in my age group.  Of course, it also helped that there were only 3 in my age group, I think.  My wife, who walked the course, told me she finished "slow" in 47 minutes;  I don't think that is so slow...she averaged 15-something minute miles, walking.  I couldn't walk that fast.

A little over a half-mile into the race

photo IMG_0752_zpsyw0bxfg0.jpg

photo IMG_0753_zpsvndpvoqa.jpg

photo IMG_0754_zpskclphofe.jpg

photo IMG_0755_zpszqtkqyw0.jpg

photo IMG_0756_zps9yfq0big.jpg

photo IMG_0757_zpsl4fepmjm.jpg

Just a tad over the half-way mark.  Fog was less around this point, probably due to houses and business buildings around us.

photo IMG_0758_zps5dyoaawv.jpg

photo IMG_0759_zpsopamwewt.jpg

photo IMG_0760_zps6qwnddm7.jpg

photo IMG_0761_zpsmzlqguqg.jpg

photo IMG_0762_zps4fepd5ue.jpg

photo IMG_0763_zps4choagmp.jpg

photo IMG_0764_zpsxdvrtfcf.jpg

Nice, going along a line of flags.  God Bless America.

photo IMG_0765_zpso0zzxkvi.jpg

Nice touch.  A family in this neighborhood had a sprinkler going for all the participants who wanted to cool off a bit on a humid day, and several participants did just that. One of the local runners told this family did this every year for this race.  Thanks!

photo IMG_0766_zpsrhdtk5th.jpg

After that last photo, it was nonstop running for me all the way back to the finish.

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water, did a short cool-down walk, relaxed a bit, and then also enjoyed a nice cold adult beverage – Shiner Beer, of course, as Shiner is the home of the historic Spoetzel Brewery that makes this beer.  Sweet.  After that, I wandered around chatting with people and getting some post-race photos of what I call the “Happy Finishers” – since more people are smiling after the race than before and during, lol – and also supporters, volunteers, etc.

A few photos of people coming in a few minutes or so after I did.  Fog was still hanging around in the park.

photo IMG_0767_zpsb1hwpv7w.jpg

photo IMG_0768_zpsuakjdw3e.jpg

photo IMG_0769_zpsfoof8trq.jpg

photo IMG_0770_zpsrhvuhdg1.jpg

photo IMG_0771_zpsshtukcrf.jpg

With friend, Liz, enjoying a post-race cold one

photo IMG_0778_zpsolrcfiuy.jpg

Happy finishers, et al....

photo IMG_0772_zpsgwv28dbm.jpg

photo IMG_0773_zpsmvqaofir.jpg

photo IMG_0774_zpsqfyyxz4a.jpg

photo IMG_0775_zpsucrlxsgm.jpg

photo IMG_0776_zpsww3mwpsy.jpg

photo IMG_0777_zpsxr2ex8mi.jpg

photo IMG_0779_zpsytrl9u1a.jpg

3rd place in my age group

photo IMG_0780_zpsuepq5pmv.jpg

This firefighter walked the course in full gear.  

photo IMG_0781_zpswufwf6nu.jpg

He and friends started a foundation for firefighters with cancer.  God bless you, buddy.  He graciously let me have a photo with him.

photo IMG_0783_zpsbixa8p4q.jpg

EPILOGUE

I don’t know if our Race Director, Julie, laid out the course or it was someone else; but whomever did, it was well done. Personally, I prefer loop courses over any other type of course, so this event ‘hit the spot’ for me.  Nice route with wide roads, friendly people along the way, and also, as the roads were still open, friendly drivers who were very patient with we participants. Nice quality race shirts for participants, and timing chips already on the bibs, so no ‘extra stop’ to get a timing chip.  Goodies consisted mainly of various fruits, bottled water, and those cold adult beverages.  Medals to the first 3 male and female finishers in each age group.  I did this race once quite a few years back and from what saw at this year’s event, it’s only gotten better. I will definitely do this one again and certainly would recommend it to others.

BIG MUCHAS GRACIAS to all the people involved that were responsible for we participants having this event:  Race Director Julie and all her volunteers; all the law enforcement folks out there on the public roads for us and the local park officials; all the race sponsors; the Shiner residents and the park campers/visitors for letting us invade their spaces for a while; and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all so much.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt